Jambands.ca

David Grisman suing Youtube!

Kanada Kev

I don't have much time right now to argue.. but look at your avatars... they are photos of hockey players , cartoons and actors, that some photographer took or artist drew... do you think that you should be asking for permission or paying to use these images? The answer is yes.. but that's the grey area of the internet where image copying is so common place that you can only police the larger violators.

The point I'm trying to make is that even if he is wrong (i.e. Youtube violated his copyright rights) he is entitled to challenge the corporation.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, I followed your point all the way here and I'm going to add to that that he's making a silly lawsuit.

Even Viacom's decision to pull the clips that people recorded of their shows has been described as stupid. The Colbert Report became a phenomenon at the same time as clips of the show were being posted daily on YouTube. Now, they have control of their own clips but they have the shittiest site for playing their clips on comedycentral, and no one goes there daily; which they do for YouTube.

YouTube is that one central place where people search for things and then share them. What good is pulling your 'content' if no one's going to see the content?

let it happen David, and you'll see more people at your shows and see more sales of CD's/DVD's.

David Grisman hasn't come to Toronto in a long because he demands a very high price... so that is in line with what some of you are saying. What we don't know is his personal finanaces, so we are only speculating. I will say this there aren't many rich people who would not fight to what they may or may not be entitled to... "I'm rich enough" doesn't really seem to be a sentiment that wealthy people express. That being said, his work with Jerry is some of my favorite music ever.

~

Alabama Man, I'm not saying that we should go pirate people's images and there should be no repercussions, but linking a photo on a message board shouldn't be considered a copyright violation. If you were to use someone's photo in a magazine, or signigicant marketing campaign then the creator should be contacted a fee negotiated. If the creator doesn't want their photos linked, there are backend programs that can hide source codes of image locations.... remember the internet is primarily built on an open source code platform.

Bouche, I created that myspace page last year, and I've lifed as many photos that I could find using google image search, for this small scene; i didn't think to give anyone credit. With that program is not really clear at times who is the author of those images. You are a great photographer and I think that that group shot really helps show the sense of community that Come Together embodies... do you think I should have given photo credits?

In short I am only getting defensive about my own integrity, which is that I do not promise what I cannot deliver. I don't think that comparing using photos on a messageboard to be the same as posting something to youtube. Breaking into someone's house is much different then linking their photos on a myspace or on jambands.ca.

nuff said

Cool Jay, like I said, I wasn't meaning anything personal. Was just discussing.

I still feel that Grisman is taking it a bit far, especially since the really violations are being made by the uploaders, not Youtube. Unless of course Youtube chose to ignore requests to remove the content (unlikely).

When you upload videos to Youtube you agree that you have permission to or that you are the copyright holder of the video or content within.

The sad thing is most of what I saw (but not all) that was up on youtube was stuff you can download on almost any live music trading site like Trader's Den. Most appeared to be clips from shows that taping (audio or video) was permitted.

Anyway, I fully believe he has every right to protect or defend his art/craft, but I also feel suing over this is a bit much.

it's tough going - the photo crediting, the intellectual property rights and so on. I had a friend/professional photographer offer to donate 70 of his images to my workplace ( a charity) and you would'nt believe the amount of documentation and papermaking required by CRA. Interstingly they ask you to determine a mutually agreed-upon "fair market value" for each image but since art's value is highly subjective and there is no going rate, that can lead to artist and recipient bickering about this value...the higher it is, the higher his/her tax credit. Of course CRA also says that the charity should purchase the art in full, and the artist donates the sum back but that hurts the artist becuase it's declared as revenue. Sheesh!

As for the Grisman thing I see his point but would probably opt towards restricting the availability of content rather than suing for damages.

Isn't it mysterious that the Grateful Dead Family, pioneers of free music collection and dssemination, have become so litigious in their old age? Bobby, Mickey, now David Grisman I mean who's going to sue next?

jaydawg - in the past i've been hard on your for spelling and stuff, in this case i'm not harping on you at all, i just think you made a hilarious typo which i hope will catch on. no hard feelings or anything involved here, just humour.

a major international website is fine with removing content upon a cease and decease.

• 3 weeks later...