Jambands.ca

My Brunettes Review

mister slippery

tried posting this before, but the post disappeared, so here we go again.

[blurb]

Having won tickets from www.jambands.ca, through www.livenation.com, it became apparent that jangly pop music would be the order of business for the evening of September 28th. Since it was a Friday, I figured a few pre-show drinks would treat me just fine. And fine i was, if one defines "fine" as a bit slurry and lopsided, yet mostly upright. I arrived at the venue about 10 minutes before the first of 2 opening bands went on, Toronto's own Forest City Lovers.

www.myspace.com/forestcitylovers

[/blurb]

This is where I found the first difficulty in the pre-game consumtionness. I thought FCLovers were awesome, but I have no idea why. I don't remember much of their set, just that I loved it, and will see them again when possible. Two things I do remember, though, were that "Castles" was wonderfully played, and that their xylophone/marimba player was really good.

Second band, reality settled in, and I went out to get some air on Queen Street. Sorry, second band, people inside said you were great, but this shoddy reviewer doesnt even know your name, let alone what you sounded like. (jeez, i'm not an author here, i just won some free tickets.)

By this point, UFProductions and Large Marge had arrived, and so we all headed back into the Horseshoe, myself having sobered up pretty well.

I hadnt experienced the Brunettes before, and was wondering if they would play live as a duo, or whether there would be a full band. The latter was the given result, and we were treated to a solid set, by a band that I'm certain Brian Wilson would love, loaded with beautiful harmonies and quirky, good-time pop melodies. What did they play? Well, I didn't get a setlist, but can report that after a mid-tempo opener, they went into "Brunettes vs. Bubblegum Youth", the album opener and my highlight. Picture a crossbreed of the BeachBoys/PolyphonicSpree/MyBloodyValentine, and that's kinda what this jam was like live. Plus, they had synchronized dance moves, which looked remarkably similar to YMCA, except to spell out

B-A-B-Y. Who doesnt like synchronized dance moves at a rock show? I know at least one Skanc was using their arms to spell along.

"Stereo Mono Mono", "Obligatory Road Song" and, um, the song about Aliens, cant remember the name, but, all were highlights. I will admit, my energy did wane a bit during a couple of the slower tunes, but that's what happens when you try to sober up during a show, you tend to get a bit lethargic.

So, yeah, good thing I'm not being paid to review this, or I'm sure I'd be fired. Great show, all in all. I'm curious as to what the second band was all about, but, oh well, one can't have everything. I had a blast, and will definitely go and see the Brunettes again, when next they visit.

This has been my .02

mister slippery

"Second band, reality settled in, and I went out to get some air on Queen Street. Sorry, second band, people inside said you were great, but this shoddy reviewer doesnt even know your name, let alone what you sounded like. (jeez, i'm not an author here, i just won some free tickets.)"

Don't know why but thats my favorate thing I have read on here in like ages. :)

I like forestcitylovers.