Jambands.ca

Christmas comes early: new Radiohead album available today

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

Today is the day that Radiohead have 'leaked' their new album In Rainbows.

They ensured tight control over the final product so that there would be no unofficial leaks, and today made the album available on their website on a 'pay what you can/want' basis. I paid a very fair sum on the pre-order, and this morning before I headed out to work I downloaded it to my Zen.

Christmas came early today as the album is very strong, and has a distinct Radiohead flavour. I might write a review for it if I ever find the time. Quickly I will mention that they have focussed a lot on orchestration on this album, possibly stemming from Jonny's work with the BBC Philharmonic Orchestra. The album has a very mature sound, with violin arrangements present in a lot of songs. There are a lot less effects than on previous albums.

This album may appeal to the old fans that were frightened off by the Kid A stuff.

Guest Low Roller

Radiohead have said that they will not announce how many people downloaded the album, nor how much people paid (or not) on average.

Their last three albums have topped the charts, but this one will not make a blip on the charts because there will be no official figures.

Radiohead have said that they will not announce how many people downloaded the album, nor how much people paid (or not) on average.

Well that's one way to cover up failure. I can't believe that if this was a roaring success they wouldn't trumpet the numbers. I hope the sales info does come out because I'm very interested to see how this model works.

Homer: Eh, what do you mean by `suggested donation'?

Clerk: Pay any amount you wish, sir.

Homer: And uh, what if I wish to pay ... zero?

Clerk: That is up to you.

Homer: Ooh, so it's up to me, is it?

Clerk: Yes.

Homer: I see. And you think that people are going to pay

you $4.50 even though they don't have to?

Just out of the goodness of their... [laughs]

Well, anything you say! Good luck, lady, you're gonna need it!