Major's Hill night-time schedule:

* Moran (Que.) — Urban folk

* Taima (Que.) — Atmospheric folk, ambient rock

* Don Ross (Que.) and Brooke Miller (P.E.I) — Folk, world

* Magneto (Que.) — Roots, folk, ambient rock

* Harry Manx (B.C.) and Kevin Breit (Ont.) — Blues with South Asian influences

* D.Rangers (Man.) — Bluegrass with punk influences

* The Sadies (Ont.) — Alternative country

Feist is on Parliament Hill in the evening with a bajillion others.

Schedules here

By looking at that schedule it seems most of the above mentioned acts will be on between 10am and 6pm.

Daytime Shows at Major's Hill Park

A Tapestry of Canadian Folkways!

Ottawa Citizen Main Stage

10 am to 6 pm

Discover our Canadian ­folkways through celebratory music, song and dance.

* Taoist Tai Chi (Ont.)

* Kwe Kwe Ataro — Wendake (Que.)

* Red Maple Song Circle — Taima (Que.), Jay Knutson (B.C.), Derek Miller (Ont.), Justin Lacroix (Man., with host Don Ross (Que.)

* White Pine Song Circle — Dallas and Travis Good, of The Sadies (Ont.), Brooke Miller (P.E.I.), Harry Manx (B.C.), Robert Wilson (Y.T.), with host Don Ross (Que.)

In collaboration with Indian and Northern Affairs Canada and the Cultural Capitals of Canadaprogram, Department of Canadian Heritage.

Major's Hill Park

dinghy, scroll down

the evening schedule is right below the daytime schedule

Evening Show at Major's Hill Park

Blended Roots Music

6 pm to 10 pm

Moran, Harry Manx and Kevin Breit, Magneto, Don Ross and Brooke Miller, Taima, D.Rangers, The Sadies

Enjoy blended roots music — 100% Canadian!

* Moran (Que.) — Urban folk

* Taima (Que.) — Atmospheric folk, ambient rock

* Don Ross (Que.) and Brooke Miller (P.E.I) — Folk, world

* Magneto (Que.) — Roots, folk, ambient rock

* Harry Manx (B.C.) and Kevin Breit (Ont.) — Blues with South Asian influences

* D.Rangers (Man.) — Bluegrass with punk influences

* The Sadies (Ont.) — Alternative country

• 1 month later...

Songwriter thing in the afternoon was a bit boring, we left after one complete round. Don Ross, while an amazing guitar player, was horrible I thought. Singing these 'la de da dee da' scat type things, playing what felt like a 10 minute song with everyone else on stage just checking their watches. Brooke Miller kinda sucked. Dallas and Travis were good, and actually invited others to play on their song (gasp! collaboration!), Harry Manx was very good, and the last guy sucked.

In the evening the D.Rangers were awesome, they are sweet players - bluegrass from Manitoba. Fiddle, homemade bass contraption from a large water cooler thingy, banjo, mandolin and guitar. I really like them. Then the Sadies played a super tight set of about 40 minutes, so about 39 songs, hehe. They played lots of their originals, and the covers they've made their own (Loved On Look, Leave Me Alone, Tell Her Lies and Feed Her Candy, Uncle Larry's Breakdown, etc...)

I took some sweet pics of the Sadies that I'll try to post tonight if I have time before Van the Man

AD

I loved the Harry Manx/Kevin Breit set and so did the crowd. It's the first set that got people up dancing. Their set was way too short for my liking, but I am very biased. ;)

I enjoyed Brooke Miller so much that we actually got one of her CDs which is on it's third rotation in our house. It's very good. Don Ross (who I think is her husband if I interpret the liner notes correctly) plays on every song.

I had a nice afternoon in the park. We left just before 9:00 since that's when the bridge shut down and we wanted to be on our side of the river for the fireworks with our dog.

Thanks for the reviews. Never heard of Brooke Miller but I'll now keep an eye/ear out. AD, what'd you think of the Manx/Breit collaboration? *JUST* very good? ;) I must say, Harry Manx is definitely in my top 3 favourite musicians. Are The Sadies doing any new material these days? Who sat in with them for the afternoon set? I look forward to the next time I see them. I saw D.Rangers once, at Hillside immediately after BSS at an adjacent stage, and became an instant fan.

i didn't see Breit / Manx, I just saw Manx in the afternoon (afternoon was a songwriter's circle (ross, miller, dallas, travis, manx, some other dude), evening were regular shows). I'm sure if I saw Breit / Manx my jaw would've been scraping the ground, but unfortunately my friends are slow to leave places and we missed it. Sadies have a couple new tunes, I think they played one new one in the evening. They're playing a lot of older stuff too, but their gigs these days are kinda same old same old (which is fine with me, I've probably seen them at least 20 - 25 times now and i'm still not bored with it)

D.Rangers were awesome, it was my second time seeing them that I know of and they were waaay better than the first time, where I became an instant fan. I missed them at hillside in 2005, but I heard from friends that it was great.

not in the one song we saw him play.

if anyone knows what song Dallas and Travis played in the songwriters circle, let me know. It was an easy 3-chord kinda thing, but was a cover I haven't heard them play before.

Sadies song was a traditional song about fishing, with lyrics about Stephen Harper added?.

Also IMHO there is no way on earth Brooke Miller is married to Don Ross. She was about 20 years, and many other things his junior. Just an opinion though, the guitar does seem to attract nice looking ladies.