Jambands.ca

Talking Drum News

Ms.Huxtable

Hey Everyone,

I received another update from the one and only Leo Brooks. Hand drumming instructor extrodinaire.

Hello Everyone,

Here is a quick note to tell you about some outstanding workshops and concerts coming up in Ottawa this week-end and early in the following week. There is also a heads up on classes starting in the fall – but I will send another installment of the newsletter in a few weeks with more details and opportunities to play.

Please check out the show next Tuesday or Wednesday. It is a rare treat to have artists of this caliber playing West African music in Ottawa!

Lastly, you will notice that this newsletter is in the old Text style rather than being posted on the website. This is because my website is finally getting a major overhaul. The website should be on-line in early September. It will feature tons of info on classes, drums, and instructional materials, as well as an on-line store. I am planning a launch party for the site featuring performances by me and friends, displays of new drums, prizes and of course a run through of the new site. Please mark down September 28 on the calendar as the day to come celebrate this new start with me!

1. Cobra Du Mandingue Concerts

2. Drumming and Dance workshops with members of Cobra du Mandingue

3. Drumming workshop this Friday at the Ottawa Folk Festival

4. Adult and Youth beginner’s classes with Leo this fall

5. Treefrog Percussion Website Launch Party

6. Drumming workshops with Billy Konaté

7. Third Annual Evening of Drumming and Dance

8. Baobab Tree Classes

1. Cobra Du Mandingue Concerts

Cobra du Mandingue (featuring Soriba Simbo Camara, Fode Bangoura, Basile Moutuan Seni and Mohamed Diarra) will be performing on Tuesday August 21st and Wednesday August 22nd at 8:00 pm at the Ottawa Arts Court on 2 Daly Avenue. The cost for each performance is $20. Tickets can be purchased at the Ottawa Arts Court or from Mohamed Diarra. Mohamed Diarra at 819-210-6176 (cell), 819-776-3901 or by e-mail: diarradeny@yahoo.ca. For information about Dance Kapital please visit www.upasana.ca

2. Drumming and Dance workshops with members of Cobra du Mandingue

Workshops are also being held on Saturday August 18th and Sunday August 19th at Dance Educators Studios at 111A Rideau Street, 3rd Floor. The workshop program is as follows:

August 18th:

Djembe workshop with Fode, Basile and Mohamed (beginner)

from 10 am - 11:30 am

Dance workshop with Simbo Camara (beginner) from 12 - 2 pm

Dance workshop with Simbo Camara (intermediate) from 4 - 6 pm

August 19th:

Djembe workshop with Fode, Basile and Mohamed (intermediate)

from 10 am - 11:30 am

Dance workshop with Simbo Camara (beginner) from 12 - 2 pm

Dance workshop with Simbo Camara (intermediate) from 4 - 6 pm

Cost: $25 for 1 workshop or $40 for 2 workshops ($20 for any additional workshops)

Registration: Please register with Mohamed Diarra at (819) 210-6176, (819) 776-3901 or by e-mail: diarradeny@yahoo.ca

3. Drumming workshop this Friday at the Ottawa Folk Festival

It has become a tradition to start off Friday evening at the Ottawa Folk Festival with a drumming workshop. This year is no exception. Kathy Armstrong will be leading the free workshop from 4:00 to 5:00 pm near the beach.

There is also workshops on Saturday and Sunday from 11:00 am to noon for kids ages 8-15, as well as Drum making at the Kid's Zone on Sunday

4. Adult and Youth beginner’s classes with Leo this fall

I will be teaching adult and youth beginners classes at the Alexander Community Centre on Thursdays from October 4 to November 15.

Youth classes (for ages 9 to 12) will be from 5:00 to 6:00 p.m. Drums will be provided.

$50. (What a deal!) maximum 10 kids.

Adult classes will be from 6:00 to 7:00. These classes will follow a condensed curriculum based on my “Introduction to Hand Drumming†book. $50. Maximum 10 participants

Classes will take place at the Alexander Community Centre (960 Silver)

To register, contact Earl Jones at 613 798 8978 or email earl.jones@ottawa.ca

5. Treefrog Percussion Website Launch Party

Having a professional looking website that offers information on the programs I do, the drums I build and sell, the shows I play and the other drumming stuff going on in the community has been a goal of mine for several years. It looks like it is finally going to happen and as a way to celebrate this milestone and get people chuffed up about it, I am throwing a launch party. This fun, family oriented, event will feature performances by myself and some friends, a display of all the instruments I have been building this summer, some imported instruments for sale, and of course a big screen projection of the new site.

There will be food, entertainment, and raffle prizes (even a chance to win a hand made drum) and the best part is – it is absolutely free!

I haven’t nailed down the date or location but it will most likely be on September 28 or 29 at the Conservatoire de Musique building in Hull. (430, boul. Alexandre-Taché)

I would love to see you there!

6. Drumming workshops with Billy Konaté

Billy Konaté, son of djembé legend Famoudou Konaté, will be in Ottawa to do workshops the week-end of October 20 and 21. This will be Billy’s first trip to Canada and it is an opportunity not to be missed. More details will follow in the next Talking Drums Newsletter, but mark the date in your Calendar now. For more information, contact Catherine Vielleux at catherine@sologlobe.com or call 819-777-2208.

7. Third Annual Evening of Drumming and Dance

The last two concerts have been such an overwhelming success that I am going to once again try to pull together some of the regions’ drum talent for an evening of fun fun drumming and dance. Lots of details to work out, but look for more news to come, but as always it will be early in November! Last year’s concert sold out so get your tickets early.

8. Baobab Tree Classes

We have our full 2007-2008 season posted on the website www.baobabtree.org for ages 7 through adult including some new classes this year.