Jambands.ca

What are you reading right now?

Birdy

Just wondering what everyone's been reading these days... i'm on the hunt for some good books!

I'm currently reading "Three cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin, a true story of American mountaineer/humanitarian Greg Mortenson who heads over to the northern region of Pakistan to climb K2 but fails due to oxygen deprivation and all of the terrible things that go hand in hand with that... miraculously he's able to descend the mountain and stumbles barely alive into a tiny little settlement where he is taken in and nursed back to health by the local villagers. Moved by their kindness, he vows to come back to them and build them a school. I haven't finished the book but basically it's the story of all of his trials and tribulations as he learns of his humanitarian calling and goes on to co-found one of the largest not-for-profit aid organizations in Pakistan and builds over 55 schools. I highly recommend the book to all... it's very heart warming to read about all of his goodness.

What are you reading?

I've had The Hard SF Renaissance on the go for (at least) several months now. It's an almost 1000-page anthology of recent well-written hard science fiction, and has so much stuff in it that getting through it is almost a long-term project rather than a simple reading. I think I have a biography of Spike Milligan waiting in the wings, along with Medea: Harlan's World.

Aloha,

Brad

Birdy, Do you like Phil? Want to read his book? He's got some pretty wild sentences in there!

the tao of willie- a bit hokey but fun

Agreed. I went the book on cd route though. Great for the car.

"So are you ever going to retire?" I asked.

“All I do is play music and golf," he said with a wicked smile. "Which one do you want me to give up?"

Birdy, Do you like Phil? Want to read his book? He's got some pretty wild sentences in there!

Yep, i'll read the Phil book... can you lend it to me?

Another really good one I just finished was 'the Kite Runner'. What a fantastic book that was! A kid coming of age in Afghanistan before the Soviets rolled into town, struggling with concepts of class and different denominations of Islam and what it meant to be priveledged... then forced to flea and seek refugee status in Pakistan and then America and start his life anew... and then years down the road return to Afghanistan finding it under Taliban rule, utterly destroyed and forced to face the demons of his past... soooooooo good! I read that one in a record seven hours!