Jambands.ca

What is comfort food?

AdamH

M.O.B.E's sacrilicious slant of the hot dog got me thinking...I very much find a decent hot dog comforting. I don't like whole wheat buns, I like the ValPak buns. I also like the cheapest and seemingly shittiest inds because they taste better than an organic something or other hot dog.

What is your comfort food? And secondly what do you find comforting that others find disgusting?

You thought that was slant. see my latest post...

Comfort food for me is anything I have spent some time cooking. I find cooking comforting and eating is the deep meditation part after you get comfortable. There is nothing like spending a whole day reducing a home made stock for a nice sauce or perfectly marinading a nice cut of meat and then spending your afternoon tending to it on a charcoal bbq. Sometimes when I done I dont even want to sit down to eat because the cooking process gets me off. Ms Huxtable knows what Im talkin about....

Oh yeah, I hear ya M.O.B.E.

The one thing I crave, love and find comforting that takes no work on my part though is a good french loaf with oil and balsamic. I am embarassed to say I have eaten entire loaves (shut up Davey Boy) all by myself and could likely eat two. It's my vice.

M.O.B.E. that is a different feeling to me. That is a more of an appreciative feeling that I get from effort, and building something through past experience to create something new. It's a good pleasure.

but COMFORT food evokes memories from childhood. Smores, kraft dinner, cheap hotdogs, tuna casserole, vachon flakies, and the list can go on and on.

These would be things that you grew up with and they bring back a sensation of innocence and not a care in the world. That's the calming effect of 'comfort food'.

For me, it's stuff that I either ate at lunchtime as a kid (alphagetti, beefaroni, fried bologna on soft white bread) or snacks from camping when I was a kid (SMORES! Hostess Ketchup potato chips!)

Go into a toys r us and find the playdoh aisle. You'll have an auditory triggered memory of being a kid. That is, if you played with that shit when you were little.

Nostalgia is POWERFUL!

mine include:

-pancakes with syrup on saturday/sunday morning is comfort for me (with bacon helps of course)

-my mom's spaghetti sauce...i like to eat a bowl of it with no spaghetti

-and her apple pie, the next day

-ice cream

-grilled cheese with tomato soup

-english tea with milk

-my grandma's veggie soup

What is your comfort food?

Probably the shepherd's pie my Mom makes. The various forms of roast beast she makes are also high up on the list.

And secondly what do you find comforting that others find disgusting?

I've been doing a tuna/pasta/vegetable thing these days that I'm liking, but which others might hate.

Aloha,

Brad

My mom used to make me grilled cheese at lunch every day (I would walk home to have lunch and watch The Flintstones). She'd use sharp cheddar under the broiler, open faced and crack some pepper on it. That always brings me back.

For me, comfort food is a shitty hot dog on a white bun or just a simple, small cheeseburger.

my mother's spaghetti sauce is very comforting too! I'm trying to hijack the recipe, but she always says, "I don't know what I put in it".

Speaking of sheppard's pie, her's falls in that same comfort food category as well. I haven't had that in YEARS!