Jambands.ca

Daniel Johnston MTV taping today in Toronto

bouche

I was there, Mike I saw you but didn't go up front to say hi. Your brother grabbed my anus so that's sort of a familial hi I think.

The show was better than I was expecting. The opening few songs done solo with acoustic guitar where "good" but in a way that made you want to break down and cry for him. The rest of the set he was backed by Jon Bartlett and a few other Kelp records alumni and the set took a big leap up IMO. Overall it was a great show with alot of emotional intensity on Johnston's part.

That band made up of Kelp folks are all huge DJ fans and they knew all of his songs. They only had a short time to rehearse with Daniel at the sound check so it came out great.

Freak By Night and I were there early for an interview for an upcoming podcast and were treated to a private show in their sound check.

Time ran out and his brother Dick Johnston invited us out to a comic book store with them and then they treated us to dinner where I sat beside DJ and Freak was across from him. We recorded all of our chatter over dinner. It was a very interesting experience.

The show was beautiful. The band was living a dream playing with Daniel and Daniel was doing great with them. His brother said that Daniel loves to play with people because he is SO nervous.

"We're gonna rock this town tonight!" was a good anthem.

I got a bunch of photos before the show, so I'll post more as I get some time. Dave and I will also finish off the podcast in the next week or so. It'll be the most interesting podcast you've ever heard!

Check out the photo with Daniel and the band

Yeah, Adam pretty much nailed my sentiments even though I could hear a couple of my board friends groaning "I paid 20$ for this shit?" at certain moments. Mind you, they werent there but I still could make out their lamenessesses.

You know who you are. ;)

I thought a few tunes were cut early until I got home and realized they were only 2 verse songs to begin with. I'll tell you what though, that bar was packed and hot. I was sitting on the stage (standing a couple of times to try and get a decent picture) but found I had to move towards the back of the crowd about 6 tunes into the set.

A few times Daniel started to sing in the wrong spot, so the band had to be really on their toes and follow them while keeping themselves together. Over-all, I thought they did a pretty good job of it but this isnt for everyone's ears.

I liked the show. It was a short set, about 50 minutes, but I expected that. Lots of favourites were played: Casper the Friendly Ghost, Walking the Cow, Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Your Grieviance, Speeding Motorcycle, Devil Town and others. The band worked well with Johnston under the circumstances.

I was amused by Daniel chain smoking in Zaphods before the show.

jon bartlett just left my place - i ordered some merch from kelp records and rather than make me pay for shipping he hand delivered my order. had a small chat, said the show was pretty fun and that the idea to get locals to be the band was Dick's. Didn't mention anything about going to Hamilton to do it all over again though. Maybe the rest of the crew (Rolf etc) can handle it without him.