Jambands.ca

Is this a good deal for a laptop?

DevO

This guy is selling his used Dell Latitude D800 for the Korean equivalent of about $920 Canadian. Its pretty loaded with memory and ram and gigs and whatnot (?). What do you think? Here's what he's got:

Hi All,

I have a very reliabe latop for sale. I am getting a new one on the house from my company thats why I am selling.

The specs:

D800

15.4 wide screen

2GB DDR RAM

Nvidia FX5200 VGA card

Centrino 1.8Ghz CPU

100GB 7200RPM HD (Brand new, bought a week ago)

DVD+-RW writer

B/G Wireless

GB LAN

Original carry case never used really

Software: (All original and legit and will come with original CD's)

Windows XP Pro

Office 2003 Pro

V3Pro 2007

There's been some debate going on in the poster's original thread which provides some more food for thought too, if you've got the time!

Is this deal any good?

100GB hard drive is pretty much the low end on capacity these days. Most systems that sell for that price come with around 250GB. Not sure about the memory off the top of my head.

Like I said, look at the Dell site or even Future Shop or Best Buy just to see what the standard specs are for a computer in that price range. You'd be surprised how cheap everything is now.

100GB hard drive is pretty much the low end on capacity these days. Most systems that sell for that price come with around 250GB.

Not for laptops though... and 2g ram is a big deal.

I just spec'd a latitude D820 with similar specs (but core duo instead of centrino) and it came out at $2300. I'd say this guy is asking a reasonable price.

Yes, I wouldn't get less than 100-120. But as far as I know, 250 is not even available in laptop form factor... I have seen I think up to 200, of course I can barely keep up so I'm probably wrong. If you spec a dell form their site, anything over 80 is considered an upgrade... so 100 is nothing to scoff at. And the 2gb ram upgrade (above 1gb) is $180 alone...

Anyway, it would be good if you can see it and use it before buying it. Is this a through-the-mail deal though?

No its a guy here in Korea who is getting rid of his.. So I should be able to check it out beforehand. I think its a pretty reasonable price the more I look in to it. Hmmm.

I bought a new Dell laptop about a year and a half ago and it was only a 40 gig HD. (that computer was lost. :( )

I have a dell laptop, and it sucks ass. If you ever need to reinstall the drivers it takes a ridiculous amount of time and effort searching the dell website. For the price that you're paying, I would just get someone to build you a cpu with the same specs for half the price. Find a shop in your location and ask them how much it would be to 'make' a cpu for yourself, you'll be very surprised at how inexpensive it is.