Jambands.ca

Go Vote!!

slavetothegroove

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

About 4 years ago during an election I watched as people "registered" at the polling station and didn't even SHOW id. Ridiculous. If you see any of the election people NOT demanding id from people SPEAK UP. They are getting paid to do their job.

Speak up and say what, though? They were doing their jobs - you don't need ID to vote. You can swear an oath, which I did earlier today.

And you certainly don't need photo ID, which is one of many reasons that everyone who got so up in arms about the veil thing were chasing the wrong issue.

is that dude waiting for a bus?

fwiw, i voted green and for mmv.

in guelph, the results are around

Libs: 41%

Cons: 24%

Green: 20%

NDP: 14%

MMV: 45%

i think only Bruce-Grey-Owen Sound had a higher Green vote at 33%. provincially, they picked up about 8% overall with more than 10% in southwestern and central regions. pretty good considering they had less than 3% provincially in 2003.

Ontario voter turnout a record low

Last Updated: Thursday, October 11, 2007 | 6:55 AM ET

CBC News

The percentage of eligible voters casting ballots in Wednesday's Ontario election hit an all-time low despite changes introduced in an effort to boost turnout.

Only 52.6 per cent of eligible voters cast a ballot, or 4.4 million of 8.4 million possible voters, according to numbers released by Elections Ontario at 6:30 a.m. ET Thursday, when 99.8 per cent of polls had been counted.

The turnout was worse than a previous record low of 54.7 per cent set in 1923. It also fell below the 2003 voter turnout of 56.9 per cent.

Legislation introduced by the previous Liberal government since the 2003 election to boost declining turnout in recent elections did not seem to have the desired effect.

Those changes included:

* Setting a fixed election date.

* Extending the hours and number of days of advanced voting.

* Boosting the number of polling stations.

* Extending polling by one hour on election day.

However, there was a significant gain in voting at advance polls. Elections Ontario reported that 451,949 electors voted at the advance polls this year, up from 356,396 in 2003.

NDP for Riverdale, Peter "Tight Buns" Tabuns, won again - he actually called me last night looking for my wife. I told him he was going to win and I voted for him (my wife's a registered NDP member... ya, I know). However, the NDPers ate lots of humble pie yesterday. It didn't help seeing all those images of Howard Hampton looking like a sweaty fevered ranting lunatic throughout the campaign.

Edited by Guest

February holiday will happen in 2008, McGuinty says in post-election press conference

October 11, 2007

The Hamilton Spectator

People in Ontario are getting an extra holiday after re-electing the Liberals for a second straight majority.

Premier Dalton McGuinty says the party will follow through on its promise to create Family Day on the third Monday in February starting next year.

In a post-election news conference today, he also promised to continue to improve the quality of public education.

The Tories are widely believed to have lost yesterday’s vote due to a proposal to fully fund religious-based schools.

The Conservatives won only 26 of 107 ridings and leader John Tory lost in his own Toronto riding.

Premier Dalton McGuinty says the party will follow through on its promise to create Family Day on the third Monday in February starting next year.

First I've heard of this. Can't say I followed the campaign that closely... was this a major selling points for the Libs? And if not, why not? Seems like an easy sell in today's soundbite politics.

I don't consider "Family day" a deciding factor, but I'll take it. I firmly believe there should be one long weekend every month. Actually I think we should just have a 4 day workweek, but all the workaholics on this continent probably disagree... I can almost guarantee the same amount of work will get done in a 4 day week as a 5 day--- it will just have to be done 20% more efficiently :-)

[color:purple]but, what constitutes a family? will same-sex couples be required to work if Tory gets in in 2011? how about women who cannot naturally conceive?

Kudos, Dalton. I'll take it, but the name is pretty lame. I think he should have just called it Can't be Bothered to Haul My Sorry Ass Out of Bed on a Cold (albiet increasingly warmer) Winter's Day Day.