Jambands.ca

Jamming etiquette??

edger

Yeah, if you're not invited, don't even bother. If the stretch of time hasn't been determined and you find yourself on stage, I'd say make the motion to leave after about the second tune and the band will tell you to stay if you're really cookin.

I just typed the same thing and realized it'd be easier to quote it. My thoughts exactly.

Much of this has been said but...

1. you must be invited to play

2. Listen, listen , listen and do not step on other players toes.

3. Wait for your turn to solo as directed by a band member in the band you are "sittin in with".

4. Play stylistically "in line" with the song, do not attempt to force a technique or style that is not appropriate.

5. If you are not sure of a part in the tune...lay out until you are confident.

6. Keep it simple, clean, and poignant.

weird timing, the festival we went to this weekend actually had a workshop called Jamming Etiquette! i'm not sure if anybody hit that one up though...stuff seems kinda obvious. though i guess it isn't for some!

Having had the good fortune of being a host of an open stage, I had to get to that workshop, and there were lots of important things brought up. The first, primary, central, indispensable, most desperately necessary thing, though, was put out there, right front and centre, and reiterated time, time, and time again through the workshop.

LISTEN!!!!!!!!

And in case anyone missed that, allow me to repeat.

ear1.GIF

Fingers (etc.) follow the ears, if the brain is capable of being responsive to those ears. You have to be humble; if there's music in the works, respect it, pay close, close attention to what's going on in it, and find some way to add to it in the little bit of a way that you can.

The other thing - and this is where politics enters into it all - is that if there's somebody who's started something - i.e., had begun to lead a tune, follow their lead; anarchy is a cute concept sometimes, but will only take you - and more significantly, the people on stage with you - so far. If the singer, e.g., should gaffe on a verse and come in too soon, compared to some version of some tune you're familiar with, well, too bad - catch up and follow them. They've led the tune. Be decent and do all you're capable of to help them out with it.

I've missed, I see, the second, and other, most cardinal rule. WATCH. It's all about the eye contact - unless you're in Zappa's band, in which case, it's all about the arcane hand signals. If someone looks at you expectantly, like you should take the break, well, that's your cue, unless you're not in your space at the moment, in which case, play coy until the next chance, should you get one, and for God's sake, keep listening and playing right and not fucking things up for anyone else; maybe you'll get a chance next time around. Things are loud on stage. Use all your senses. Yes, use the Force if you will. Just don't screw it up for the good people who have brought you up there to fill the space with the sounds that everyone in the vicinity will have to digest, for good or ill. Make it, when all's said and done, less ill than good.

All that said, a really good jam is so much better and satisfying than any concatenation of mere words.

Personally I hate playing with weak jammers...and when I hate jamming i might as well have just stayed home. Then I resent having spent time trying to play music with the overly polite, quiet, weak, reserved musicians...generally guitar players that can't play rhythm with a dynamic rhythm section.

If I could empart a suggestion, it would be to play something that supports and drives a group.

Yeah, if you're not invited, don't even bother.

..depends though, some bands are more conducive to allow somewhat random jam guests and are even likely used to it.

To get on stage you should at least be somewhat recognizable to the crowd (ie. be one of the "regulars") You should not be some dude running in from the audience wielding a harp screaming "I know this one, give me a mic." (even though that would be fun too).

If you're not recognizable to the crowd, then you better not get up, unless the band invites you for some reason.