Jambands.ca

Live Maps - Microsofts Google Maps challenger

paisley

found it a little confusing to get around at first, but is well done... the "aerial" views feature is really sharp, would say the graphics in this area are definitely superior (to Google Maps "Satellite")

kinda hate when Microsoft does something right... besides the slickly done interface, not plastering their name all over the site is a stroke of genius =)

http://maps.live.com/

(so how come more operating system doesn't run this smoothly?)

live maps is good, but it's stupid that you can only look north. if you want to spin around and get another perspective (which is what it's all about) you can't do it.

a lot of their imagery is much sharper, and their urban environments with extracted buildings look awesome (but again, only looking north).

google has a better API at the moment, and there are way more external hooks into google earth than live maps. google supports GE way better at the moment. and people are actually making software compatible with google earth.

so, for now i give google the edge still because of the range of motion and visual perspectives, external hooks, and range of help / blogs / external compatible apps.

buildings and 3d environments are definitely better in some areas within live maps. but they have a heck of a long way to go.

shit, you were talking 2D. sorry, i was talking about Google Earth and Live Maps 3D and you were talking about Google Maps and Live Maps 2D

Check out the Microsoft Live Maps 3D - you'll have to install an add-on for your browser, but it's worth it once you tilt up and look at toronto or ottawa... the buildings are impressive in their shape-detail and sheer numbers.

was actually an automatic update that kept hanging up half way through (figure I had the wrong service shut off to let it do its thing... am really past caring... setting up a linux machine in the basement right now... run one of each for a bit and see what I likes better (have a feeling it won't be the one that likes to sneak surprise blue screens into my day occasionally))

turned off automatic updates, let the Live Maps installation remove the .NET half install and it worked no problem... if you have the latest .NET 2.0 security upgrade already up and running doubt you'd run into the same situation

Oh gawd; LINUX. [[[[sHUDDER]]]]

Trade the updates for the billions of driver files and config files written by billions of different people that you get to try and make work together. I don't get paid enough to want to work with LINUX. Not that I'm a big fan of Windows. In fact: I FUCKIN' HATE COMPUTERS.

Oh gawd; LINUX. [[[[sHUDDER]]]]

Trade the updates for the billions of driver files and config files written by billions of different people that you get to try and make work together. I don't get paid enough to want to work with LINUX. Not that I'm a big fan of Windows. In fact: I FUCKIN' HATE COMPUTERS.

I enjoy challenges/new things so figure why not... soon as I can afford one will grab myself a Mac (for graphics work, sound and video)... am actually starting off with a nice stable Red Hat Enterprise build so not exactly putting the whole O/S together myself from scratch either

look at Windows to Linux like switching from automatic to shift stick... a little more work at first but more control in the corners once you get a feel for it

• 2 weeks later...

holy shit. I'm officially impressed AND freaked out by the concept and quality of MS Live Maps. I can see so much money to be made in advertising putting banners/flags/neon signs on buildings.

I wonder when we'll start seeing shit like that?

If you get a chance, check out toronto, Yonge and Elm and twist the view so you are looking directly at Sam The Record Man. They have the buildings facade, al beit low-res, but it's amazing technology. I wonder how much of this image mapping is done by hand?

They've even got higher res and more recent imagery of our house too. Are we able to share locations marks?

You can certainly harvest the links:

my office

Google is so amazing. I was on a strategic retreat not so long ago and learned the mission statements for several different companies. When we got to Google, my jaw droped at how huge a mission they set out to conquer:

Google: - To Document the World's Information.

Really think about that. If you had that task, where would you start and how far along would you be?

both sites point to the same intersection, so what do you mean by 'accurate'? edit - that hamilton imagery in google maps is from First Base Solutions, they are not a good provider. hopefully google will move away from them to another provider for the next update. the msn image is better - less building lean and a lot sharper. i don't know the area so can't comment on the vintage.

google updates imagery on a semi-regular basis, as new stuff becomes available from their providers. there are usually 2 or 3 big updates evenly spaced throughout the year and numerous smaller updates.

ms live maps haven't done a large update since re-launching the product. will be interesting to see how that goes off when they do.

google updates imagery on a semi-regular basis, as new stuff becomes available from their providers. there are usually 2 or 3 big updates evenly spaced throughout the year and numerous smaller updates.

ms live maps haven't done a large update since re-launching the product. will be interesting to see how that goes off when they do.

I understand that you are probally more informed then myself about this stuff, but when I look at my address on google the picture I get seems to be about two years old and the MSN seems to be more current.

Google still shows my backyard without the canopy (2005) and the blue car we sold in the winter of that year but MSN shows we have the canopy, which we bought and set up in spring 2006, although the drive-way is empty.

yes - the microsoft project re-launched with more current imagery than the google product.

so google is behind microsoft in some areas and ahead in some areas, depends on what imagery data they buy from providers and what the vintage of the data is.

both sites point to the same intersection, so what do you mean by 'accurate'?

Yeah, I was trying to show the difference in the two... in the google one, there is a big giant school on that corner. In the live maps one (and in reality) it is now just a big field.