Jambands.ca

SOULJAZZ ORCHESTRE, STEVE "ELMO" MURPHY BAND: This Saturday, Hamilton.

kc

PJC presents

Ottawa's

SOULJAZZ ORCHESTRA

souljazz33.jpg

With guests

Steve Murphy Band

This Saturday, July 28th.

$10, 10pm

http://www.souljazzorchestra.com/

@ Pepper Jack's

38 King William St.

Hamilton, ON

www.pepperjackcafe.com

(905)525-6666

Since 2002, the Ottawa-based band has been keeping the classic sounds of raw, gritty groove alive and well in Canada. Their style combines jazz, funk, African and Latin music with messages touching on politics and spirituality.

The blaring horns, retro keyboards and polyrhythmic beats show the influence of James Brown, Herbie Hancock, Fela Kuti and Tito Puente, but the sound remains refreshingly original. Their stylistic variety is in part due to the diverse musical backgrounds of the band’s individual members : jazz, funk, blues, reggae, classical, and traditional Cuban, Brazilian and West African percussion.

The Souljazz Orchestra has had the chance to collaborate with notable artists such as Beautiful Nubia and Mighty Popo, and has opened up for Etta James, Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings, Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, John Lee Hooker Jr., The Sadies, Fred Eaglesmith, and more. The band has appeared at the Montreal Jazz Festival, the Ottawa Jazz Festival, the Ottawa Blues Festival, and the Ottawa Tulip Festival.

The Souljazz Orchestra released their second album, Freedom No Go Die, in September of 2006. This high-energy release focuses mainly on afrobeat music, and features the vocal stylings of Mighty Popo, Alanna Stuart and Marielle Rivard. The album is already creating quite a stir in the dancefloor jazz scene, prompting legendary DJ Gilles Peterson from BBC Radio 1 to enthuse, "That's made for music, that is!" Exclaim! Magazine went on to state that "the Ottawa quintet […] craft a sound as tight as the power fists that adorn the cover. Songs of resistance, revolution and positivity in the best of the afrobeat tradition.†The album is soon to be re-released worldwide through Do Right! Music, a Toronto-based label showcasing Canada’s best new jazz, funk, hip-hop and electronic music.

The Souljazz Orchestra's all-original debut album, Uprooted, was released in April of 2005, also to critical acclaim. The Ottawa Fulcrum stated that the album "captures the energy and bounce that is characteristic of their live show" and that it is "definitely an all-around feel-good album, in that James Brown kinda way", while the Ottawa Sun noted that the band "lend itself equally well to afrobeat, modern jazz or JBs-style funk".

Both releases have received worldwide airplay, mostly through public and campus radio, topping many Canadian station charts at #1.

Big fan of Soul Jazz - I brought them to Toronto for the first time way back in 2006 when I was doing the NUFUNK Fridays at the Gypsy Co-op - at that time they were woodshedding in Ottawa doing their weekly at Babylon - now 2 years later they are major stars in Toronto - have had the front page of the NOW magazine and gigs with King Sunshine, Gilles Peterson, Elastocitizens, John Kong & Jason Palma. Highly recommended - I enjoy this band much more that Mr. Something Something - however Mr. S&S have a way more engaging lead-singer - I think it's because they are more true to the Afrobeat spirit - check out songs like "Mr. President" - Afrobeat with the overtly political message is where it's at.

Great show - though - Steve Murphy Band seems a bit of stretch for an appropriate opener - I'd go if I wasn't playing somewhere that night.

I still want Pierre to bring out his version of Paranoid Android, done entirely on his Hammond and Rhodes. Fuckin' Stellar work, but not as much Afro funky........... yet!

My mind has just been boggled. I've heard Brad Mehldau do it (on his Live in Tokyo album; it's about 20 minutes long), but I'd love to see Pierre bust it out some time. (And I doubt it'd be afrish, but SJO's repertoire ranges far beyond/around afro-beat; I like their latin, soul, jazz, and funk stuff at least as much as their afro-beat.)

Aloha,

Brad

What was the offical story behind Raggamuffin getting the boot from their 'lucrative' Thursday night gig at Babylon which led to SoulJazz taking over and using it as a solid stepping stone for their careers.

I heard that the story was that someone accidentally shot themselves in the leg with the handgun they were playing with in their pocket, and then left the club on his own power. Aparantley the music kept playing and none were aware of the 'accidental' self shooting until the cops showed up a half hour later investigating this shot man that had shown up at the hospital. If it's true, that is so Ottawa.... a self-inflicted, easy to miss, cesspool. :P

What was the offical story behind Raggamuffin getting the boot from their 'lucrative' Thursday night gig at Babylon which led to SoulJazz taking over and using it as a solid stepping stone for their careers.

I heard that the story was that someone accidentally shot themselves in the leg with the handgun they were playing with in their pocket, and then left the club on his own power. Aparantley the music kept playing and none were aware of the 'accidental' self shooting until the cops showed up a half hour later investigating this shot man that had shown up at the hospital. If it's true, that is so Ottawa.... a self-inflicted, easy to miss, cesspool. :P

http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/222935

Aloha,

Brad

i believe you have it mostly correct, although from what i recall people in the club definitely reacted to the shot.

raggamuffin - soul jazz - pizza party and punk rock. the good old days are over.

hey, hope the hamilton gig is fun!