Jambands.ca

NHL Off-season 2007

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller
He scored 50 points in 58 games for Ted Nolan last year. If motivated he can contribute.

Guy Carbonneau ain't no Ted Nolan.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Mike Cammalleri didn't make out quite as well as he hoped with arbitration did he?

Apparently he was asking for $6M per season and the Kings were offering him $2.6M.

The arbitrator definitely saw things the Kings way giving Cammalleri $3.1M and $3.6M for 2008-2009...

Hockey Night's producer's ready for risky business

Aug 10, 2007 04:30 AM

Chris Zelkovich

The new boss of Canada's most popular sports show was making the kind of claims one comes to expect from Hockey Night in Canada offices.

Sherali Najak, who was bumped up from senior producer to executive producer, was talking about how he plans to take things slowly, avoid jarring changes and keep the CBC's biggest cash cow on its usual conservative track.

"Hockey Night in Canada has not become popular over 52 years by drastically changing things," the Mohawk College product said yesterday after being named the replacement for Joel Darling, now the network's director of production. "My mission statement is to be true to the game, to be true to the viewer and to be responsible and efficient in how we manage the show."

With all respect to Najak, who has a stellar reputation in the TV world, I'm not buying it. Some fairly dramatic changes have already been made, more will come and they will happen faster than ever.

One reason is that they're needed. The show may be No.1, but it's been showing its age in recent years.

The game is the thing, but the show needs to surprise viewers from time to time with something more than Don Cherry's jackets.

Another reason is that Najak, the world's only Ugandan-born hockey producer, has a reputation for thinking outside the box. He pushed for Cassie Campbell to get a tryout as an analyst and is known for not being afraid to gamble.

"I'm not scared to take a chance," he said. "I think you have to fall a little bit to know what works and what doesn't."

Darling was fairly conservative in his approach and so was his boss, Nancy Lee. Najak's boss, Scott Moore, is also known as a guy who has never feared taking chances.

The changes have already begun. With Najak moving up, his senior producer role has been filled by Doug Walton, who was hired away from TSN.

Craig Simpson, whom Moore hired for Sportsnet when it launched nine years ago, has left his assistant coach's job in Edmonton and will replace Greg Millen as Jim Hughson's partner. When Bob Cole hangs up the mike, they'll likely be the lead pair.

"Craig's a terrific analyst," Moore said yesterday. "He will be the best in the business soon."

Analyst Harry Neale's workload will be reduced this season, so Millen will take some of that. There are also changes planned for the pre-game show and the uneven Satellite Hotstove.

"We need to be a little bit more aggressive and we need to be constantly improving," Moore said. Najak wants the latter particularly to have more of an edge, with strong debates.

"I remember when it started and it was about breaking rumours and trades, but the times have changed since 1995," he said. "You can get that stuff every second now."

Stay tuned for more.

Guest Low Roller

I'd like there to be a little less generic interviews with the players ("We played good", "we pushed hard", "gut check time", etc...)

I just tend to completely ignore the intermission nowadays (whenever I get a chance to watch a game).

They've got to loose "Satellite Hotstove", which I've always maintained as being slightly less exciting than watching the New Jersey Devils play.

I find it so funny that that one guy always has his head tilted slightly to the left. Reminds me of Horatio from CSI. Actually, it drives me rather insane. They need to get rid of him.

This coming from the guy wearing leather Italian shoes and no socks!

But in all honesty, the Hotstove was the only feature I paid attention to as well. Sometimes it came off dry but when word was getting out on the street it was a good time, plus I always dug on hearing John Davidson speak. I miss him.

Edited by Guest
w

Satellite Hotstove is my favourite TV segment of the week. No joke. It's the only segment of HNIC that I turn the sound on for. It doesn't get better than Eric Duhatschek as far as real scoops go.

What he said.

I have a bit of a man-crush on Eric Duhatschek. He's a god among men.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Low Roller

Jan Bulis is the latest player to sign a contract in the Russian league.

There is definitely a trend of 3rd-4th line players signing for better money in Russia and playing on top lines. No wonder that the RSL didn't want to sign the transfer agreement.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Good and bad day for the London Knights yesterday. The good is that Pat Kane, Sam Gagner, and Steve Mason all stuck with their respective clubs and all have entry level contracts. The bad news is that the Knights have already lost 3 games and they were counting on at least 2 of the 3 guys to come back and help win us the Mem Cup.