Jambands.ca

the only thing that pisses me off about this years bonnaroo.

WSP.

i mean common....

what a weak way to finish the weekend.

it just doesn't make sense in the whole festival dynamic anymore. imo.

broo has outgrown a panic headliner...they just aren't beefy enough.

the idea of a Hippy band finishing of the festival is great... phil did a great job last year...but WSP just doesn't make sense to me....

WEAK.

TOOL-> POLICE-> DMB would be better.

i liked WSP for the Sunday night closer in years past, much easier to exit the campground. no offense to those that like WSP, but I am not a fan. Plus getting a head start on the quest for a hotel room is great when there isn't a massive people and traffic jam in front of you. Just look out for Ricky Skaggs' bus.

why would that be sarcastic?

DMB would be a much better sunday headliner for so many obvious reasons that i don't even think it needs mentioning.

BONNAROO is a powerhouse of the festival....and deserves an act that at leaset has GRAND national fame and appeal....Tool, Radiohead, Police, DMB...this is the direction i want to see Bonnaroo headliners going... not some regional act that carved out a tiny niche for itself.

1)bonnaroo is turning into AMERICA's BIG ROCK FESTIVAL. DMB is currently America's Biggest Rock Band. bonnaroo used to be the biggest Hippy Fest....which is why WSP was a headliner that made sense...

2) DMB is a culturally significant band that has emense mainstream appeal. thus, making the BONNAROO festival that much more of a POWERHOUSE.

3) however, they are still musically/artistically genuine... they aren't some sellout MTV filth that has music made for them all for the image. THUS, allows bonnaroo is keep its rep.

4) dmb brings out hot brawds that get drunk and put out.

5) the first time i diddled a twat was at a dave show.

Edited by Guest

Just look out for Ricky Skaggs' bus

ooh that might've been slightly inappropriate

I do kinda agree with Dima that Panic might not be the greatest band to headline the last night, but they aren't a bad choice. As much as Roo has outgrown that "jam festy" label, they always seem to stick to their roots. I know that most people who have been at many of Roos appreciate the shout out.

The only thing that pisses me off about Roo is the friggen sponsors they got...jees Garnier Fructis showers???? Give me a freakin break...

I obviously don't know how to judge anything related to greatness but I totally agree with afro poppa. Pearl Jam is bigger than DMB and WSP put together. Sorry Hippies. Didn't Pearl Jam have a sold out stadium tour last summer? Well I don't know if they sold out but it was still a pretty big tour. I would even argue Pearl Jam is at the top of their game right now, just because they're not on the radio as much as they used to be doesn't mean squat. When was the last WSP song you heard on Q107? DMB never reached the popularity of Pearl Jam.

Edited by Guest

I obviously don't know how to judge anything related to greatness but I totally agree with afro poppa.

Greatness is relative, popularity is measurable. DMB is *huge* in the U.S. It's here in Canada that they aren't as big. And according to their web site Pearl Jam's tour was indeed extensive, but it was not a stadium tour.

DMB is a culturally significant band that has emense mainstream appeal.

frat%20boys02.jpg

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVEEEEE... CUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLTTTTTTTTTUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEE!!!!!

I have to admit. At least the little guy is making a somewhat valid point and not trying to argue that C+C Music Factory or whatever hip dance music he's seeing on Much would be better then WSP.

DMB is a "rock" band?

Why are you trying to compare apples to oranges? Metallica is big, DMB is big, Pearl Jam is big, RHCP are big, Tool is big, but all for different audiences.

How is DMB "culturally significant?" and what does that mean in a musical context? (and is it relevant?)

did canned beats just say RADIOHEAD?!

they are culturally significant for the same reasons TOOL, PEARL JAM, RHCP and METALLICA are.

they get radio play, they had a creative peak that got them alot of attention and praise...they have a loyal fanbase. and they have a gigantic draw.

WSP is not in the same league.

NOBODY, and this isn't opinion... its just straight up fact.... gives a shit about WSP except for WSP fans, and jam kids that read relix and think they know somthing.

WSP is significant to small percentage of people living in a certain region of the states, and COLORADO...

think about this... Bonnaroo is heading in the direction of being an international festival... it is getting that kind of attention... and widespread panic as headliner is the only weak part of their line up this year.

these are acts that have headlined bonnaroo. and these are the types of acts that should continue headlining bonnaroo.

Edited by Guest

but WSP just doesn't make sense to me....

Dima, I agree with you that WSP is not a bigtime headliner. I'd say they fit the crowd though. You say that Phil did a great job last year. I'd say WSP are 'bigger' than Phil and will be playing their home turf. hometown crowds love their hometown bands and it's contagious. also, there's no denying it's a hippie festival and WSP is a hippie band.

It seems Sunday is an afterthough. I'd say that Saturday night is the marquee night and, like AD said, having a band that alot of people are indifferent to on Sunday may be to everyone's benefit.

Bonnaroo is heading in the direction of being an international festival.

Bonnaroo has gotten as big as it will get. there is no such thing as an international festival. except for maybe those Live8-style shows that happen around the world. bonnaroo has international bands and fans. Right now there are 3 festivals in North America that share the top bill for the summer: Coachella, Lollapalooza, and Bonnaroo...it can't get any 'bigger.'

they are culturally significant for the same reasons TOOL, PEARL JAM, RHCP and METALLICA are.

I couldn't agree more with the bands and including DMB on that list. DMB's significance is as the most mainstream jamband ever...just because their the most simplified, basic, jam-101, trite, cutesy crap going doesn't mean their music doesn't carry the same 'spirit' that all great jam music has. So many people that haven't seen any other jamband love their live shows and love the jamband aspect of it without knowing it. as Dima knows, those thousands upon thousands of fans are mostly hot young women looking to party. massive cultural significance.

and, a little off topic, I think it's really cool that as a Bonnaroo ticket holder I got a free subscription to SPIN magazine today. it's only worth $9.95 - but still a great idea. I bought a newstand copy today to spread the love. I was done with it in about 10 minutes. nice gesture though.