Jambands.ca

Motts Clamato Question

Ms.Huxtable

Anyone who knows me, knows that I have at least a ceasar a day. I love them, and have for 10+ years. I have only ever bought Motts Clamato, not any other brand of tomato/clam juice.

So why oh why have the last three or four bottles had a slight cow manure after taste? The first bottle I thought was just bad. Not a bad track record, 1 out of 1000 bottles tastes like crap, but the next few have had the same after taste. WTF???

Has anyone else noticed this? Have they changed their recipe? Do people's taste buds change from loving something to hating something, just like that?

HELP!!!!!

I think it's high time you start drinking bloody marys becausethis solidifies my perspective that caesars taste like crap.

why the clam? Check it out...you'll find the true potential of tomato and booze without that fishy taste.

check it out - add your own clam juice if you must.

i must say, clam juice can perform magic in the kitchen. I needed a fish stock yesterday and emergency mode kicked in and I was able to make it using clam juice.

FTR, Clamato tastes totally normal to me. I'll agree that there was a bad batch one day (the expiry date was past due) and I think that may have put ms.hux's taste buds into clam shock.

Nothing worse than a bad clam...

Yep, big fan of the Ceasar as well...what's not to love?...clamato, celery, lime, tabasco, worcestershire, salt n'peppa...

Sorry that you had an unpleasant experience Ms. H but hey, after 10+years of enjoying the concoction, I'd say you got off easy with only having an off one or two... ;)

Loved reading your HM Blog!

i must say, clam juice can perform magic in the kitchen. I needed a fish stock yesterday and emergency mode kicked in and I was able to make it using clam juice.

FTR, Clamato tastes totally normal to me. I'll agree that there was a bad batch one day (the expiry date was past due) and I think that may have put ms.hux's taste buds into clam shock.

::bites tongue::

The one I'm drinking right now tastes grrreat, I'm using the spicy clamato.

I have had bad experiences with the Works blend, I enjoy it the first day I open it but can't stand the smell if I try it the next day. I'm not sure if it's the horseradish they put in there or what. I do like putting my own horse radish in them as I make them though.

We don't get Clamato juice over here in Korea, so no Caesars.. Life is tough! I like my Caesar to be like an fine iced ministrone - loaded up with as many ingredients as possible. Celery salt, celery, worcester, tabasco, lemon, HORSERADISH and pickled ________. Picked ANYTHING really but I enjoy 3 or 4 big green olives, or a pickled string bean. I bet even a big dill pickle would go well.

Doctor, I think I may have a problem. Clams used to make me moan when they met mouth. I would gulp them up and swish their juices in my mouth and be in pure bliss. Sometimes even the thought of the clam would send shivers down my spine and put me into a deep state of wanting. I didn't care where the clam came from, when I needed it, I just plain needed it. I've even had clams in airports, bars and my friends backyards. The perfect thing about the clam is that I can have it morning, noon or night. It made me happy when I was feeling down and when I was in top form, you had better watch out 'cause I can pound back the clam like no ones business.

But a few weeks ago, I bought some clam on the Quebec side. The second the clam revealed itself I knew it was different. It smelled off, but I was craving the clam so much that I decided to plunge in anyway. BIG MISTAKE. That clam was putrid. It tasted like rancid pig ass and now, no matter how fresh, young or pink, I just can not enjoy the clam juice. I've tried, lord knows I've tried. I've added hot sauce to the clams, tried freezing them with lots of ice and tried to drown out any flavor with vodka, but they all taste alike now. I close my eyes and try, but porcine anus is all I taste.

Please help. This is not something that I can do without. It is my preference, my love and my lifestyle. I can swing no other way.

Doctor, I think I may have a problem. Clams used to make me moan when they met mouth. I would gulp them up and swish their juices in my mouth and be in pure bliss. Sometimes even the thought of the clam would send shivers down my spine and put me into a deep state of wanting. I didn't care where the clam came from, when I needed it, I just plain needed it. I've even had clams in airports, bars and my friends backyards. The perfect thing about the clam is that I can have it morning, noon or night. It made me happy when I was feeling down and when I was in top form, you had better watch out 'cause I can pound back the clam like no ones business.

But a few weeks ago, I bought some clam on the Quebec side. The second the clam revealed itself I knew it was different. It smelled off, but I was craving the clam so much that I decided to plunge in anyway. BIG MISTAKE. That clam was putrid. It tasted like rancid pig ass and now, no matter how fresh, young or pink, I just can not enjoy the clam juice. I've tried, lord knows I've tried. I've added hot sauce to the clams, tried freezing them with lots of ice and tried to drown out any flavor with vodka, but they all taste alike now. I close my eyes and try, but porcine anus is all I taste.

Please help. This is not something that I can do without. It is my preference, my love and my lifestyle. I can swing no other way.

lol that's gold!

I'd like to meet the person who invented clamato juice. Was it Mr. Mott? I can just imagine his inventive process:

"Hmmmmm.... this tomato juice is tasty, but it seems to be missing a little something.... Hmmmm... what could it be? I know, the juice of clams!"

I think there was a much different, scarier, process: think about how many other additives he may have tried before determining that clam juice was the best-tasting one of the bunch...

Aloha,

Brad

• 15 years later...

I love Caesars too, and always buy Mott's.  I noticed that my last few bottles have more of a tomato juice taste.  I love clamato, and HATE tomato juice! I emailed the company, but they had no comment. I'm going to have to find a different Caesar mix - it ruins the whole drink 🤢