Jambands.ca

bbq veggie idea's?

CatPhish

That was the hardest I have laughed in a while. Pure class Booche.

Use my steak marinade on zuchini, peppers, eggplant, asperagus, artichokes, tomatoes, anything really and grill them up. The marinade brings out some nice flavours in the veggies. You can then make the veggies into an antipasto salad by adding some feta or goat cheese, some smoked meat (salmon, proscuitto, parma ham) and some nice fresh herb bread from that little bakery in Byward Market ;) Or just set it up as a platter and it becomes an interactive family dinner.

Ratatouille

Any fresh vegatables you have or want to add, sliced and washed. Mix in a bowl with 3-4 TBSP of EVOO, Salt and Pepper, juice of half a lemon, 2-3 sprigs of chopped fresh tarragon, 1 clove of garlic smashed, 1/2 teaspoon of Chili Flakes and one tomatoe finely diced. Bake in the oven until the veggies turn soft or turn one burner on in the BBQ and bake/smoke on the side that has no flame.

Corn on the cob. Butter, salt, pepper then wrap in tinfoil and bbq.

I think there's also a trick where you leave it in the husk, dunk/soak it in water for a while, and just put it on the grill (without foil; it cooks in the husk).

Aloha,

Brad

Here's one I was surprised about: carrots.

Use smaller/skinnier ones, olive oil, salt, etc...

If you like carrots done that way, Hux, try parsnips. Either get thin ones, or quarter the thick ones lengthwise, and roast them as if they were carrots.

Aloha,

Brad

Long purple japanese eggplants, pricked a few times and grilled on low to medium heat for a long time until they're mushy. Peel back the skins and scoop them out, or halve them lengthwise and top with whatever you want. I usually ado about 6 at a time, scoop out all the mush and mix raw minced garlic, cilantro and chiles to make a spicy dip that's great with toasted pita.

Grilled eggplant left in its skin is one of my favorites.

here's something magical: green onions on the bbq.

seriously, they change character completely, become so sweet. Just the usual olive oil, s+p and slap 'em on the bbq, not for too long.

We're a big fan too of the peanut satay sauce you can get almost anywhere. Use that as a marinade for skewers of red onion, peppers, eggplant, zucchini.... whatever. Keep basting them (we use tofu for this as well) and this will make you cream your pants.

Long purple japanese eggplants, pricked a few times and grilled on low to medium heat for a long time until they're mushy. Peel back the skins and scoop them out, or halve them lengthwise and top with whatever you want. I usually ado about 6 at a time, scoop out all the mush and mix raw minced garlic, cilantro and chiles to make a spicy dip that's great with toasted pita.

Grilled eggplant left in its skin is one of my favorites.

That is almost Baba Ganouj, add some cumin, paprika, toasted crushed fennel seeds, olive oil, a diced onion and blend.

here's something magical: green onions on the bbq.

seriously, they change character completely, become so sweet. Just the usual olive oil, s+p and slap 'em on the bbq, not for too long.

We're a big fan too of the peanut satay sauce you can get almost anywhere. Use that as a marinade for skewers of red onion, peppers, eggplant, zucchini.... whatever. Keep basting them (we use tofu for this as well) and this will make you cream your pants.

too late

If you have a one of those acessories for your Que that holds veggies, you can do green beans. I like to shock them in boiling water and then toss them with sesame oil and sesame seeds and toss them in the bbq rack.

Even better, get chinese long beans and shock those but leave them at their full length. it would almost look like you were grilling dreadlocks:

bxp28537.jpg