Jambands.ca

WEEN TORONTO - October 26

Basher

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i wouldn't wait TOO long on this one. ween hasn't been to toronto since 2003, and that was a sold out show (it was GA too). i've been hearing a lot of buzz about this show, not just all over the internet, but in many random real life places too. i would be surprised if this one doesn't sell out. (you should still be fine with next week though, prost)

by the way, the highly anticipated new album will be released the tuesday before the show!!!

Good ole Ticketbastard:

tix: $30

per ticket charge: $9

another per ticket charge: $1.25

per order charge: $3.50

two tickets with face of $60, total charge $84.

40% tax is what that is, and then they won't even staff the phones. Their online robot Claire can eat shit.

I'm very close to not buying them just because Ticketbastard pisses me off so much.

ask and ye shall receive!

from the blessed fingers of deaner himself:

Ok, let me first start off by saying that we vowed never, ever, ever, would there be horns on a Ween album. As teenagers we always used that as a yardstick to determine when our favorite band was starting to suck, when their new record came out and it had horns on it (this rule applies only to Rock music and white people). But there has always been one provision to this rule, and that was we would only use horns if we could get David Sanborn to play some sexy saxophone on a Ween tune. We finally wrote a song worthy of him, contacted his manager and it turns out he was a Ween fan and immediately agreed to do it. So that, in and of itself, means that we have accomplished one of our lifelong goals as a band.

As far as the rest of the record goes, we wrote and recorded La Cucaracha in a rented, moldy 200 year old farmhouse in our hometown of New Hope, PA. It is one of the most disgusting places I've ever had the displeasure of working and I'm sure that Gener and Andrew Weiss will back me up on that one. None of us will let our kids go there, I'm not lying to you. Right now I have an upper respiratory infection that was initially spawned by working in our black mold filled "studio". Hell, I wouldn't even let my dog crap in that place. After we move out, I hope a tree falls on it so they have to bulldoze the building to its foundation, although the house is already about to cave in on its own. I also want to make a special point of mentioning that we recorded this record to TAPE, 24 track, 2 inch TAPE. I'm really less than thrilled that most people will probably download 2 tracks from it and listen to it on their iPods. The 13 songs that make up La Cucaracha represent a very small portion of what we wrote and recorded. The real number is about 50 songs. If you hate the album, you should h ear what we left off of it. Hold on a second, I have to spit a greenish black gob of phlegm into the sink.

This is also our first record on the Rounder label and I feel obligated to mention how this came to pass. The guy from Rounder drove down to New Hope from Massachusetts and took us to lunch. We've been on a lot of labels the past 23 years and had a lot of lunches and we've heard a lot of "pitches". After making small talk for the first 20 minutes I finally felt like I should ask him something, anything-- since he drove all the way down here. The only thing I could come up with was "are there any other bands on Rounder comparable to Ween? I mean when I think of Rounder Records I think of all those Thorogood records and mostly folk type stuff." He said "no, not really." We all started laughing and the decision was made in our minds right there that this was where we needed to be. Later that night we watched the Red Sox game at our studio and then he drove back to Boston t he next day. That's the whole story, and now Ween is on Rounder.

Anyway, it's not my job to critique Ween and measure one of our records against another, but I will say that we are super happy with La Cucaracha, we consider it to be a party record, unlike our last record which was more of a Jonestown type party vibe. This record is a lot more fun because that's where we're at right now (I'm getting teary-eyed just typing this). I'm gonna go deal with my tuberculosis now. BY DEAN WEEN

source: http://harpmagazine.com/news/detail.cfm?article=11646

and another little blurb from the news section on ween's website:

We are enjoying that rare vacation between when you complete a record and when you have to begin touring hard to promote it. It has been a long time between studio albums and world tours and we are super excited right now. The album is called "La Cucaracha" and I can now officially announce our signing to Rounder Records, a label I have admired since I was a teenager. The album is great, it's not even open for discussion. I can't wait for you guys to hear it, whatever expectations you have will be met, I guarantee it. It has 13 songs on it and it clocks in at exactly 50 minutes. I really don't want to reveal any more about it before it's release except to say that it was worth waiting for, and we promise not to go 4 years between albums ever again. Thanks for being patient. By the way, the picture of the cockroach above is not the album cover.

source: www.ween.com

Good ole Ticketbastard:

tix: $30

per ticket charge: $9

another per ticket charge: $1.25

per order charge: $3.50

two tickets with face of $60, total charge $84.

40% tax is what that is, and then they won't even staff the phones. Their online robot Claire can eat shit.

I'm very close to not buying them just because Ticketbastard pisses me off so much.

Man, I should buy a bunch from Rotate This and add a nominal Basher tax - it would still only be $35 a piece. ;)

Basher, I'll gladly take two, seriously.

I called ticketbastard and found that the fee was the same over the phone as via internet. Then I asked about buying tickets in person at an outlet. She said the pair would then be $80.50, as that would save the $3.50 ticket processing fee. On principal I hopped on my bike and went to the outlet, where I was told the pair would be either $86 or $88, I forget which (I was at this point fully enraged).

"Why is that?" I says.

"Well, the tickets are $39, plus there's a..."

"Waitaminnit, the tickets aren't $39, they're $30."

"Yes, well, it's $30 plus a $9 convenience fee..."

"But you just made it sound like the band was fucking the fans when in actual fact it's Ticketbastard that's fucking us over."

"I'm sorry sir but..."

"Listen, if you're going to charge a fucking 30% fucking fee before you even start adding your criminal fucking service charges then don't fucking tell people that it's a $39 ticket when it's actually your own arbitrary fee..."

Well, you can see how it went. I walked out without tickets.

I don't know why it pisses me off so much this time. I mean I've given thousands of dollars to Ticketbastard over the years.

Whatever. If there's tickets available at the door I'll drive down for the show. If not, well, fuckit.