Jambands.ca

A few early impressions of Icky Thump

Jaimoe

The new White Stripes album is fantastic. It's a return of harder-edged rock, but has a few musical suprises thrown in, like a nice acoustic Irish ditty and a great jump blues tune. All the Zeppelin buzz is true in the best possible way. I'm going to review Icky later this week, but if I had to rank it (and I like all their wonderfully different albums very much), I'd put it somewhere between their second effort De Stijl and album #4, Elephant, which is good news to fans and the curious.

did she learn to drum yet?

As tired as I am with people attacking Meg's lack of skill behind the kit, I'd say that she's really improved. Of course the band dynmaic ain't about her drumming, it's about how she inspires Jack to write and/or take the lead. Terry Bozzio would not be a good substitution for Meg. Anyway, Meg's more of a blues drummer and off the top of anyone's head, name me 5 blues drummers - and I mean real blues drummers, not rock-blues hybrids like John Bonham or Jim McCarty. What? You can't? Point made.

have you heard the song "level" by whatever that other band jack white is in? It's so good. That's how good the white stripes could sound if they got a real drummer and added bass. har.

why would jack want two bands that sound the same?

I love "Level" by The Raconteurs, but that's a different band with a different dynamic: Who-inspired bass and drum combo from The Greenhornes with two leaders on guitar and vocals. The Raconteurs are rock and roll. The Stripes are not like them at all and I'm glad about that.

Anyway, Meg's more of a blues drummer and off the top of anyone's head, name me 5 blues drummers - and I mean real blues drummers, not rock-blues hybrids like John Bonham or Jim McCarty. What? You can't? Point made.

Heres five...

Ray 'killer' Allison

Francis Clay

Herbie Lovelle

Gaylord Birch

Jimi Bott

As for the album, well much like their others, it really does nothing for me.

I don't want them to be the same band. But maybe he had to start up that other one because he wanted to be in a GOOD band. I'm just sayin...

As far as blues drummers go, why are blues rock drummers not allowed in the club? And really, all drummers are blues drummers. What meg white does is not terribly special.

did she learn to drum yet?

As tired as I am with people attacking Meg's lack of skill behind the kit' date=' I'd say that she's really improved. Of course the band dynmaic ain't about her drumming, it's about how she inspires Jack to write and/or take the lead. Terry Bozzio would not be a good substitution for Meg. Anyway, Meg's more of a blues drummer and off the top of anyone's head, name me 5 blues drummers - and I mean real blues drummers, not rock-blues hybrids like John Bonham or Jim McCarty. What? You can't? Point made.

[/quote']

ok, all I could think of was Bernard Purdy but I really wouldn't call him a "blues" drummer.

Anyway, so I can't name 5 blues drummers but really what exactly does that have to do with Peg being the worst drummer to play in one of the biggest bands in the world right now? I like Jack White and have a lot of respect. But Peg is an insult to anyone who ever picked up the sticks and how she managed to get the job is laughable. Yes yes, very garagey. And it's a lot better than a lot of the shit on the radio. But I think that the music suffers even if the point is simplicity.

I drummers go, why are blues rock drummers not allowed in the club? And really, all drummers are blues drummers. What meg white does is not terribly special.

My point being that she is a blues drummer and not a rock drummer. She is special because she inspires Jack to write songs. Meg is a bass drummer, and that she does well.

And I knew you'd know blues drummers Alabama Man, but 99% of the music world does not, including me (off the top of my head).

And I knew you'd know blues drummers Alabama Man, but 99% of the music world does not, including me (off the top of my head).

Well, I can't say I agree with 99% of the music world not knowing at least five blues drummers and me being the 1%. So, I'll take that comment as sarcasm.

Anyone familiar with artists like Muddy Waters, Otis Spann, Lightnin' Hopkins, Buddy Guy, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Jimmy Rogers, B.B King, John Lee Hooker, The Pointer Sisters or even Santana would have heard of those drummers at some point.

Anyway, thats not the topic of conversation here, so I'll leave it alone.

The White Stripes are the White Stripes. Like it or not. Their sound is what makes them different. Technical ability isnt always as important as how the music sounds.
...and feels. Meg and Jacks interaction is very interesting and exciting. It's almost dirty to watch. They have a sexual energy between them that gets released through their music in much the same way Zeppelin did. No, Meg is no Bonham (who could be?) but their's a knowledge between Jack and Meg that is exactally the same as Zep's was.

Check out the video from Bouche's Bluesfest video preview to see what I mean. http://jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/240753/

Anyway, Icky Thump is a brilliant way to start a Saturday morning off.

comparing Meg white to any member of zepplin has got to be the most retarded thing I've ever read.

But there is definately something to all that rampant sexual tension and energy between members of led zepplin. wow.

Making BIG comments can inspire converstaion. Zeppelin is easy because they can be brought into any conversation about Rock and Roll. Beside, Zeppelin often comes up when talking about the White Stripes.