Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Slip Weekend

guigsy

we could stay up drinking wine in my folks garage!

otherwise imagine Alexis will be partaking of The Slip one or both nights... might be able to sweet talk your way in (bringin beer and stuff usually gets my foot in the door)

Esau's headin for the Ghost Town, get down, don't frown

Edited by Guest
charlie brown

Missed the first half hour or so figuring that it would be the usual late start so I can't tell you about that but from the Airplane>Primitive on, it was solid but not mind blowing. Brad's voice sounded really good which always makes for a good show. Very sparce crowd which was a real surprise. Apparently everyone leaves the city on the long weekend but this was pretty rediculous. Maybe 50 people??? Way too much open space, although I like my space it was a bit strange to have such a weak turnout. I believe that they played 2 or 3 new songs mid way through, no idea what they were called. Moonlight Mile toward the end. Otherwise, it was pretty much Eisenhower material.

Methinks tonight will walk all over last night but we'll see what happens...

Very sparce crowd which was a real surprise. Apparently everyone leaves the city on the long weekend but this was pretty rediculous. Maybe 50 people??? Way too much open space, although I like my space it was a bit strange to have such a weak turnout.

Or people just realize how much their new music sucks. ;)

I thought Friday's show was great, but hey, it was only my 2nd Slip show, so what do I know?

With eyes closed, I danced through portals and across dimensions during some heavy jams, I was quite suprised to open my eyes and realize that I was just about the only person moving. Empty room. Too many competing shows for the Jambands crowd that night I guess. I hope Hamilton turnout was better?

turnout in hamilton wasnt much better - no big deal, though - the band looked to be having as much fun as i've seen them have, brad especially was tearing it up.

hamilton was incredible - weirdness put it best to me at the end of the night "this is as good as it gets!"

airplane/primitive live remix...

newer/alternate weight of soloman...

74!

YELLOW MEDICINE !!! (with a monster solo from androo)

heartbreaker and modern love covers

fuji...

even rats, life in disguise, soft machine, wine and white soda, there's a lie, suffocation keep.... anything else?

top to bottom, they brought it hard - glad i was able to make it to the hamilton show... especially considering i missed maybe more than half of toronto because of the early start time and transportation mishaps... great weekend, though!

no, my photos from the casbah were shit - i was having a terrible time with the lighting, and eventually decided to stop worrying about the camera and just enjoy the show. i didnt shoot in toronto at all.

jams of the night?

the fuji was pretty awesome, i really enjoyed the alternate techno version of airplane/primitive...

i've never seen them do yellow medicine, and i've always been from the camp that never really cared whether or not they went back to those songs all that much - maybe because i never saw them doing them all the time i didnt grow nostalgic for them - but man, yellow medicine live and in-person was incredible. i totally see why people want those bust-outs more often. andrew's solo was killer.

74 has long been a favourite of mine, and another one i'd never seen them do, so when they encored with that i was pretty happy.

i dunno, it was all awesome. there werent any holes at all - great show. lots of great shredding from brad, and like i said, they all seemed to be having such a great time up there.. you know, i was trying to catch some of marc's reactions to brad's playing, and seeing brad cheer his brother on - these guys were firing on all cylinders, and obviously they knew it, so i think it was easier for them to lighten up on stage and just pour it on.

i brought a slip first-timer and she said they restored her faith in live music.

:thumbup:

thanks for that review...im sad I choose to miss this, mostly sad that I missed yellow medicine and the fact that it sounded like it was a hell of a show...

I've been wantin them to bust that old stuff out the last 4 shows that I've seen...thats the sound that made me like them back 98/99 whenever they played that side stage at phish's camp oswego fest.

Whoever made it is dam lucky...im kickin my ass for not makin it...

Edited by Guest

just when i was about to give up on seeing old songs performed live again, the boys busted out some gems. It's funny, i wasn't sure of the format for the MTV show on Thursday, and I thought there'd be a Q&A session with the boys. there wasn't, but I had a question prepared, which was going to be something along the lines of "what are the hopes of hearing older songs making a heavier rotation in future shows?" yellow medicine kicked. hearing different versions of newer songs made me remember the older, more experimental days.

what the hell did you end up doing with yourself brian?

Too bad there was no crowd.. long weekends are a bitch and I think that the promoters didn't really do much to build any hype.

The Mod Club is a great room; the sound is great, but a small crowd can also really kill the vibe. My brother & his girlfriend went to check it out and they had fun, but felt bad for the band to be at the wrong venue for their turnout. Great to hear that the music didn't suffer.

I am pretty sure that this was the weakest turnout The Slip has ever had in Toronto.

They really should have done this show at the Rivoli.

oh well Come Together was great & I will hope to see the Slip in Toronto again soon.

-jay