Jambands.ca

Just another tower

AD

you're both right, although there would have been debate about the world's tallest building, not free-standing structure. some definitions of 'buildings' don't agree with each other.

taipei 101 will be the world's tallest (inhabited) building until the burj dubai is completed. the CN tower is now the 2nd tallest freestanding structure.

Dubai is going to be an excellent excellent city for rich people to go and spend their money. And the rich people that run the city are just going to get richer and richer and richer...

I may try and go get a job there...*fingers crossed*

Back on the CN Tower, are you sure that Taipei 101 is taller than it? Because according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_the_world

it says that the CN tower is taller, but the tallest anything is this thing in Fargo...

Back on the CN Tower, are you sure that Taipei 101 is taller than it? Because according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_the_world

it says that the CN tower is taller, but the tallest anything is this thing in Fargo...

Tallest TV Mast - Fargo

Tallest Freestanding Structure - CN Tower

Tallest Building - Taipei 101

Your original post talked about a debate over the tallest building, and Taipei 101 seems to be that, given the debate over the definitions also highlighted on the page you linked.

not sure if anyone has noticed this before, but doesn't the CN Tower look like a giant dick?

There's a hilarious bit by The Frantics about this: a radio interviewer talks to the architect who designed the tower:

(This is taken from memory, and leaves out a bunch of stuff, I'm sure.)

Interviewer: What was your inspiration for the tower?

Architect: A big dick.

Interviewer: What?

Architect: Yeah, a schlong so big even Rochester would get off on it.

Interviewer: What about the revolving restaurant?

Architect: They go around, and around, eating, and tasting, just around the rim...

(The architect is sounding more and more aroused...)

Interviewer: Well...

Architect: I wanted to call it The Semen Tower, but...they...wouldn't...let me...!!!

Interviewer: Want a cigarette?

Architect: Thanks.

Aloha,

Brad

Why was the CN Tower built?

From

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cn_tower#History

The concept of the CN Tower originated from a 1968 Canadian National Railway desire to build a large TV and radio communication platform to serve the Toronto area, as well as demonstrating the strength of Canadian industry, and CN in particular.

At the time, Toronto was a "boom town" and the late 1960s and early 1970s had seen the construction of numerous large skyscrapers in the downtown core. This made broadcasting into the downtown area very difficult due to reflections off the buildings. The only solution would be to raise the antennas above the buildings, demanding a tower over 300 metres (984 ft) tall. Additionally, at that time most data communications took place over point-to-point microwave links, whose dish antennae used to cover the roofs of large buildings. As each new skyscraper was added to the downtown, former line-of-sight links were no longer possible. CN intended to rent "hub" space for microwave links, visible from almost any building in the Toronto area.

Aloha,

Brad

not sure if anyone has noticed this before' date=' but doesn't the CN Tower look like a giant dick? [/quote']

I think it looks like a giant mushroom. I also think the Freemasons had a go at the grounds and they have secret ceremonies there all the time... but don't mind me.. I'm slowly losing my mind.

I think it was Lorne Elliot who said it looked like a joined-up combination of a giant Juno Award and a Tim Horton's donut. (He also thought it should be turned into condos; the big selling point would be that they'd be the only condos in Toronto that could not have a view of the CN Tower...)

Aloha,

Brad

I have a friend that lives in Dubai...she's been there a few years...the stories she tells about living in that society are truly frightening.

Details!

Nothing salacious...just the way women are treated there is pretty apalling. She got arrested once for something completely ludicrous...something she said or something she was wearing...her boyfriend was with her, so she didn't end up spending a bunch of time in jail. Evidently, if he hadn't been with her, she would have been completely out of luck, even though she hadn't really done anything wrong.

(He also thought it should be turned into condos; the big selling point would be that they'd be the only condos in Toronto that could not have a view of the CN Tower...)

Except for the inside of it.

True' date=' but his view is that the [i']outside of it is incredibly ugly.

Aloha,

Brad