Jambands.ca

Anybody else not own a cellphone?

d_rawk

I've only had a cell phone for many years...got one when I was doing a lot of driving for safety purposes and then just held on to it. I often treat it like a home phone, though--leaving it at home--or I simply turn the ringer off if I don't feel like being bugged. And I never answer calls if I don't recognize the number. :)

I've had a cell since 95 or 96. Not a heavy user, but it is convenient and helpful a lot of the time.

Owning a couple of cars (78 Westy, 87 BMW) over the years has made the cell very valuable when it comes to break downs. Got CAA on speed dial :D

Having kids makes a big difference too. I like to know that when my wife was preggo that I could be reached no matter where I was. Now that they are at daycare/school I like to know that the caregivers can reach me all the time too (not just when I'm at my desk at work).

Good way to save some cash with your cell phone: USE CALL FORWARDING!!!! When you call forward your cell to a land line, any incoming calls cost $0.00. This is how it is with Bell Mobility at least. To forward, do *72# + number to forward to, then SEND. To turn forward off, *720 then SEND

My cell phone is now my MP3 player! It get's used for music wayyyyy more than talkin' :D

Edited by Guest

I have a cell phone somewhere that I never use.I hate them-like many others I hate the radar collar feeling it gives me.If I'm up to mischief I don't want to answer but have to answer because not answering looks more obvious.

I don't like phones either.I find call waiting appalling.Pay attention to the person you are dealing with in the instant,the others can form a line.

i dabbled in the cell phone world a few years ago - i screwed up - and ended up with a humongous bill. after that i thought it best not to have one, except for this:

the mighty whitey died on my way home from starhead's property yesterday.

i used to spend a fair bit of time on the road, often in the middle of nowhere, so i do still have one which i use only on road trips. i wouldn't want to travel without one, especially alone!

I remember hearing once that any cell phone, regardless of whether it's been activiated on a plan, will work for 911 calls. The suggestion was that you could take an old cell phone (from a friend who had upgraded, for example) that wasn't on a plan, leave it (turned off, but charged) in your glove box, and use it for emergency calls on the road. I don't think it'd work for calls to CAA, though.

(The above is what I remember, and may not be true, but sounds logical: if I were in charge of regulating cell phone service, I'd have 911 calls work that way.)

Aloha,

Brad

I find call waiting appalling.Pay attention to the person you are dealing with in the instant,the others can form a line.

ARRGGHH ... call waiting is the thing about phones I hate THE most! Oh wait a second, the other line is going, it may be somebody more important than you.

Stop using call waiting

Stop eating while on the phone

Stop using your cell phone in the bathroom!!!!

Stop talking on your cell if you are driving

I find call waiting appalling.Pay attention to the person you are dealing with in the instant' date='the others can form a line.[/quote']

ARRGGHH ... call waiting is the thing about phones I hate THE most! Oh wait a second, the other line is going, it may be somebody more important than you.

Or an... EMERGENCY!! I love call waiting.

i wonder why it is that you folks posting here are complaining about it making you available when you don't want to be? why don't you turn it off if you're doing something?

I think the problem is that people like your boss expect (and often require) you to be available all of the time - which is why many companies provide free cell phones for their employees. In effect, you are always at work, even when you are not at work. The company expects you to have your phone on at all times... and that sucks.

I've had one passed on to me from CJ, who gets hers (plural, now) through work, and I tend to use it 90% of the time just to talk with her on it, so I can't knock that. I also use it as my watch, as my regular wristwatch's battery died and I'm too lazy to replace it. I've also taken a bunch of pictures on it, but don't have the software to download any of them, so that's more of a process-vs.-product kind of activity.

I do, though, often forget I have it, let the battery die, and then get all worked up about remembering to plug it in.

If I had been given one for work, though, I'd never bring it with me, or drop it down the sewer or something. I'm hard-pressed to answer any phone at the best of times.

I've had one since they came out, back when you had to be a doctor or dealer. I used to think I couldnt live with out one. but latley I hate it. i tried going to a pager, but that was a pain.

my new fone doesn't work at all at my cottage. last weekend at first I was flipping out, but after a day I really liked it. I really want to try and phase mine out.

FUnny this thread came up as I just got one this weekend after fighting the urge for al ong long time. I've had them for short periods in the past but this is the first one I've bought for personal use. What made its usefulness apparent was having car trouble on the 401 and not being sure if I'd be able to get off the highway in time. That, and being in the same city as Katie and doing separate things but not being able to reach each other should something happen.

I'm surprised to see so many people here without cellphones. We got rid of both of ours when we left Ottawa and I can count the number of times I actually needed a cell since then on one hand. However, that handful of instances are enough that I'm considering getting one again.