Jambands.ca

Prince plays 21 shows in London UK this summer

AD

Prince plans 'extended stay' in London with 21-concert series

British fans of Prince will get many chances to see him perform this summer, with the diminutive pop icon announcing on Tuesday his plan to stage 21 concerts in London.

The singer's The Earth Tour is set to begin Aug. 1, but the London concerts will be his only European dates.

prince-london-cp-2922515.jpg

Each ticket will cost £31.21 (about $69 Cdn) — in a reference to the name of his album 3121 — and will come with a free copy of the album.

"Last time I was here, a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we are trying to make it affordable for everybody," Prince said at a news conference in London.

"That's why we are doing such an extended stay."

One week's worth of concerts will take place at London's O2 arena, with others to be scheduled for smaller venues around the city.

Continue Article

The prolific singer, songwriter and musician also intends to draw from his vast repertoire of hits and cover other artists' materials during his U.K. stint. He told the news conference that he has prepared approximately 150 songs for his 21 London concerts.

"There are going to be so many nights here that we are going to change the show every night," he said, hinting that he could cover songs by the Beatles or current British hit-maker Amy Winehouse.

He added that London has hosted some of his favourite shows and he is on the lookout for a place in the city where he will stay for the duration of his concert series.

In the past, the singer has also developed a reputation for turning up — with no notice — at small bars and musical clubs in cities where he is staying and giving impromptu performances.

With files from the Associated Press

Last time I was here, a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we are trying to make it affordable for everybody. That's why we are doing such an extended stay.

A pretty cool idea, although I fail to see how charging $70 a pop makes it "affordable for everybody". Granted, I realize he could charge more than double that and still sell out 21 shows, but I don't see how doing a large number of shows that aren't especially cheap makes them more accessible to people who normally can't spend big bucks on a show.

Last time I was here' date=' a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we are trying to make it affordable for everybody. That's why we are doing such an extended stay.[/quote']

A pretty cool idea, although I fail to see how charging $70 a pop makes it "affordable for everybody". Granted, I realize he could charge more than double that and still sell out 21 shows, but I don't see how doing a large number of shows that aren't especially cheap makes them more accessible to people who normally can't spend big bucks on a show.

£31.21 is the price of a pretty nice dinner and an AMAZING price for a show. I don't think the conversion to CAD is fair.

Last time I was here' date=' a lot of people didn't get to see me, so we are trying to make it affordable for everybody. That's why we are doing such an extended stay.[/quote']

£31.21 is the price of a pretty nice dinner and an AMAZING price for a show. I don't think the conversion to CAD is fair.

Decent price, perhaps, but not amazing IMO. I just converted it online (using this website) and it said that it's about $68 CAD. I'm not saying that's outrageously expensive, but a $70 ticket hardly merits blowing the affordability horn.