Jambands.ca

Ever think about your funeral?

mister slippery

I spent today at a funeral for a lovely young woman, who was taken from us last Sunday evening, at 36 years old, from a year-long battle with Brain Cancer. It always brightens my heart at a funeral when there's a good crowd of friends, family and loved ones, to share and remenisce of days gone by.

Wonder who'll turn up at mine? I cant imagine a crowd like Judy got today (prob 250-300 people), but its given me something else to think about in all of this.

sorry if this seems morbid and fatalistic, just something my brain's been playing with.

I always find myself wondering what music is going to get played at mine (I guess that says something about my priorities). Then again, I suppose I shouldn't really have anything to do with it; if anyone came, I'd be grateful, were I to exist on any plane at all.

It's a great question, though. By definition, it is morbid, but as a culture we do an awful lot to sweep it under the carpet.

sorry about your friend, mister s. 36 is so young. i hope you're doing okay.

i have been to alotta funerals and i think it's pretty natural to think about what yours will be like. sometimes i wonder if i'll be young or old, and if there will be good music there. sometimes i want to pick out songs or something funny to happen b/c i don't want it to be too sad... but then i think 'eek!', and that somehow if i start planning my funeral it's going to come sooner. same thing with making a will or an epitaph. irrational but true!

We had a small service (no casket, just a picture), with family (what's left of them) and close friends, then a group lunch, then a party. A party? No, it was a celebration: the golf friends were there, the square dancing friends were there, former co-workers were there, hell, my friends, and their parents, were there...I think we counted about 250 people, all told. My Mom threw in a couple of cases of homemade wine (which vanished pretty much instantly), and we whooped it up. My Mom and a close friend of my Dad's said a few words; I didn't. I should have.

Near the end, one of my all-time best friends took me aside, and said, "I've got a bottle of straight malt in the car..." Next thing you know, he, I, my brother, a couple of our friends, and a few friends of my Dad are standing in the rec room kitchen, toasting my Dad with Glen Ord, drunk from styrofoam coffee cups. It seemed fitting, somehow.

(That was an excerpt from a longer piece I wrote about my Dad.)

Aloha,

Brad

sending my deepest sympathy to you and the family

very sad indead

as for me i do not think about anything about death, its like i am going to live forever can,t think about anything but living now

I had a hard time to make a will thought for sure i was in for the big one

i know i am wrong living like that but i am at peace and to hell with the rest, out of my control anyway

Deepest sympathies Mr. Slippery.

I am going to be in the same boat soon. A friend of mine has bladder cancer which apparently is treatable, but the cancer has moved to his lungs and the doctors have told him that it's terminal, and it's a matter of months now. He may not even make it to his 41st birthday.

Thank you all for kind words, this site and its inhabitants can say some awefully wonderful things.

You're all very kind.

Brad, ive read that piece of yers before, its lovely.

As for me, the only real thing ive thought of, like most of you alluded to already, is the music id want.

no doubt, Joy Division's "Atmosphere" would have to be played. Sorry in advance if anything (god forbid) ever happens to me, cuz its a sad song, and it might bumm you out if you come.

:)

(despite how this may read, im really not suicidal, im just high, and morbidly thoughtful.)

:)

Thanks again, Jambands, much love to you all.