Jambands.ca

The Disco Biscuits

OB1

I am very torn when it comes to the Biscuits.

I love thier jams' date=' which are well crafted and filled with creative textures and energy. I however hate thier songs, which seem to be an afterthought.

Everytime I listen to a live show or see one in person, I seem to get wonderfully lost in the jam only to be rudely awakened by some weak triad, 3 chord tune with barely passable delivery.

It seems their songs and their choices of chordal harmony do not mesh well with their improvisations. The two seem totally separate and not symbiotic at all.

All the same I will see them live anytime to watch them jam, but I cringe everytime they sing a song.

Just my opinion, but does anyone else feel like this?

[/quote']

I can totally see what your saying, they definately are not the best singers, but like every band they have their good and bad nights...from my limited exposer I've heard them sing good and bad... but the jam is where its at in our scene anyways...imo the vocals are never that good for any of our bands in this scene ... no?

I totally agree with you and you are right the jam is where it is at. But more than the vocals themselves, it is the harmony and chord choices they use that seem really inappropriate and basic in comparison to their jams that jarrs me.

Still I loved their playing.

their changes are very abrupt, which is their style and I'm sure what their main fan base enjoys, I'm still getting into them myself...curious to see if things will get smoother with them as they evolve...or if my listening tastes evolve to totally enjoy them the way they are...

The fact that you think the singing (Chorus) seems so seperate from the jam is for me what makes them so interesting. Whether the plan this or not it very different and that what I like. When the come out of some of their epic jams and or melodic noodling and then hit you with a dark off key chant about "Morf", Or Mindless dribble" or whatever, IMO I think is pretty cool. When I first listened to phish I didn't think anything went together and I also thought Trey wasn't the best singer. I understand what you guys are saying but for me thats what I like. I like things obscure. I am not sure if I explined this right or if you just think I will let any band piss in my ears and I will lap it up becaus ethat is not the case. I am fairly critical of bands. And for some reason these guys do it for me.

OB

To add to what I just said: I want something different and interesting. I have been bored for the last few years. Some good shows here and there and some good bands but nothing great. Maybe the ubruptness of their songs is what I like i don't know. I do know that I have been bored.

OB1.. I totally agree with your point of view..

I enjoy the jams that you think are going somewhere totally different.. Sounds semi-chaotic for a second and then... DROP into something sick like Munchkin Invasion, Mindless Dribble, Astronaut, etc..

I love being at shows where I think I hear a song coming, but BAM in my face is a different song. So fun.. And surprising.. A sorta game throughout the show.. Keeps you on your toes!

If you saw them and didn't like them than thats cool. I am glad I didn't stop seeing phish after the first time I saw them. Anyhow everyone has their tastes. I just don't know how many more Dead like jam bands I can see anymore. Same with the Allmans they just don't do it for me anymore. Same old stuff.

If you saw them and didn't like them than thats cool. I am glad I didn't stop seeing phish after the first time I saw them. Anyhow everyone has their tastes. I just don't know how many more Dead like jam bands I can see anymore. Same with the Allmans they just don't do it for me anymore. Same old stuff.

I totally agree. New directions and progressive musivc is where it is at and gets me excited. As I said great jams.