Jambands.ca

I Call Bullshit On...

shainhouse

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe that saying means that you intend to bring light to the subject in a slightly different way, making it a very respectful and useful direction to take a conversation or debate.

Be that as it may, many people still cling to process and overuse catchphrases and euphemisms.

[annoying grammarian]I always use it in grammar classes as a good use of the subjunctive, which has been slipping out of English over the last couple of centuries. It's that contrary-to-the-given-state-of-things mode, like, "I insisted that she close the door" (i.e., she might not otherwise) or "long live the king" (i.e., may the king live long, which you can never expect).[/annoying grammarian]

But bullshit well called. As George Orwell said, a cardinal rule of being a good writer is, "Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print."

"At the end of the day" is one of those phrases I find myself using a lot, i.e., stupidly and unconsciously.

Irregardless of your feelings' date=' Shain, your prolly overly sensitive when people use poor grammar, invented words and meaningless cliches that have become part of the linguistic consciousness. U need 2 chillax.[/quote']

"Irregardless" ... good one!

So freakin' annoying. I think the worst part about it is that almost invariably people using it are trying to sound smart. Amusing, given that it's a made up word that by construction doesn't mean what the people using it think it does.

And yes, I realize I sound like a bit of an asshole here, but for some reason the blatant misuse of the English language bothers me more than it should. Meh.

I received an email on Friday enquiring when I would be dropping off the "creative deliverables".

They are fucking paintings!!AAArgghh.Pretentious art gobblespeak is my most hated language misuse.

I used "irregardless" recently-on this board.Sigh.I was trying to look smart too. :blush:

My dad used to punish us if we used the word "got" (among many others).He said it wasn't a real word.Is this true DEM?

My dad used to punish us if we used the word "got" (among many others).He said it wasn't a real word.Is this true DEM?

I've always thought it was a real word; it has a dictionary.com entry, and is in my ca. 1974 "Webster's Super New School and Office Dictionary," as "past tense and alternate past participle of get". The one I used to get told wasn't a word was the variant of "got," gotten.

Aloha,

Brad

And yes, I realize I sound like a bit of an asshole here, but for some reason the blatant misuse of the English language bothers me more than it should. Meh.

With generations of kids growing up on internet speak, I hope that the ability to spell and use proper grammar will become a highly valued work skill in the future.

You, me and Hamilton will make a killing. ;)