Jambands.ca

A few early impressions of Icky Thump

Jaimoe

btw, I specifically did not compare Meg to Bonham. Agreed, that would be retarded.

No, Meg is no Bonham (who could be?)

I'm comparing The White Stripes to Led Zeppelin

Edited by Guest
Probably because I'm listening to Physical Graffiti right now

Well I finally got a chance to check this album out. I've spent most of my day by the pool and gave the disc 2 or 3 listens. I think it is quite good. I do admit it seems like 7% more polished than their other records but thats not a bad thing. Cant wait to hear some these of tunes on the 5th!!

Edited by Guest

I have to say, I've never been a huge fan (never had any issues with the band either) but I just watched a DVD from 2007-06-13 BBC Maida Vale Studios and it was pretty good.

They played two songs from the new album, but it was only a half hour set. My friend Geordie (whose a big fan) is also hoping for a lot of new songs in Toronto.

Meg and Jacks interaction is very interesting and exciting. It's almost dirty to watch. They have a sexual energy between them that gets released through their music in much the same way Zeppelin did.

i thought they were brother and sister. i take it i'm wrong...?

Meg and Jacks interaction is very interesting and exciting. It's almost dirty to watch. They have a sexual energy between them that gets released through their music in much the same way Zeppelin did.

That is their stage persona, the refer to themselves as brother and sister. Actually they are ex-husband and wife (Jack has since remarried).

That is their stage persona' date=' the refer to themselves as brother and sister. Actually they are ex-husband and wife (Jack has since remarried).

[/quote']

Must be a weird situation.

"Okay honey I'm off on tour for the next 8 months travelling the world with my ex-wife. Take care!"

hehe

I see The White Stripes as an art project first and a prototypical rock band second. Everything about them, their presentation, their albums, their indulgences (like playing Iqaluit tonight!), the ambiguity in their relationship to each other, just kind of set them apart from, say, Wilco. And believe me, I LOVE Wilco!

But it's not like they would be *better* if they had a better drummer. They would be less cool if they didn't have the theatricality to pull of what is - in the end - an art-rock show at least as much as a blues revue.

And if all you take from it is an appreciation for the now traditional down-and-dirty Southern blues ooze that is their musical aim, than that's just fine too.

I agree with you to some extent MarcO. The Stripes De Stijl art image is integral to their popularity and it also adds certain oomph to their brand of blues/roots/garage rock. They also have video staying power in a music world obsessed with only young artists and youthful music genres like rap and dance. The fact that Jack and Meg don't create music that is 'young' is a testament to their style… and that Jack’s one hell of a songwriter.

Their ever evoving art image is also creates a freshness to their their status and

I see The White Stripes as an art project first and a prototypical rock band second. Everything about them, their presentation, their albums, their indulgences (like playing Iqaluit tonight!), the ambiguity in their relationship to each other, just kind of set them apart from, say, Wilco. And believe me, I LOVE Wilco!

Well put. I didn't really "get" the White Stripes at first. Mind you, I didn't really give them much time. Then, I saw them interviewed on Charlie Rose and was extremely impressed with Jack and what he had to say and his vision. Like you said, from everything including why he wanted Meg as the drummer, musical stylings, image, choice of colours, etc. etc. I think that we'll be seeing many incarnations of Jack White over the years (along the lines of David Bowie).

I find that a little surprising Hamilton. I find this album pretty accessible. I found I had to work at Get Behind Me Satan, except for Instinct Blues, Red Rain, Ugly As I Seem and the terrific bluegrass tune Little Ghost. I still hate Blue Orchid.

That's funny - I loved that album right from the get-go. I dunno - maybe I just wasn't in the right mood during the first couple of listens to the new disc. I certainly don't dislike it, I just wasn't bowled over in the way that I expected to be.

I think I'll be throwing it on again when I get home tonight... all this talk is inspiring me.