Jambands.ca

Bonds breaks the homerun record.

Freak By Night

There are not very many baseball posts in this forum. Sure, there's a thread for the Blue Jays fans and one about relief pitchers, but the all-time homerun record was broken last night and nobody seems to care around here. Is it because Bonds is all jacked up on the juice that there's barely a peep in Rich Stadium?

The best headline I read was:

Bonds Makes An Asterisks Of Himself

hahaha

I still am applauding the acheivement. Its damn incredible. Steroids dont help your hand-eye coordination. Sure he may have missed alot less games thanks to steroids and sure he probably jacked an extra 50 (?whoknows?) but in the end its impressive to think about. If Hank Aaron can congradulate him, I am sure we all can......

One of these cops got the wrong assignment last night.

Maybe if the game was on in prime time I'd pay more attention. I was long in bed by the time Barry hit his homer. And I don't even think it was on TV if I had wanted to watch.

Nice of Hank Aaron to tape a message though. Meanwhile Bud Selig adds another incident to the "I look like an ass" list.

Meanwhile Bud Selig adds another incident to the "I look like an ass" list.

Why this one? Because he missed one game due to a pre-scheduled meeting and would have rejoined the Barry tour after it? Its not like these people can put their lives/jobs on hold simply for a photo-op.

I still am applauding the acheivement. Its damn incredible. Steroids dont help your hand-eye coordination. Sure he may have missed alot less games thanks to steroids and sure he probably jacked an extra 50 (?whoknows?) but in the end its impressive to think about. If Hank Aaron can congradulate him, I am sure we all can......

yup.

I watched the game last night (well until he hit #756 anyway) it was on sportsnet west which I was able to watch thru the satellite.

I don't think Bond's record will last another 31 years. A-Rod could break it, he just got his 500th homer and he's only what, 32 years old?

Exactly. The thing about Bonds record is that int he long run it will not really mean anything.

A-Rod is only 32 and has 500, he will easily eclipse Bonds.

The A-Rod countdown starts today..

And good for that. Bonds is a tainted player and his record will always be in question in many peoples minds...unlike Aaron's.

Edited by Guest

Why this one? Because he missed one game due to a pre-scheduled meeting and would have rejoined the Barry tour after it? Its not like these people can put their lives/jobs on hold simply for a photo-op.

I think a meeting can be re-scheduled for "the biggest record in sports".

Exactly. The thing about Bonds record is that int he long run it will not really mean anything.

A-Rod is only 32 and has 500, he will easily eclipse Bonds.

The A-Rod countdown starts today..

Too bad A-Rod is such a little bitch. I think I'd rather Bonds have the record than him.

I think a meeting can be re-scheduled for "the biggest record in sports".

How many meetings though? How do we know what has already been cancelled? Remember, its not like he has been recently crushing the ball here. He was mired in the muck up until 754.

Not that I agree with Seligs decision but I think we all know what his stance is regarding the chase. It doesnt make him look like an ass. Not to these eyes anyways.

Not that I agree with Seligs decision but I think we all know what his stance is regarding the chase. It doesnt make him look like an ass. Not to these eyes anyways.

He's the freaking COMMISSIONER. If he has some evidence that Bonds is/was on the juice he needs to bring it forward or shut up and celebrate the record. His half-ass stance on the matter is what makes him look like an ass.

vintage bonds last night - swung a great bat, waited for his pitches, used his eye to work the count.. think it went to 3-2 every at-bat.. and hit a crusher of a record breaker.

i give this record 8 years, though, if a-rod stays healthy.

the thing about bonds though, is juice or no juice, his numbers are astonishing. consider all the walks and lost at-bats.. his batting average as he got older also got better, he made the most out of every pitch he got, home run or not - thats why he's probably the best hitter in the game.

everyone, except the sportswriter who needs something to bitch about and someone to bring down, knows that to hit a home run you have to have incredible hand-eye and timing, plus the right mechanics. consistency. you're dealing with a spinning round ball coming at you in a fraction of a second, and you have to hit it with a round bat. a good hitter fails to even hit the thing 7 out of 10 times, let alone out of the park.

as for the juicing - its the "steroids era" - just like there was the dead ball era, the segregation era, the 80's, etc etc... to cheat, you have to have an unfair advantage over someone else, but if everyone is juiced, who has the advantage over whom? and how come more fuss isnt made that statistically more pitchers have tested positive for banned substances? cuz thats boring?

lets not even get into the executives and owners role....

756 is the new record... if he goes to an AL team to DH next year, it could wind up over 800... A-Rod might hit 900 before he's done.. it's history now, part of the lore... add it to the book, but leave the asterisk out of it.

Destruction Of National Pastime Given Two-Minute Standing Ovation

August 9, 2007 | Onion Sports

SAN FRANCISCO—A sellout crowd rose to its feet and exploded into ecstatic cheers Tuesday night as Barry Bonds completed the downfall of America's most revered sport by hitting a thundering 435-foot shot into the right center field bleachers for career home run No. 756 and tainting baseball's most beloved record.

bondsyt0.jpg

Celebrations broke out throughout AT&T Park and thousands of flashbulbs went off as Bonds took his ceremonial trip around the bases, his arms raised in a jubilant gesture of triumph as he completed his desecration of baseball. Fireworks filled the night sky to mark the utter destruction of the national pastime, a scramble for the infamous baseball broke out in the stands, and the game was interrupted for 10 minutes in the bottom of the fifth to mark the shameful occasion.

Mike Bacsik, the pitcher who made the difficult and admirable decision to pitch to Bonds as if he were a normal player, and who will forever be known as the man whose fastball was sent out of the park along with the last remnant of baseball's self-respect, could only watch. Bonds would later present Bacsik with an autographed bat.

Moments after Bonds crossed home plate into the loving arms of his family and the eventual judgment of history, he addressed the fans, thanking them for their support on his long, hard road of perverting baseball.

"Thank you very much. I got to thank all of you, all the fans here in San Francisco. It's been fantastic," he said to his deluded and complicit home crowd as his godfather Willie Mays, a fading symbol of what baseball once was, stood at his side.

As soon as Bonds completed his self-congratulation, a self-conscious gasp could be heard as a videotaped message from Hank Aaron was played over the video screen, sending surprise and a fleeting moment of uncomfortable self-awareness through both the crowd and Bonds himself.

"Throughout the past century, the home run has held a special place in baseball and I have been privileged to hold this record for 33 of those years," said Aaron, whose legacy of persevering with profound personal dignity through racism and persecution to become the all-time home run leader will hopefully not be tarnished by public acknowledgment of Bonds.

"I move over now and offer my best wishes to Barry and his family on this historic achievement," Aaron concluded, displaying infinitely more grace than Bonds, baseball fans, and perhaps even baseball itself had any right to ask of him.

Bonds then presented his helmet, gloves, and bat to a steward of the Baseball Hall of Fame for shipment to Cooperstown, where they will be enshrined forever, allowing fathers and sons to come and stare at them glumly as they bear mute witness to baseball's diminished glory.

The Nationals won the game, 8-6.