Jambands.ca

Bicycle Repairs....

rubberdinghy

You are being mum on the brand and quality of the bike. If it's a shitbox talk to Dave at the bike dump - he's very knowledgeable and always entertaining. However he uses really cheap parts that are only worthwhile if you're looking to spend the bare minimum in keeping your bike going.

I like the guys at Foster's more than Tommy and Lefebvre if it's a mid-range bike. And I don't ride and have never ridden a fancy bike so in that class someone else might know.

mike bike is fucked and the chain skips on every 4th or 5th rotation. That gets annoying after only 5 minutes, but it can hurt when going up a hill and I'm in power thigh mode.

anyway, I'm ready to toss it and spend another 100 bucks at canadian tire if they have any clearance bikes.

Your bottom bracket is most likely worn out (if you hold both of the crankarms and you can rock them back and forth laterally, then it's new BB time)...Based on the year your bike was built and the price point that the Rincon sits at, my guess is it's either an ISIS type of bottom bracket or a square tapered spindle variety...Either of those are readily available at any shop...The replacement part is about fifty bucks and labour will be another thirty or so...I'm currently using a Raceface branded BB which has lasted for quite a while without issue...Another reputable brand of Isis BBs is Truvativ (which is owned by the same company that makes Rock Shox)...For square tapered BBs, accept nothing less than genuine Shimano...The difference in price between lowballing at some Joe-Shmoe's back alley shop and a reputable bike store with proper tools and knowledgeable staff will only end up being about twenty bucks or so in the end but it'll be worth it in the long run...