Jambands.ca

Anybody else not own a cellphone?

d_rawk

I'm not a Luddite. Really, I'm rather enamored with technology.

But I think I've made < 5 cell phone calls in my life, all of them 'emergencies' either of the "dude is bleeding hard, oh sweet jesus don't let it end like this" variety or the "we've been circling the block for 40 minutes, where the fuck are you?" variety. (The astute reader will note that scenario b is most often, in fact, the precursor to scenario a)

A cellphone salesman (salesboy, to be frank about it) once unabashedly laughed at me over the phone for my saying that I did not want a cellphone no matter what the rate. I explained that the phone rang constantly when I was at work and I had to deal with it. The phone rang constantly when I was at home, and I had to deal with it. The only relief I got from ringing monstrosities were those brief, precious minutes in the car between place and place. The irony of him being one of those ringing nuisances while trying to sell me a new nuisance to ring seemed lost on him. That's probably why he was a phone salesboy.

Am I alone? Has anyone else out there put down their foot and said, "no, sir, I will not."?

I had a cell phone for a while. I worked at Rogers and the rate was great and the phones free for employee's. My life was much easier when I didn't have a cell phone...after I quite rogers, maybe about a year after, I decided to give it up again. At first I went through a strange withdrawal, but then life started to become simple again...no-one calling me while I was out for dinner, or taking a shit etc. It's a huge nuisance, don't get sucked in D, it sucks.

I've now been 'cell free' for about 4 months. I wonder if I get a ribbon or a token of some kind?

I'm in the club. I had one about 7 years back when I would drive from smiths falls to kingston on weekends and it was great to start calling people to find out who was ready to start drinking when I was only 20 minutes away.

I haven't had one in over 6 years and will likely only own a cellphone when I Have a device (like an iPod) that has a phone built-in and I have no option to get it without the phone.

I have a cell phone through work. I don't pay anything for it so that's good, but honestly, I hate the damn thing. If it rings it means only one thing.... work. I had to change the ring tone a couple of times because I'd "hear" it in certain songs or on the TV and get a moment of stress even though it wasn't really ringing.

My work keeps asking me to get a blackberry like everyone else in the company has. It would be free also, but I just can't stand the thought of adding emails to my after-hour worries.

Man, I'm stressed just typing this. I need a holiday. (4 weeks and counting).

I only have one when I'm living in Korea, because it's unavoidable. I have never had one in Canada, and hopefully never will. There's something awful about being "available" all the time. I know you could just not answer, but it's not the same as not answering your home phone. People will just keep calling and calling, assuming that you didn't hear the ring. If you don't answer your home phone, people assume you aren't home.

I'm not a Luddite. Really, I'm rather enamored with technology.

But I think I've made < 5 cell phone calls in my life, all of them 'emergencies' either of the "dude is bleeding hard, oh sweet jesus don't let it end like this" variety or the "we've been circling the block for 40 minutes, where the fuck are you?" variety.

A cellphone salesman (salesboy, to be frank about it) once unabashedly laughed at me over the phone for my saying that I did not want a cellphone no matter what the rate. I explained that the phone rang constantly when I was at work and I had to deal with it. The phone rang constantly when I was at home, and I had to deal with it. The only relief I got from ringing monstrosities were those brief, precious minutes in the car between place and place. The irony of him being one of those ringing nuisances while trying to sell me a new nuisance to ring seemed lost on him. That's probably why he was a phone salesboy.

Am I alone? Has anyone else out there put down their foot and said, "no, sir, I will not."?

don,t answer it or take it off the hook or turn it off

better still take it back they are dangerous anyway

cause brain tumors

I think that if I ended up with a cellphone, I wouldn't let anyone know that it was a mobile phone. The fact that the home phone is usually considered your night-time contact number gives perfect precedence to treat a cellphone the same way.

Only answer your cellphone when your on your sofa.

i swore i would never get one, but now that i have one it's very convenient. easier to screen calls, no more waiting around for phone calls, if i have car trouble no problem, if i'm in another city no problem... i didn't think i would ever like having a cell phone but it's not all that bad in my experience. would like it if the cost came down a bit though.

I think that if I ended up with a cellphone, I wouldn't let anyone know that it was a mobile phone. The fact that the home phone is usually considered your night-time contact number gives perfect precedence to treat a cellphone the same way.

Only answer your cellphone when your on your sofa.

It won't work that way over here, unfortunately. You can tell just by looking at the number whether it is a cell phone or a land line. :(

I sold them for a year. Don't get locked in to a fucking contract. But they are nice and convenient if you lead a life on the go, and also offer safety. And text messaging kicks ass. But don't get locked in to a contract. (repeatetion for emphasis)

I can ride on a harley and talk at the same time. (not driving, passenger only)

I dont have one either... I used to use one for "business" needless to say the phone is what got me caught and now I dont even talk on my home phone unless its my mom or PoG. I go Hunter Thompson when the phone rings, I dive under something or into the closet to hide.

i have always been happy to not have a cellphone. i like being un-reachable. i thought i would never change my mind.

the mighty whitey died on my way home from starhead's property yesterday. i lucked out, and was close to a "town" with a phone, and a local to point me in a couple directions. after a couple hours of trying to locate a mechanic and/or tow truck, he (whitey) decided he'd had enough of a rest and started up and made it home.

i spent the rest of the drive thinking that maybe a cellphone is a really good idea considering the amount of long distance, backroads, and often night-time driving i do.

i haven't looked into it yet, though, so i don't know what this peace of mind would cost me. i think if i got one i would get rid of my other phone. and i'd be happy to turn it off much of the time.

i wonder why it is that you folks posting here are complaining about it making you available when you don't want to be? why don't you turn it off if you're doing something?