Jambands.ca

GD - Three From The Vault release

Kanada Kev

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/?p=623

Grateful Dead Unseals Three From The Vault

From the Better Late Than Never department comes the news that the Grateful Dead will finally be releasing Three From The Vault. In typical stoner fashion, Three From The Vault comes nearly 15 years after the release of Two From The Vault. Three From The Vault, the Dead’s second release on Rhino, will feature music from February 19th, 1971 at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester, NY.

gd72_04_14_10.jpg

2/19/71 is the first show the Grateful Dead played after Mickey Hart left the band, and I personally prefer the Dead with one drummer. The music from late ‘71 until Hart’s return in ‘74 is much more loose and free-flowing with Billy Kreutzman leading the charge by his lonesome. Highlights from Three From The Vault include a nasty Easy Wind and the first-ever Bird Song. Members of the audience at this show participated in a kooky experiment called ESP and the Dream. Craisins.

What will be interesting to see is how good this show will sound. We don’t know how you can improve upon the quality of the crispy betty board that circulates both among tapers and on the Live Music Archive. Three From The Vault hits stores on June 26th — look for Four From The Vault in 2023.

Stream it here (the old sbd version)

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-02-19.sbd.orf.1029.sbeok.shnf

Matrix version:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd71-02-19.matrix.chappell.31210.sbeok.flacf

Aud version:

http://www.archive.org/details/gd1971-02-19.aud

Band Grateful Dead

Venue Capitol Theater

Location Port Chester, NY

Date 2/19/71 - Friday

One Truckin' [7:57] ; Loser [5:50] ; Cumberland Blues [4:44] ; It Hurts Me Too [5:46] ; Bertha [4:52] ; Playing In The Band [4:48] ; Dark Hollow [3:01] ; Smokestack Lightnin' [14:42] ; China Cat Sunflower [5:14] > I Know You Rider [4:37]

Two Greatest Story Ever Told [4:09] > Johnny B. Goode [3:12] ; Bird Song [6:09#] ; Easy Wind [8:17] ; Deal [4:08] ; Cryptical Envelopment [1:46] > Drums [2:23] > The Other One [11:34] > Wharf Rat [8:33] ; Good Lovin' [18:29] ; Casey Jones [4:42]

Who is still clamoring for this stuff and why?

For one, I am. I don't have or have heard every GD show out there. I love getting the professional made recordings of great GD shows over the fan recorded AUDs or generic SBDs that inhabit the internet and I also enjoy the CD artwork and liner notes included.

Who is still clamoring for this stuff and why?

For one' date=' I am. I don't have or have heard every GD show out there. I love getting the professional made recordings of great GD shows over the fan recorded AUDs or generic SBDs that inhabit the internet and I also enjoy the CD artwork and liner notes included.[/quote']

I guess this comes the closest to my own reasoning, I find I listen with a little more focus and anticipation on the commercial releases.

Why do you like the crap you listen to?

Same reason.

My question was less about quality than it was about quantity.

Sorry, didn't mean to be a grump. I know this stuff sells. I've just burned out on the dearth of live material out there.

Why do you like the crap you listen to?

Same reason.

My question was less about quality than it was about quantity.

Sorry' date=' didn't mean to be a grump. I know this stuff sells. I've just burned out on the dearth of live material out there.

[/quote']

I was burned out too, after getting caught up and getting a lot of GD live material at once. Now, however, it has been a long enough time (for me, anyway) with no new commercial live Dead aside from the Cow Palace 76 release that I built up enough anticipation. No matter how much stuff I might already have, I still can develop an appetite for new releases. And I think you mean "surfeit", not "dearth" ... "dearth" is the opposite of what this situation is :)

That's right Jaimoe. This release is going to be sonically impeccable. I am loving these Rhino releases so far and happiness is aglow knowing the From The Vault series is being reintroduced.

I am all over this one even though I lost much interest throughout the course of the Dicks Picks series.

REALLY?

Wow. You do love your early/raw Dead! Good on ya. Its a shame that this release isnt the rumoured one that I sent you a couple of weeks ago. My email implied that it was a Pigpen compilation, which I still hope we see in the future.