Jambands.ca

Here we go again: RS's Top 'Current' Best Live Bands

Jaimoe

I've only seen 6, I guess my opinions are worthless....

Ha Ha! Nah, your opinion is as valid as anyone else's in this discussion. I think these top 10 lists or top 20 lists are good because it gets the discussion going and there are some very interesting viewpoints.

I'll agree with AD, Pearl Jam and Metallica have been consistently awesome in concert over their careers. I've followed both bands since their early days and have always enjoyed the shows.

Flame me if you must, but I think Rush is an incredible live act.

Shit, I've only seen 4 of those acts. There are a few on there that I want to see too.

These lists do generate discussion ... that's a good thing. I always wonder what type of criteria they use in determining who they think should be on there. Are we talking about how these bands perform live right now? Or how they've been over the year? Or could they suck now but have been amazing back then? Is it the music, the visuals, the combo?

Freak, I agree with you, Rush is fantastic live. I sure as hell wouldn't put DMB on there though. Fun, but nothing out of the ordinary, IMHO.

I would also include ACDC who can still kick most new acts asses on stage. Zappa's live shows were notoriously good as were the Who in the 70s.

Seen two live on that list :

Pearl Jam with Neil Young, Sound Garden & Blues Traveler @ the CNE.

Metallica @ Maple Leaf Gardens in '86.

Aside from RATM I have absolutley no interest in seeing any of the others. (I've listened to most of them though)

Only ones I hadn't heard until tonight when I went to their sites/myspaces were The Hold Steady, Gogol Bordello, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Muse & LCD Soundsystem - none of which impressed me.

What about the girls? This is a dominantly male list - I did a rough count, there are 86 members of all the bands listed. Of those 86 just 6 are female, and that includes 2 go-go dancers from Gogol Bordello and a touring keyboardist from LCD.

Bjork would be at number 1 in my version of this list, but aside from her I can't really think of any female-dominant bands that I'd put on it.

I can't really think of any female-dominant bands that I'd put on it.

Lucinda Williams! Her show in Lewiston, NY the other week is the best show I've seen all year thus far. I would also add Neko Case and I've always enjoyed PJ Harvey. Not sure I would add Neko and PJ but definitely Lucinda!

I've seen Neko many times and her shows are good and I'll always go if she's playing nearby, but they aren't anything special. Lucinda puts on great shows, she'd be a candidate on my list for sure. Perhaps somewhere in the low teens.

I've never seen PJ Harvey but I would absolutely love to. She's one that I haven't been able to scratch off my list yet.

Le Tigre put on fun shows.

I'm sure Feist would put on an excellent show. The reviews from her recent Massey Hall gig were positive.

Feist is ... in a word ... boring live. That's not to say she isn't a great singer songwriter - she is. Personally, I think she has one of the nicest voices I have ever heard. She gets regular rotation at my place. It's just that her music doesn't tranlaste very well in a live "performance".

is rolling stone discussing shows as in 'events' like the whole concert experience, like a KISS show, or are they talking about musical performance?

seems to me it's a bit of a mixture. the Stripes have a somewhat elaborate set up, Pearl Jam has none but plays hard for about 2 hours or more every night, radiohead brings all their goodies with them and have amazing lights and screens, u2 is bombastic over the top crap, why the hell is rage on the list, metallica plays hard for long with lights and pyro and screens and more, the lips are a full on 'experience...' and then it trails off into bands that, for the most part (exceptions being tool for the full experience and the RHCP, i imagine they have quite the multimedia show), just play well every night.

it's wierd.

Feist puts on great musical shows, she wouldn't make it onto my list however, there isn't much else going on and her songs can kind of drag in a live setting.

I've seen U2 five times and they most certainly deserve to be on the list. I've never seen a Toronto audience as enthusiastic as their crowd at the ACC a while back, and that says a lot since ACC crowds tend to be like knitting circles.

As much as they are an older band Little Feat needs to be on this list.

They are consistently one of the best live acts in any genre I have ever seen.

They always perform at a very high technical level and get the crowd pumped.

"FEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET"!

Little%20Feat_345.jpg

Typically bands like this are ignored by rolling stone these days as they do not sell a tonne of albums or have flashy endorsment/promo deals etc...

Rolling Stone is a fluffer for major labels these days and really just a popularity contest...

I think U2 is def a top rank live act. I wasn't too enthralled by much of their stuff in the 90s, but that's cool.

I saw them at MLG in 1985 and was blown away (nothing on the stage except them, no props, cars, disco balls) and they were kickass.

Next time I saw them was last year at the ACC and was again blown away. It was great to see a band 21 years later and they've still got it.

I've seen 9 on the list, and loved every show I got to see of them... I suppose at the top of the list would have to of been the Pearl Jam/MMJ show at the ACC the last time around... and Radiohead at Maple Leaf Gardens... Wilco as well, as far as the top three go, I'd have to slide the White Stripes down that list a bit.