Jambands.ca

what would you do?

Blane

ok, so when I first came here I wanted to get a thank-you gift for the head of the program that I'm working with for helping me sort out the details of moving to africa. I picked up a pretty good bottle of wine (like 45 bucks in the UK) on my way here and gave it to him. Now I'd drank with the guy before a few times and know he likes wine, but that was a couple of years ago, and not in his home country.

So anyway, I gave him the bottle in June when I arrived, he thanked me and put it on the shelf in his office (still in a plastic bag). It's now august and the wine is still sitting there! For a while I thought maybe he hadn't gotten around to taking it home but this is a bit rediculous now. So I wonder, is it that he doesn't want it, or can't bring it home for some reason (remember it's a muslim country, though he's clearly not muslim), or is it just that he's saving it for something.

I'm 1/2 tempted to say "hey, if it was a bad idea for me to give you that wine you don't have to keep it" but i don't want to make it sound like i'm pissed off about it or something. Still, it's a shame to watch a good bottle of Margaux bake in the 35 degree temperatures of our office, and I'd feel bad if he just didn't know what to do with it.

what would you do?

That sucks that he hasn't enjoyed it yet, or that he didn't offer to sit down and drink with you!

But... a gift is a gift is a gift. Once you give something to someone, consider it none of your business what they do with it. (Unless it's a puppy.)

I'm sure that even if he doesn't like the gift, the thought and sentiment is not lost on him.

Yeah, I'd totally be happy to forget about it under most circumstances, but I'm just a bit worried that the fact that he hasn't even moved it (literally sitting in a plastic bag on his shelf, kinda in the way), might mean he doesn't know what to do with it. Like I don't knwo if maybe I made some kind of faux pas...

I guess I'd have to trust him to tell me if that was the case.

I'd steal it back and drink it out of a paper bag after work!

Better yet: swap the bottle for a more modest (read: cheap) wine, ideally with a similar-looking label. If the recipient truly doesn't know what he's got (I recognize the name "Margeaux" as a pretty prominent French vineyard, but others may not), he might never know the difference.

Aloha,

Brad

It IS possible that he just doesn't notice it anymore as it has become part of his background.

I'd bring it up in a wine storing conversation. Maybe talk about some wine that you're saving for a few years to let it mature and how it's in a carefully controlled environment. Then mention, "hey, you should get that wine I gave you into proper storage or it'll go bad".

then say "Fuck Youuuuu" and run off.

I'd bring it up in a wine storing conversation.

That's how I am looking at it but from a different angle from Mikes.

You will know the *moment* and should politely suggest "Dude, we did awesome today. Let's celebrate this mafacker. Got any glasses 'cause I 'sho know you got the wine and I got the time."

these are all fukcing brilliant suggestions folks!

To clarify, he's a 60 or so year old Parisian. Not that it matters. Maybe I'll just go into work drunk one day, grab it off his shelf and say "...schhhory, i done run out at home" and stumble back to my place to polish it off.

God knows I've done worse in front of him!