Jambands.ca

Roger Waters in Ottawa tonight or last night or something

Booche

***MAJOR SPOILERS IF YOU ARE PLANNING TO GO SEE ROGER WATERS**

2002455564759481684_rs.jpg

Rather than make this a review, I would like to offer up my most sincere and humble apologies to Willy, Ollie et al for riding your asses because of the lip-synching that goes on. His voice must be stacked during some of the parts (Have A Cigar quickly comes to mind) but let the record show that he does harmonize with these sounds. We certainly weren’t in a position to see what was going on but we were in some of the best seats in the house as far as I am concerned.

Being 2 rows back on the second level and dead center presented us with one of the best aural experiences these ears have EVER heard in a live setting. This is easily in my top 5 sounding shows. At no point was it apparent tickets would fall into my lap because I was never interested to see a concert that, seemingly felt, was inherently flawed. More wrong should I never be again. This couldnt be re-produced in my living room, as I so blindly suggested. Luckily a friend had an extra in a setting that seemed conducive to showing me why folks on this board were so gung-ho about Roger Waters in concert.

Upon taking our seats, giggles flew around at the setup. Speakers hanging above the center of the crowd were in all directions. The cable lines alone produced unwavering laughter. The stage appeared to host a gigantic bottle of scotch, a half-full glass, an FM radio and a plane, which may or may not take off at some point during the night. Little did our sober minds know this was not the real stage but rather a gigantic screen that hosted said images. A moment of realization came once the nonset music shut down and the concert was about to start. The house lights turned down and songs were coming from direct center and loud.

I remember hearing My Funny Valentine, an Elvis song and a couple of others. We only heard bits of each song because a gigantic hand came in to turn the dials. That’s when we realized “This is a fucking BIG screen!†Any football coach should have witnessed this from our vantage point. Their philosophy on play calling would immediately be changed forever. Finally the intro notes to the real show came in and we were off in some quasi-defined surround sound that only grabbed your imagination the louder it got. By the time they finished Dark Side Of The Moon, we believed that second set lasted only 15-20 minutes. This was one of those concerts that tricks you into thinking you are high.

I am a convert to the live Roger Waters experience and I would love to see another show with those mentioned above. Call me if you ever need a fool. Hell, let’s go right now. Thank ya’ll for selling it so very well. It was an expensive ticket but easily well worth the price. Heck, I made money! By the end of the first song we were in the flesh for doubling-down and that score would have been two-fold.

Really glad to hear that you enjoyed the show Booche!

Last year Water's was one of my ultimate highlights, and you're bang on about the sound. For the show that I attended I was three-quarters of the way back on the floor, centre. I've never experienced sound hitting me that hard before. I truly was blown away. I remember that the comments regarding his lip-singing didn't being to circulate until after I had seen the show last year, and I remember being surprised by them, as I had had no indication of that being the case during the live show. I remember thinking at the time that even if that had been the case, the experience had still been ultimately entertaining! No regrets.

Your post has dug up my memories and perceptions of last year's show, and I will say that you are making me regret the fact that I passed on tickets this time round. (Only because the show is a week before our wedding, and the mula is a little sparse).... Maybe I should have bit the bullet anyhow.

Booche,

Glad you had a good time. Like you, I had a few reservations before dropping the bucks on the ticket for a show last year. It was worth every damn penny!!! What a show, eh?

This visuals and sound are absolutely stunning. He's coming through Toronto and Darien Lake. I hope I can get to one of them again.

Andre, you magnificent bastard! Last night I was thinking how much you would have loved the show and now I find out you were there! Awesome.

Holy fack -- that concert exceeded my expectations a hundred fold!! Sheep was off the frigging hook. And I agree that DSOTM just flew by.

Great crowd too, people around me standing for almost the whole show really impressed me.

n607020972_195491_9136.jpg

More photos here

Lifted this setlist from a review of a concert in Virginia last Sept. The setlist is the same as last night's.

Set One

In the Flesh

Mother

Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts 1-3)

Have a Cigar

Wish You Were Here

Southampton Dock

The Fletcher Memorial Home

Perfect Sense, Parts 1 and 2

Leaving Beirut

Sheep

Set Two (The Dark Side of the Moon)

Speak to Me

Breathe

On the Run

Time

The Great Gig in the Sky

Money

Us and Them

Any Colour You Like

Brain Damage

Eclipse

Encore

The Happiest Days of Our Lives

Another Brick in the Wall, Part II

Vera

Bring the Boys Back Home

Comfortably Numb

As for Leaving Beirut, about the only thing I liked was the storyboard presentation but that song blew chunks. The anti-war message was forced down our throats too much and was a slap in the face to the audiences intelligence. Something a bit less contrived would have serviced much better.

2000111919109002741_rs.jpg

2000147360992788170_rs.jpg

2000194444649510841_rs.jpg

2000175203850209876_rs.jpg

As for Leaving Beirut, about the only thing I liked was the storyboard presentation but that song blew chunks. The anti-war message was forced down our throats too much and was a slap in the face to the audiences intelligence. Something a bit less contrived would have serviced much better.

Totally agree. It was cheesy as hell but he managed to make it fun.

The other song I didn't know... Perfect Sense... wow, the ending to that was incredible. This huge crescendo just came from out of nowhere. Very impressed.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it André. Personally I thought the whole show was great except for the DSOTM portion. I've just heard that material too much for it to be overly enjoyable when presented note-for-note like that. Albeit the sound system was an absolute pleasure to listen to.

i didn't see the show, but i pray that i never get to a point in life where i don't enjoy listening to Dark Side of the Moon. maybe i haven't listened to it as much as some of yall, but i can't see myself tiring of it. maybe live, note for note would be a bit weird though.

I was really torn about going to this. I knew the show would be brilliant, but the price was so steep, that after much heart-felt consideration I opted not to pay the big bucks and skip the show.

Then at 5:30 show night JoJo called with two free tickets in the lower hundreds stage right, courtesy of his friend Evil. We were close enough to feel the heat from the fire explosions but far enough to have a wicked view.

The sound was near perfect, without being unduly loud. The show was fanfuckingtastic. Worth every penny.

Edited by Guest