Jambands.ca

What are you reading right now?

Birdy

I'm reading Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand again. This book is very intense to read and might make you despise almost everyone around you, but it's still a good read, very motivating. I can see why Ayn killed herself, she was alone at the top. She really had some interesting philosophies, but just like any other school of thought, it is essential to be objective about it.....tee hee!

I'm reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkin.

Me' date=' too.

For the second time.

Except the one I'm reading is by Richard Dawkins.

[/quote']

I listened to the audiobook of "the God Delusion" read by Richard Dawkins and enjoyed it immensely.

I'm now on to "The Art of the Commonplace," a collection of essays by Wendell Berry. I heard about Wendell through Michael Pollan's book "the Omnivore's Dilemma," and have since read some of his writings and heard him speak.

He is a strong spokesman for non-industrial farming...one of his best quotes is in reference to industrial monocrop farming. He states that "...industrial farming has taken an elegant solution and divided it neatly into two problems."

Reread a whole slew of Ian Rankin books when my brains were addled from self poisoning at the beginning of the week.

Book club read this month was As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner.

Just started Effigy by Alissa York(nominated for a Giller this fall I believe).

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid is on deck.

do you like faulkner? i just can't get into him

I didn't enjoy reading it.It's the sort of book I would have been reverential about in my undergrad(read pretentious literary theory) days...but now I just found it onerous.I likely wouldn't even have finished if I wasn't compelled to read books that I think are "good" for me AND it was the first book my new book club group had decided upon.

I think the book was actually chosen intentionally as a sort of survival of the fittest test.

do you like faulkner? i just can't get into him

I didn't enjoy reading it.It's the sort of book I would have been reverential about in my undergrad(read pretentious literary theory) days...but now I just found it onerous.I likely wouldn't even have finished if I wasn't compelled to read books that I think are "good" for me AND it was the first book my new book club group had decided upon.

I think the book was actually chosen intentionally as a sort of survival of the fittest test.

I also have a hard time with Faulkner. I know he's "brilliant" and everything, but that doesn't necessarily make him readable or enjoyable.

Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

How'd you like it? Mud just finished it and had a hard time getting through it - though she did say there were some parts she really enjoyed.

I just finished To Live's to Fly: The Ballad of the Late, Great Townes Van Zandt by John Kruth - great read!