Jambands.ca

Hey, Wha Happened?

Schwa.

facebook is fun. and all these anti-facebook threads lately just make me laugh. do y'all not see the irony in discussing the evils of facebook, on AN INTERNET MESSAGEBOARD??? it is really no different! i can click on each of your little avatar pictures and pull up whatever information you have entered in your profile -- no different than a facebook profile. we chat in these threads -- no different than a group on facebook. people add signatures to their posts -- no different than the status updates.

One difference between Facebook and an intrernet messegeboard is, here (messegeboard) I don't have people from twenty years ago who I wasn't interested in knowing then, and am not interested in knowing now or "reconnecting" with, trying to reach me on an almost daily basis until I either reply to them or outright block them.

Another difference is the serious lack of music.

but please don't try and sell it like you've got stock when i tell you i'm just not interested in joining.

Agreed. The most annoying thing about facebook is the people. 028ws9.gif

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll just say that I studiously avoided contact with people from my past for years but I have been surprised at how much I have enjoyed reconnecting with some of them on facebook. Just the right amount of time has passed, and it's not like people are asking to get together for parties or anything, it's just neat to see those people all grown up (or not) and I think they feel the same about seeing me online. I had tended to think back on all the awkwardness and bitterness of growing up but I have reminded as of late that I had some really good and special times with some of those people, I had just pushed those memories aside.

For me, it's like checking an answering machine.

And yes, in a few years' time something will come along and people will gravitate to it, and then another, and another and so on. Welcome to the modern world.

I think it's fun, more than not. Like others have pointed out, it's entirely up to each user to decide how much info they want to reveal, and then how much of that should be public or simply for approved "friends".

No worries Marc0. I don't have a hate for the site or anything, but when I did join and did the search I found no one on there that I actually associated with or even hung out with in my past. I did find loads of people I never was friends with, close or soicially. Those are the folks who continually try to "reconnect" (as its put) with me, all because we went to the same school at the same time.

But really I was figuring, if it's no different then a messegeboard (as PP put it), then I really have no need for it since I get all the messegeboard'n I need here.

fercrisake kids' date=' go outside and play ball or something. y'all spend was too much time on your facespace thingamajigs.

ride a bike, skip rope, play hopscotch, but get off the compooders! [/quote']

but i have a really nice monitor. it has better resolution than outside.

LOL!

man, I miss your humour Tim! I need MORE of it! Could facebook help me with that? I have studiously avoided the "trap" because I really don't have any more time to offer to the cyberspace overlords who already rule much of my life.

Tell me about it (oh wait, you do a couple of times a day ;) ).

Anyway, the only real use I find facebook offers is that I can rummage through people's photos and they my own. Every once in a while someone out of some distant corner of the past will get in touch, and I've enjoyed these.

In terms of actual (verbal) content, though, what I put here openly tends to end up there as private messages. That in itself keeps my preferences, in terms of how I spend more of my computer time, over here.

All that said, I can't quite recall if I first met Schwa here or in person... no, wait, I think it was at the Lanc, and he was pointed out to me as the guy who just stole my hat :) .

I like facebook :)

Recently I posted a thread here asking if anyone could feed my pets while I'm at Burning Man next week. I got some funny responses, but nothing really helpful: http://www.jambands.ca/sanctuary/showtopic.php?tid/242066/post/465429/

I copied and pasted it as a note on facebook, tagged a few people who live around here in the note, and got several genuine offers to petsit.

Maybe if every single person I knew was on jambands, I would have no use for facebook.

Other things I heart about facebook: Miranda's photoshop contest, when I won a guinea pig photo competition, having a rss feed of my blog import notes so everyone can see my crafts, being facebook invited to events for things that may have been posted on this board but for whatever reason I never clicked on the thread, or events like the new burners info night that I only heard about cuz it showed up in my news feed that one of my friends was attending (who is now on the same flight as us, thanks to facebook) and, like Becky, I also love status updates.

Other things I heart about facebook: Miranda's photoshop contest

Don't even get me started on that one.

Funny yes' date=' absolutely. I have as good of a sense of humour as anyone, but i now have about 200 photoshops (probably not an exaggeration) of me wearing a pink jumper in all sorts of funny poses.

FUCK, i've become Wook18!?!?!?!?!?! ....and i have Facebook to thank.

wonderful.[/quote']

ohmygawd thankyou for the morning laugh! :o :crazy: :)

I haven't been reading the board in detail lately so excuse me if I repeat someone...

I use Facebook..and like it...but only because I'm too busy in real time to stay connected to people not in my day to day life.I'm also not a phone person-like AT ALL.

I don't make friends on Facebook, almost none of my business contacts/acquaintances/etc are on it, and I regularly deny friendships.

I fail to see how someone could make friends on it in any real sense anyway.Your profile just lists facts about you-although it can give a general impression of what you do and like it hardly conveys personality.I think that is really only done in dialogue(atleast in the online world)-which is why it is possible to make friends in a forum such as this where over the course of time what people write,how they say it and what they choose to write about is often very revealing of actual,real life character.

I guess if you read everyone's wall posts all the time you might get a sense of what other people were like but who has time for that?

I've never touched Schwa's hair.Sigh.

Edited by Guest

i had lunch with some of my students yesterday and they told me that facebook has a feature actually called "stalking" whereby you can follow the postings and activities of someone, unbeknownst to them. creepy. why not just have a feature called "rape"?

and fwiw, i dont think i want to touch schwa's hair. ;)

told me that facebook has a feature actually called "stalking" whereby you can follow the postings and activities of someone, unbeknownst to them. creepy

did they happen to offer you some magic beans for sale as well? :)

there is no feature called "stalking" on facebook. the only thing even close to that is the "traktzor" application, but it only works if you AND the other person have it, and it doesn't tell them where you go, it only tells them if you have clicked on their personal traktzor page (which is not their facebook profile, it's a separate icon link thing you have to click on).

schwampy, fwiw, people incessantly insisting i join them is what brought me HERE, and also to frontier town. i was getting pestered so much i finally just gave in and checked it out. and i'm so glad i did! i can understand the overkill line though. that's precisely why i am now ANTI burning man! ;)

*EDIT* schwampy, you should be honoured your picture made it into the photoshop group. hey, maybe it's your karma for making wook18 t-shirts. hahahaha :)

Edited by Guest

Other things I heart about facebook: Miranda's photoshop contest

Don't even get me started on that one.

Funny yes' date=' absolutely. I have as good of a sense of humour as anyone, but i now have about 200 photoshops (probably not an exaggeration) of me wearing a pink jumper in all sorts of funny poses.

FUCK, i've become Wook18!?!?!?!?!?! ....and i have Facebook to thank.

wonderful.[/quote']

oh you loved it!!!!!

I like Facebook.

It has allowed me to reunite with friends I lost track of twenty or more years ago, usually because they moved far away and we lost touch. I'll be seeing one of those friends for the first time in 15 years tonight.

When people who were never my friends send me a "Friend Request", I decline it. It really isn't a big deal.

Of course, the similarities between jambands.ca and facebook.com are many, but Facebook provides the advantage of allowing you to decide who can access your page, whereas this site lacks that. Otherwise, they're pretty similar. I just find Facebook much better for reuniting with long, lost friends; although this site has allowed me to do that a little bit.

It's all the same thing, with advantages and disadvantages. (Of course, no one on Facebook has ever said anything to me that made me need to leave Facebook out of irritation, but that is all part of being able to limit who your "Friends" are, which you just can't do on a message board, other than using the "Ignore" function, which just leaves you curious about what may be being said that you aren't reading.)

I like Facebook. For those who don't, it's easy enough not to type that URL into their computers. Problem solved.