Jambands.ca

John Prine recommendations?

bradm

After hearing about three or four John Prine covers on Saturday night, I think it's high time I bought some of his stuff. What I want is a compilation of his better-known hits (e.g., "Illegal Smile," "Angel From Montgomery," etc.), but the discography I found doesn't list any kind of "greatest hits" package. Does anybody have any recommendations as to which album(s) of his would be best to pick up?

Aloha,

Brad

Prime Prine is his best of, I believe.

Thanks, if no other reason than I now realize that allmusic's discographies are sub-divided into "Main Albums" vs. "Compilations." The John Prine compilations list includes Prime Prine, along with Great Days: The John Prine Anthology, which seems to be the one to get (the description of "Prime Prine" says it's been superseded by "Great Days").

I recommend: Fair & Square (his latest), and In Spite of Ourselves (duets).

Thanks; I'll look into these, too.

Aloha,

Brad

I agree that you should certainly pick up his original self titled album. It's basically a greatest hits album on its own. I also love Sweet Revenge.

You should also consider purchasing his live set from bonnaroo 2005. It's on the livebonnaroo.com site and is really great.

Bradm, did you happen to catch him at Bluesfest last year?

I agree that you should certainly pick up his original self titled album. It's basically a greatest hits album on its own. I also love Sweet Revenge.

Cool; thanks.

You should also consider purchasing his live set from bonnaroo 2005. It's on the livebonnaroo.com site and is really great.

I might do that.

Bradm, did you happen to catch him at Bluesfest last year?

No, I skipped Bluesfest completely last year.

Aloha,

Brad

John Prine recommendations?

Next time he's playing in Ontario, get yourself a ticket. You will not be disappointed.

My recommandation would be 'Sweet Revenge' also, I grew up hearing that album and will never tire of hearing it. But you really can't go wrong with any other recommandations posted here either, in my opinion.

When we buried my father, we played John Prine for his send off. JP was probally the only artist (for many years) me and the old man ever saw eye to eye on.

When we buried my father, we played John Prine for his send off. JP was probally the only artist (for many years) me and the old man ever saw eye to eye on.

Wow. My father passed away when I was 11. Growing up our record collection was almost completely made up of my mom's records. Dad only had Prine. It's how I got to know and love him. Needless to say John Prine's music is very important to me.

No' date=' I skipped Bluesfest completely last year.[/quote']

Woozle wazzle??????????????

Beats the heck out of me why I skipped it. It was probably due to the line-up not really convincing me to get a pass to be there all week (which also would have required taking time off work, I figure), and there not being a single day's set of artists that justified paying the individual day ticket prices. (I'm not saying skipping the fest was a smart move on my part*, just that it happened.)

I do, however, have my festival pass (ticket) for this year safely ensconsed where I keep tickets to upcoming shows. :)

Aloha,

Brad

* In the words of my father, "It seemed like a good idea at the time."

Wow. My father passed away when I was 11. Growing up our record collection was almost completely made up of my mom's records. Dad only had Prine. It's how I got to know and love him. Needless to say John Prine's music is very important to me.

Same here my friend, same here.

Cheers to em both eh.

wonderful, AB...thanks for sharing that! Music is such a powerful connector.

Prine is the only show I've ever seen front row centre (thanks Basherman!) and it was lovely, awesome, fun, good times. He's such a good storyteller, too!

[/quote

Same here my friend, same here.

Cheers to em both eh.

Aye.

On another note, Todd Snider is playing ottawa bluesfest this year, twice! He is on Prine's Oh Boy label and is a chip off the old Prine block.