Jambands.ca

Where were you four years ago today?

paisley

twas The Blackout of 2003

rode it out in Hess Village... if you have to sit in the law-less dark, might as well have lots to drink... ended drinkin in the streets, ordering beers in one bar walk out take it into another... LAW-LESS!

weird thing was you'd think having no stop lights traffic would be a mess but everyone just treated the dead lights like 4 way stops and it actually took me 5 minutes less than it usually does to drive home

had such a good time wanted to petition the province to shut down the grid one random day every summer... surprise holiday day!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say what I was doing during the blackout, but I'll never forget it.

I went to work later that day and was impressed by the generosity and general cohesiveness of the people affected in Toronto. People were directing traffic and water was being given away. All sorts of people working together really made me feel proud.

One guy that was NOT a team player was my roommate Stu. He went to a pub while I unloaded all the food from the freezer into a cooler. When the power came back in my area, Stu proceeded to crank the air-conditioning. Just another nail in his coffin and our friendship.

Edited by Guest

Well...I was at work when the lights went out, but...

The next day was to be Voodoolady and I's Stag and Doe party as we were getting ready to be married. Unfortunately it had to be cancelled.

Until, none other than Rabidmonkey offered his parents back yard to us!

Thank God he did...

Put it this way...you ever see a completely naked man, covered in cake, bouncing on a trampoline?

or perhaps, a drunken member of nero, roller-blading down the middle of the street, with a frantic fan screaming "WATCH THE HANDS!!!"

Greatest night ever!

ahh man, what a trip down memory lane!

I was at the airport hotel in Narita Japan (outside of Tokyo). I was on an overnight stay between Sydney and Montreal (via Chicago), watching CNN, the only English channel on TV, and drinking a vending machine beer when I saw the people marching over the Brooklyn bridge in NYC. I didn't think too much of it at the time (minus the brief 9/11 flashback), but when I got to Chicago the next day the reality set in.

I arrived to learn that all the other airlines had managed to get their systems back online EXCEPT Air Canada who couldn't get their shit together enough to actually transport people from point A to point B, not like it's their mandate or anything. So, I joined a queue of about 400 other people at the Air Canada area in O'Hare to see what was going to happen. They basically said, get a room (on your own tab) you're not going anywhere, we're not flying. This was as I'd already been en route for about 30+ hours, and had a grand total of 5 days to spend in Montreal before moving away again. I kinda freaked out on them from jetlag fatigue and frustration. Finally I got them to put me on a United Airlines flight to Burlington, VT, waited like 5 hours for a greyhound bus to Montreal and got to town about a day later than planned. Air Canada then lost my luggage for 4 of the 5 days I was in town, requiring me to go to the airport daily to check on whether it had arrived (they didn't have enough staff to answer the phone).

Such was the further amplification of my already glowing hatred for Air Canada.

I was on the Deer Run golf course near Chatham with my Dad. Of course did not realize the power had been out until we strolled up to the course club at about night fall... that's when we got the news that the lights were out all over the place.

Headed into town, picked up stu dog and went to my/ my folks' place, hooked up the generator to the fridge then got drunk with stu dog to candle light while listening to tapes on a battery powered ghetto blaster. It was great!

I am all for having a fews summer days every year set aside for a blackout.

Working at The Beer Store in lovely downtown Kitchener. Started calling folks to tell them i had the hook up and we ended up having one of the best house parties i've been to here at MamaPink's pad. i think there were like 20 or so people all drinkin and havin a ball to candle light.

KW blackout party INDEED!

I was standing at the Ontario Place box office buying tickets to see Steely Dan that night. The girl behind the counter started complaining that she couldn't get the printer to work. Her system was working though (they use laptops which have batteries). Not wanting to be drawn into providing tech support I casually turned around and leaned back against the counter to survey the big city. Slowly it began to dawn on me that something was odd but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. Suddenly she said behind me, "oh, I just got word that the power in the park is out." It hit me in the face like a wet mackerel: "Holy Shit, the power is out in Toronto!" I stood there for a few minutes chewing the cud with her and then heard on her walkie-talkie: "The entire Eastern seaboard is out." I turned on my cell phone, called Leanne and said, "fill the tub with water honey, this could get interesting."

Later that night Leanne and I made our way up to Kimbercote Farms to hook up with Tigger and enjoy a music festival. They had their own power source so other than our difficulty finding ice, we didn't even notice the power outage. Good times.

mackerel.gif

I was managing a bar then and had free access to ALOT of cold liquor.First I made a very dear and broke friend(male) wear an aqua cut off shirt with a sparkly kitty on it if I was going to feed him booze(very ignoble and giggly as all hell) and then supplied an impromptu house party .....messy,messy night.Don't remember much except the oddness of sound...like a super consciousness of everyone around being outside...and that it was dark and eventually..that the toilet was cold.

i was in montreal for radiohead as well, waiting for some friends from NYC to show up. it was a reunion of sorts as we hadn't seen each other for about 3 years and i was really worried that they weren't going to be able to get there. but they did and we had a blast at the show and enjoying the museums and food of montreal.