Jambands.ca

Roll Call: Acres + As The Poets Affirm @ Zaphod (Ottawa) Tomorrow

bradm

I first saw Acres at Cafe Dekcuf back in August, 2006, and their music didn't really connect with me (due in part, I think, to my arriving mid-way through their set); what they did, they did well, but I just didn't "get it."

I saw them again in March (a recording of which is available here), and liked it a lot more. They did more songs with lyrics/vocals than they had done before, which helped quite a bit, I think.

But after Saturday's show at Zaphod Beeblebrox (a recording of which is available here), I am now a fan. They put on a high-energy rawk show, with aspects that sounded like punk or hardcore, and whipped the (fairly densely packed) crowd into a frenzy. The vibe in the room was palpable, and they showed a commanding presence on stage. And unlike a lot of bands that play loud/fast/powerfully, their music didn't have that feeling of negativity to it; it had emotion, feeling, power, and volume, but nothing (to my ears) in the way of hostility or anger. I was blown away by their (just-under-one-hour) set. Their next gig is in June, and I'm hoping to be there.

Aloha,

Brad

They weren't too bad, I think. They're pretty ambitious players, with (all instrumental) music that changes direction seemingly arbitrarily, at times; if there were regular structures to it, I couldn't seem to find them, which may be why it didn't really hook up for me. I'd have no problem seeing them again (if they were on a bill with another I wanted to see, for example), though. They were OK with being recorded, so I'll give a listen to what I got to see if I like it better.

Aloha,

Brad