Jambands.ca

The Dead Inks Starbucks Deal

Kanada Kev

http://www.relix.com/Features/Daily_News/The_Dead_Inks_Starbucks_Deal_200708072460.html

The Dead Inks Starbucks Deal

On the heels of Paul McCartney and Bob Dylan’s recent deals with Starbucks, the Grateful Dead has partnered with the omnipresent coffee chain to create a new compilation. Eternally Grateful is a two CD set exclusively available through Starbucks featuring a disc of studio tracks and a disc of live recordings. The studio recordings span the group’s career, including “Friend of the Devil,†“Box Of Rain,†“Althea,†“Eyes of the World,†“Truckin',†“Shakedown Street,†“Cream Puff War,†“Scarlet Begonias,†“Touch of Grey,†“Sugar Magnolia,†“Cold Rain And Snow,†“China Cat Sunflower,†“Uncle John's Band,†“Casey Jones†and “Ripple.†The set’s live disc also runs the gamete, featuring “Jack Straw,†“Bertha,†“My And My Uncle,†“Cumberland Blues,†“Me And Bobby McGee,†“Brown-Eyed Woman,†“Morning Dew,†“Johnny B. Goode†and “Not Fade Away.â€

Starbucks is also offering a new compilation of tracks culled from Dave Matthews Band’s ongoing Live Trax series. Both the Grateful Dead and Dave Matthews Band’s compilations are now available. http://www.hearmusic.com/index.php?detectflash=false#PRODUCT289

No, I mean most things with a mininum of three twists of irony, which makes them incalculably indecipherable at best. That's how I plan to avoid government intelligence agencies when they come after me for all the things I've written on internet discussion fora over the years; I've just opted to never made sense.

(But speaking more practically, I'd haver to see stats of people who hang out at Starbucks vis-a-vis people who hang out at campfire jams before anything I've said makes much palpable sense anyway.)

(And, fwiw, I'd be perfectly happy taking on a research position as someone who studies people hanging out at Starbucks and people who hang out at campfire jams.)

another unnecessary Grateful Dead compilation

If the Dead is looking to expand their fan base (or demographic), this sounds like an ideal (maybe even necessary) way to do it. I doubt many GD fans will buy it (I won't), but there will be a bunch of people who'll take a chance on it (more because they know the name, and not the music) while waiting for their alpacinos.

Aloha,

Brad

Whoa, hoa what I want to know.............which version of Morning Dew is going on this thing?????

That's all that matters in this piece of news. I hope it's one we havent heard in the other umpteen thousand releases thus far. Send me a link to the tune when you can!

In an era when record companies have managed to all but decimate the artistic credibility of popular music, to the point where the average person seems to regard music as background filler, I have the urge to applaud any new-ish (if questionable) attempt at distributing music of substance.

Keep in mind that many of us music obsessed folk love the "surprise factor" in the discovery of (and subsequent obbsession with) newly found music...well...if the record industry can't muster this anymore, let's see if it can happen for people at the coffee shop.

Jef

Man, I was in Starbucks last week and saw it sitting there. Took me by surprise. I was really going to rant in my blog. It just seemed wrong. The more I thought about it though, if it gets the music out to more people who normally wouldn't have had the chance to hear it, that's not a bad thing.

I just really hate Starbucks. lol.

Edited by Guest

A few years ago when I was working at a CD store that won't be named, we had these guys come in with multiple copies of brand new shrink-wrapped CDs and DVDs they had presumably lifted from Chapters and Starbucks and HMV.

My boss would buy everything really cheap and then resell them just below the regular retail price even though they were exclusive to, say, Starbucks. That is how I first encountered Bob Dylan's "Live at The Gaslight 1962." Great CD.