Jambands.ca

Dave Lauzon August 24, Pepperjacks Hamilton

Pablo Sanchez

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

same ol' shitty rig aberg. capsule mics/battery box > iriver.

jakis i'm leaving toronto after 8, do you need a ride?

Hey man, nothing wrong with that rig, it's great to be able to fit it in your pocket! I'll dedicate the recording to Brad as well.... if only he could make it down. I'm leaving KW around 8:30 aiming to get to the venue at about 9:15 (I drive quick). Cya there man.

i'm dedicating tonights recording to bradm. His spirit will be in my mics this eve.

Your mics are wondering whether they might be happier on-stage (carefully positioned to catch both the sound from the amp and the body of the acoustic guitar) tonight during Lauzon's set, possibly to be matrixed, after the fact, with aberg83's source.

:o

(Seriously, and for the record[ing] ;) , thanks, guys.)

Aloha,

Brad

i'm dedicating tonights recording to bradm. His spirit will be in my mics this eve.

Your mics are wondering whether they might be happier on-stage (carefully positioned to catch both the sound from the amp and the body of the acoustic guitar) tonight during Lauzon's set' date=' possibly to be matrixed, after the fact, with aberg83's source.

:o

(Seriously, and for the record[ing'] ;) , thanks, guys.)

Aloha,

Brad

That's not a bad idea ... I have another set of mics too.. some Beyer MC930s and AKG 460 actives, but only one pre/recorder, my 702. We'll see what gear shows up and figure something out.

I have a crazy friend that told me it is impossible to sync up two sources of audio that are recorded on 2 separate units. For any matrix you need to run all mics into one recorder. Is he crazy, or just plain ignorant?

It can be done, but it's a lot of work, as you might have to stretch one source (as the clocks of the two sources might run at ever-so-slightly different rates), and you also have to align them really carefully (and programs like ProTools [iIRC] let you shift and align things down to the level of a single sample).

Actually, aberg83 did it with a GTB show: I had my rig on the stage, and he had his in the audience, running into separate recorders. I transferred my source from my JB3 to his JB3 after each set, and he mixed them together using Adobe Audition.

Aloha,

Brad

I have a crazy friend that told me it is impossible to sync up two sources of audio that are recorded on 2 separate units. For any matrix you need to run all mics into one recorder. Is he crazy' date=' or just plain ignorant?[/quote']

It can be done, but it's a lot of work, as you might have to stretch one source (as the clocks of the two sources might run at ever-so-slightly different rates), and you also have to align them really carefully (and programs like ProTools [iIRC] let you shift and align things down to the level of a single sample).

Actually, aberg83 did it with a GTB show: I had my rig on the stage, and he had his in the audience, running into separate recorders. I transferred my source from my JB3 to his JB3 after each set, and he mixed them together using Adobe Audition.

Aloha,

Brad

That recording came out quite nice when matrixed... but we were using the same recorders so it was a little easier to do. We need to get an R-4 or something.

We need to get an R-4 or something.

I saw can-o-phish record Sisters Euclid using a Mac laptop, running (IIRC) ProTools: he had stereo mics (through an M-Audio box? to USB?) into two channels, and a feed from the soundboard, via a small Edirol mixer (which had a digital output; firewire, maybe?) into two others. I also mailed him my aud source. :)

Aloha,

Brad

We need to get an R-4 or something.

I saw can-o-phish record Sisters Euclid using a Mac laptop' date=' running (IIRC) ProTools: he had stereo mics (through an M-Audio box? to USB?) into two channels, and a feed from the soundboard, via a small Edirol mixer (which had a digital output; firewire, maybe?) into two others. I also mailed him my aud source. :)

Aloha,

Brad[/quote']

I bet that came out real nice. I'm trying to slim down how much crap I lug out to shows these days though. Most shows I tape I can never get a board patch either. My rig is strictly 2-ch as a result. Maybe eventually I'll get into the 4-ch world. Brad, what shows are you making the trip down to TO for coming up?