Jambands.ca

Stoned cop calls 911 fearing overdose on pot

Kanada Kev

Wayyyyy too funny. From boingboing:

Police officer Edward Sanchez of Dearborn, Michigan made some pot brownies with his wife and got so paranoid that he called 911 for fear they were dying. The recording of the 911 call is absolutely insane. From a transcript:

Sanchez:I think I'm having an overdose. and so is my wife.

911: Overdose of what?

Sanchez: Marijuana...

Sanchez: We made brownies. and I think we're dead. I really do...

Sanchez: Time is going by really, really, really slow...

Sanchez: What's the score in the Red Wings game?

911: I've got no clue, i don't watch the Red Wings.

Sanchez: I just wanted to make sure this isn't some kind of hallucination I'm having.

Link to AP article, Link to MP3 of the call

Police officer who baked brownies laced with pot avoids criminal charges

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) — A police officer will avoid criminal charges despite admitting he took marijuana from criminal suspects and, with his wife, baked it into brownies.

The police department's decision not to pursue a case against former Cpl. Edward Sanchez left a bad taste in the mouth of at least one city official, who vowed to investigate.

"If you're a cop and you're arresting people and you're confiscating the marijuana and keeping it yourself, that's bad. That's real bad," said City Councilman Doug Thomas.

Sanchez, who resigned last year from the department in this Detroit suburb, declined comment Wednesday to the Detroit Free Press. Police Cmdr. Jeff Geisinger did not return calls seeking comment.

The department's investigation began with a 911 call from Sanchez's home on April 21, 2006. On a 5-minute tape of the call, obtained by the Free Press, Sanchez told an emergency dispatcher he thought he and his wife were overdosing on marijuana.

Story continues Story continues

Advertisment

"I think we're dying," he said. "We made brownies and I think we're dead, I really do."

Sanchez later told police investigators that his wife took the marijuana out of his police vehicle while he was sleeping. In a subsequent interview, he admitted he got the marijuana out of the car himself and put it in the brownie mix, police said.

His wife also was not charged.

Edited by Guest

I just heard a story from a friend who made some cookies, gave one to his boss and the same thing happened, his boss called 911.

He thought that it was kinda funny until he tried one, he ate a quarter of a cookie and said that he was so messed and couldn't function for hours.

Too much green I guess.

If you make the 'butter' right, baked goods can be super potent...I remember about 5yrs ago at my brothers wedding, one of our friends showed up with a batch of cookies, we all ate two of them, luckily my brother and bride didnt, cause we all felt like we were on shrooms. I was flying high and feeling so great, everyone else suffered differnt fates, one friend proceeded to guzzle an intire bottle of champaigne and passed out face down, the friend that made the cookies had to lay under an apple tree and pet our family dog the entire night... I love baked good :)

I met a guy while I was in Amsterdam who said that, while he was in the "red light" district in Zurich, he ate two cookies...and couldn't speak for four hours. Apparently the next two hours of the experience were fun, but the first two thirds were extremely debilitating. (I also read about a shop in Amsterdam that sold brownies that you apparently had to "play your day around"; luckily, the shop had a lounging area with big soft cushions...)

Aloha,

Brad

that reminds me of space cakes my buddy and i had in amsterdam and then we went to the van gogh museum. i spent about 3 hours in the museum having a great time. when i came out my buddy was sitting leaning up against the wall staring off. i asked, have you been here long? he said about 3 hours, had to leave the museum after 5 minutes...lol

I remember one time at Frontier Town a bunch of buddies and myself ate some 'gooballs' before we went up to the stage. I remember that Jo Momma was playing and we were all sitting in a row on one side of a picnic table watching the show. One by one all of us started falling asleep right at the table and then staggered off to our respective tents. The night was over by about 9:30. Good times?

globe & mail:

Mavis Becker was a little early to the psychedelic Sixties. In the mid-Fifties, at the tender age of 14, she started smoking pot. Within a decade, most of her friends were taking Timothy Leary's advice to turn on, tune in and toke up.

Not much has changed since.

Ms. Becker may be a little older and a little greyer, but she still enjoys a good joint on the balcony of her home in Burnaby, B.C. She sometimes even shares one with her 93-year-old father, who suffers from dementia and diabetes. "I find that if I share a joint with him he tends to relax and go to bed quietly," Ms. Becker said.

As the baby-boom generation limps into old age, they're bringing hippie-era drug habits with them.

"There's so many of us you wouldn't believe it," Ms. Becker said of seniors on drugs. "My friends are pretty much all like me." The population of Canadians aged 65 to 74 will nearly double from 4.3 million to eight million by 2026, according to Statistics Canada.

Some 600,000 older Canadians reported abusing alcohol or drugs in a recent study by the Canadian Centre on Substance Abuse, and that number is set to swell as a wave of oldsters weaned on Woodstock and tie-dye hits retirement age.

The spectre of old-age homes filling with pot smokers and crack heads is daunting for the scant few organizations in the country devoted to treating addictions among seniors.

"We're seeing a huge jump," said Marilyn White-Campbell, who works with addicted seniors through Ontario's Community Outreach Programs in Addictions. "It used to be just alcohol was a problem. Now we're seeing seniors using marijuana, heroin, crack cocaine, OxyContin.

There's even quite a few on methadone maintenance. I'd only seen three of those in the previous 20 years." The bump in older drug users is mainly a function of demographics.

The oldest baby boomer today would have been the impressionable age of 21 during the hash-infused Summer of Love. Nearly one in three baby boomers has smoked pot at some point in their lives, according to the CCSA survey.

The infirmities and isolation of age also play a role. Some seniors start using recreational drugs as a way of coping with physical ailments or the anguish of losing loved ones.

But the guiltless high that many seniors remember from their youth now has consequences. Even once they've kicked a drug habit, the effects can linger for up to a year.

"The problem is their bodies are less able to handle the drug," said Charmaine Spencer, a researcher with the Gerontology Research Centre at Simon Fraser University. "So they are more likely to end up with a drug overdose, or in hospital, or end up dying." Even the most benign of street drugs can create problems with age. Seniors who've been smoking pot heavily for decades are appearing in homes and doctors' offices with a form of frontal-lobe dementia, COPA's Ms. White-Campbell said. For long-term cocaine users, those effects can strike in their 50s.

Despite the rapid growth in elderly drug addiction, the problem has gone largely unrecognized. Across Canada, barely 10 organizations deal with issues of drug abuse among seniors, and all are based in major cities.

"We have next to nothing on the prevention side available," Ms.

Spencer said. "If they develop a problem, the resources in most communities currently are not there." Among younger people, harm reduction has become the prevailing method of drug-abuse treatment in many Canadian cities. That attitude, which focuses on safer using rather than kicking the habit, is slowly working into treatment of the elderly as well.

But that approach can create a problem when seniors enter hospitals and old-age homes, where residents are not allowed to smoke cigarettes, much less spark a joint.

Ms. Becker, the pot smoker, once worked in a nursing home and saw firsthand the staff's difficulties dealing with drug users.

"I did have an old lady there who smoked pot but it was so frowned on," Ms. Becker said. "Her son used to take her on a little drive and when she came back she was much more relaxed and happy." Before baby boomers start inundating old-age homes, more has to be done to recognize and accommodate their drug habits, say those who work with senior users. "This has largely remained invisible in older adults," Ms. Spencer said. "Drug use is not limited to young people. Older people are deserving of help." Some older Canadians may be looking for a different kind of help.

"I hope my grandchildren are willing to roll me a doobie," Ms.

Becker said, "if my arthritis gets too bad."

I remember one time at Frontier Town a bunch of buddies and myself ate some 'gooballs' before we went up to the stage. I remember that Jo Momma was playing and we were all sitting in a row on one side of a picnic table watching the show. One by one all of us started falling asleep right at the table and then staggered off to our respective tents. The night was over by about 9:30. Good times?

I think I may have had one of those goo balls. I remember going into my tent and praying that the star would stop spinning. It was an early night for me to.

I do like eating pot though. We've had some good cookies lately. They give me lots of energy and silliness.

I know the usual way to bake with pot is to make "bud butter," but do other forms of fat (vegetable or peanut oil, for example) work as well?

Aloha,

Brad

I don't know about other oils, but I know some folk just add the pot into the mix...seems to work.

I used to go to the grocery store and have my crazy-cookies vacuumed sealed, then ship them all over the world to my friends at X-mas.

Reading this thread makes me want to get back to India and down more bhang lassis (bud/yogourt milkshakes). That is the best way I've yet run across to take it in (um, unless your plan is to take an overnight bus across Rajasthan and then you start wondering, as it kicks in, just how you would do dealing with the bus being pulled over by bandits in the middle of the desert).

Reading this thread makes me want to join the Temperance Union (i.e., booze bad, bud good; great swaths of humanity would insist on this).

lol I'm imagining everyone going home and adding it to their dinner!

I've added a dash to my olive oil and balsamic salad dressing, and nothing adds color to your mashed potatoes then a little bud....season to taste! And possibly some in my morning smoothie, upon DEM's suggestion. Remember, take care of your lungs!! ;)

I find the taste of butter is way better if you strain the fibre.

Debilitating at times for sure. Fun though when they're on.

Any oil should work although I've only used butter. I believe the reason the THC migrates into the fat is that THC is fat-soluble or hydrophobic (if they are not necessarily the same thing, you get the point...).

Mmmm, time to do some baking...

MAN! that call was hilarious!! i wonder if his wife was falling asleep because of the vicaden

"uhmmm you can tell your police they just passed me"

hhahahahahahahhahahha

see how he avoided her when she started asking how much he bought?

hey bradm, the thc comes over in almost any fat-oil, i always use clarified unsalted butter, and always strain the plant matter out, unless its choice bud. but not in just water, that old shake-tea or whatever just doesnt work. i love cooking w/buds, my one friend came up with this disgusting idea of a cookie-brownie pie, all with pot butter. i think it was just using cooking mix as pie crust in a piepan, then adding the brownie mix in as pie filling. haha

the lady says a different score than the guy says too, maybe it was just a hallucination