Jambands.ca

Pandora Party is over for Canadians

StoneMtn

I just tried to log in to listen at work, as I often do, and found this:

Dear Pandora Visitor,

We are deeply, deeply sorry to say that due to licensing constraints, we can no longer allow access to Pandora for most listeners located outside of the U.S. We will continue to work diligently to realize the vision of a truly global Pandora, but for the time being we are required to restrict its use. We are very sad to have to do this, but there is no other alternative.

We believe that you are in Canada (your IP address appears to be 66.146.133.202). If you believe we have made a mistake, we apologize and ask that you please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com

If you are a paid subscriber, please contact us at pandora-support@pandora.com and we will issue a pro-rated refund to the credit card you used to sign up. If you have been using Pandora, we will keep a record of your existing stations and bookmarked artists and songs, so that when we are able to launch in your country, they will be waiting for you.

We will be notifying listeners as licensing agreements are established in individual countries. If you would like to be notified by email when Pandora is available in your country, please enter your email address below. The pace of global licensing is hard to predict, but we have the ultimate goal of being able to offer our service everywhere.

We share your disappointment and greatly appreciate your understanding.

Sincerely,

Tim Westergren

Founder

It is a cool online music site. You could open an account and create your own playlists. You'd enter names of artists that you liked and it would pull random songs by them, and then toss at you songs that are of a similar style, composition, genre, etc. You could then give each song a thumbs up or thumbs down and it would LEARN your tastes.

I really liked it because it wouldn't just play greatest hits, and would also open your ears to some new stuff.

sounds really cool.

i don't understand why certain internet content is only useable from US users. i've tried to watch videos, and followed links and gotten a "this content is only viewable by US users" message...which really irks me, especially when i'm trying to view a CANADIAN artist. i thought the internet was global? i don't get it.

This happens because they are trying to run these sites legally; i.e. without breaching copyright laws, etc.

In the case of Pandora, they have contracts with relevant parties, presumably the RIAA in the US and others, and I believe that the contract allowing them to broadcast to Canada is no longer (or may have never existed and they are only now aware that they did not have a license to broadcast to Canada).