Jambands.ca

USWM - PJC 2007-04-27 (sendspace)

Esau.

Ok, I haven't bothered with working out the setlist yet, nor did I tag the mp3 files (encoded to 320). I will eventually post the set (tracks) I guess but for now this is it.

I didn't record this, but I know who did and will get the exact source info one day.

The taper however, edited the recording while tracking it and removed any and all talking bewteen songs. I asked for a full version and he doesn't have it anymore. I can say its a multi-track (channel whatever) and it sounds really great in my opinion.

United_Steel_Workers.jpg

[color:red]The United Steelworkers Of Montreal

The Pepper Jack Cafe

Hamilton, ON

2007-04-27

SBD (multi-track)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/mjuudr

How some folks enjoy..

Edited by Guest

Cheers Brad, here's a track I have posted on my googlepage from their album 'Broken Bottles and Broken Trucks' I meant to add a couple more but haven't.

Life Bearable In Texas

Also, if anyone who enjoys this wants a lossless copy, we can work something out and I'll get a copy to whoever, either bittorrent or multiple sendspace links, whichever.

Track four - Union Man

Probally my favourite song of the night. Written for the guys father. It hit close to home for me and brought the tears to the surface. So damn good, in my opinion.

[edit to add]

Time for a beer.

Edited by Guest

Right on Willy, I had already burned a lossless copy for you. When we cross paths next I'll pass it along, that is if you want it.

[edit to add]

I'd like to give a huge thanks to Mike (Battleship Ethel) who also works at Pepper Jacks for recording this. I owe that guy a handful of beers for this.

Edited by Guest

I listened to it, and wow!, did I not like it. The up-tempo tunes were played 'way too fast (so fast the lyrics go whizzing by before you get a chance to understand them), almost as if they were substituting stiff breakneck speed for expressive power, and the down-tempo tunes sounded like dirge to me. The male singer's voice was monotonally (or minimalllytonally) gruff all the time (screaming more than singing, almost), and while the female singer's voice was better, she didn't use it effectively (to my ears). The backing playing was competent, but not outstanding. There were some good lyrical moments, but I think they got overwhelmed by (or lost in) the arrangements.

As a fronting band for a bar full of beer-drinkers and hell-raisers, it might work, but their stuff isn't for me. (For a beer-drinkin'/hell-raisin' night, I much prefer the music of The John Henrys.)

(All of the above is intended to be read as a "my opinion only" thing. I fully accept that there are people, like Alabama Man, who dig these guys and their playing immensely, and I won't discount that opinion or say it's wrong, as I can see why some might like their music. I didn't write the above lightly, and almost reserved it for a private topic to Alabama Man, but decided to try getting some truly critical thoughts out. May Ba'al have mercy on my soul.)

Aloha,

Brad

Personally, I really have no problems making out the lyrics, nor find the music to be overly fast (in comparison to some music I listen to), although I can understand that the singers voice may not appeal to everyone.

Can't win em all I guess eh. As much as I may disagree with some of what you said, I do appreciate your honest input Brad. Cheers.

[edit to add]

ps. And thanks for not taking it to PM, I've hyped these guys pretty hard over the last two weeks, so a good dose of opposition is good to keep it all grounded.

Edited by Guest

• 1 month later...