Jambands.ca

Eyes on Darfur

Dr_Evil_Mouse

they've got to do a better job with the symbology - there's no way to turn off the red dots showing destroyed structures, and the dots cover the entire structure, so who can really say what happened? and it's flash-based, you can't pan or zoom, can't pick coordinates etc etc. i dunno. it's a start, but the Google Earth platform is built for this kind of thing, and while the imagery might not be as current, at least it's 'better' on the whole.

taken from a blog (wow, i agree with absolutely everything he says)

In practice, this means that a Flash application (why-oh-why break the browser's back button and lock the satellite imagery into a proprietary format?) makes satellite imagery available to visitors that is just weeks or months old, and often also photos from before attacks.

Every initiative on Darfur is a worthy initiative. I would love, however, for this weeks-old data from Darfur to be made available in an open, georeferenced formats, in time series and on a much wider scale, so that GIS volunteers really can monitor villages for change. I'd gladly "adopt" one of the 1,600 villages and monitor it, given the data. I also think Flash is not the best visualization tool for geospatial data — there is not the natural flexibility with layers and such that lets this content be truly compelling and immersive:

drfurvillages.jpg

The dots show destroyed structures, but cover those said structures, and you can't take them off. So I hope this new data also makes it into Google Earth.

Here's a better representation in a much better platform, but not so much back-story or meta-data.

Click here for a page that links to a Google Earth KMZ file.