Jambands.ca

710 Ashbury on Google Street View

Kanada Kev

710 is about the 4th house from the corner...the google program shows it if you search for 722...it's the house with the three people talking in the driveway and the black suv in front...

http://maps.google.com/maps?tab=il&hl=en&q=722+Ashbury+St.%2C+San+Francisco%2C+CA

Try zooming in and you can even read the license plate of the car that is parked in the garage!

The house looks like this:

232332289_5eaa54fd5a.jpg

The last time friends of mine dropped by, there was a Rasta living there. He knew little to nothing about the history of the place, apart from the fact that he seemed to be pleasantly rewarded whenever people came to his door and asked if they could take a tour and he would agree. He made it his policy to agree.

Wow! I can't believe the google street view feature... it's almost kinda freaky that you can do that... wonder how long til that's rolled out across N.A.

I checked out the house in the fall... some pics:

f_haight2m_5600567.jpg

f_haightm_802888d.jpg

We didn't go in but it was cool to meet people who were walking down the street looking for it too (quite easy to spot those folks) ;)

f_dead710barom_444d43f.jpg

this technology has existed for years, (a9 from amazon was up and running using this from 2005-2006, and microsoft has a similar product, along with many smaller companies, including something I worked on in 2002) but good on google for releasing it on their established and embedded platform. it's not without its problems though - there are numerous technical challenges and issues with this, but no doubt google knows this and is working on it.

so far it's available for Silicon Valley, Las Vegas, Miami, Denver and New York.

check here and other pseudo-GIS blogs for more info.

last I looked into it was about a year ago and it was pretty much shape based, you could roll down a street and see the building and houses in siloutte (more similar to Google Map)... this is pretty cool...

great job driving round the states filming the lay of the land AD... when it gets to capturing the rough end of town nothing like being able to say "Yeah, did a fair bit of road graphing over in Afghanistan a while back." :)

i like how its the only one on the block with a locked gate on the stairs. poor whoever tries to live there in peace without touristy hippies blazing on your stoop.

just take the money you make selling weed, CDs and local art to touristy hippies during the day and buy another house to relax in

I'd go the Kramer route and offer full history and tours (and weed, CDs and local art... hell, even the extra organic food sitting in the fridge)

be the perfect excuse to finally get myself a 'Captain Trips' hat ;)

CaptainTrips.jpg

(note the house in the background... and the "paisley" shirt)

Edited by Guest

last I looked into it was about a year ago and it was pretty much shape based, you could roll down a street and see the building and houses in siloutte (more similar to Google Map)... this is pretty cool...

are you talking about Google Earth now? There are so many great products now between Google and Microsoft that it's easy to get confused. Google Maps just released "2.5D" building silhouettes a couple months ago, and have had sugar cube 3D buildings in Google Earth for a while. Now more and more cities are getting textured photo-realistic buildings with more and more people using SketchUp and other 3D modeling packages.

great job driving round the states filming the lay of the land AD... when it gets to capturing the rough end of town nothing like being able to say "Yeah, did a fair bit of road graphing over in Afghanistan a while back." :)

hehe I've never captured imagery in the States, just laser stuff. And it seems like the 'Stan was a lifetime ago. But thank you sir. :)

are you talking about Google Earth now?

yeah, a year is a long time in my world... thought it was Street View but guess it could've been G. Earth (grabbed that soon as it came out)... haven't been browsing the tech geek sites much lately but was quite a bit then and think I found a link originally discussing street view on waxy.org or kottke.org

"Pffft Harlem... lemme tell ya a little story bout Kabul."

• 3 months later...

yeah, it captured me twice on september 9 in ottawa. the first time i was surprised (corner of waverley and metcalfe, ottawa), but the second time I think i flexed (corner of waverley and o'connor).

been checking once in a while to see if the data has been added, but i'm guessing it will be months before it's live.