Jambands.ca

Trey with Phil tonight!!

Kanada Kev

I don't know the setlist yet, but he was supposed to be playing with him at Glens Falls tonight:

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/10/20/news/latest/doc471a4e3ac0381188574927.txt

Trey Anastasio coming to Civic Center tonight

Updated: Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:05 PM EDT

Officials at the Civic Center revealed that former Phish frontman Trey Anastasio will be the special guest at tonight's Phil Lesh and Friends concert.

Anastasio has both toured and played with Lesh on several occasions, including a 2006 show at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center. Earlier this year, Anastasio was a surprise guest at a Dave Matthews Band show on Aug 14 at SPAC.

Set I

Alambama Getaway

Pride of Cucamonga

Friend of the Devil

Deep Elem Blues

Deal

Bertha

----

Oh how I wish I was there! Some of the best Phil I've ever seen has been in "Upstate" New York, and we just might have a doozie on our hands here. I'm betting that Sober Trey has some serious steam to blow off (and not in the Coventry "Glide" sense), and I can't wait to hear this one.

set I:

Alambama Getaway

Pride of Cucamonga

Friend of the Devil

Deep Elem Blues

Deal

Bertha

set II:

Shine

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues ->

Cumberland Blues ->

Viola Lee Blues

Plasma

Unbroken Chain

Dark Star ->

Wharf Rat ->

Dark Star ->

Help On The Way ->

Slipknot ->

Franklin's Tower

Encore:

Box of Rain

entire show with Trey!

wiping drool off keyboard.........

(gee, what a crappy show, like don't they know any other songs? they like played the same songs more than once. what's wrong with these guys?)

Who's running to Syracuse tomorrow! I'm sure it'll be a hotter ticket than ever now.

They had a pair on eBay the other day, 5th row center for face :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Phil-Lesh-and-Friends-Tickets-10-21-07-Syracuse-FRONT_W0QQitemZ320171653572QQihZ011QQcategoryZ16122QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

would there really be a point? i think that it would juts be a letdown after last night. :)

I don't know, i'd be happy to catch any of the remaining shows on this tour. While Trey sitting in is a definite treat, it's by no means the end of the tour :D

http://drewbkerr.blogspot.com/2007/10/lesh-anastasio-provide-night-to.html

Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lesh, Anastasio provide a night to remember

The ticket stubs, the pre-concert advertisements and the marquee flashing outside the Glens Falls Civic Center all agreed: Saturday night’s concert belonged to Phil Lesh.

But as much credit as the former Grateful Dead bassist deserves for the evening’s success, this show was all about Trey Anastasio.

Anastasio, who fronted for Phish until the jam band’s 2004 breakup, was pronounced as a “special guest†early Saturday morning. But the moniker quickly showed it’s irrelevancy as the red-bearded guitarist settled into his position at stage front – noticeably centered with his microphone a few paces ahead of all else.

His presence never dissipated through over three hours of improvisational harmony and his guitar solos were the cornerstones of many an improvised ballad.

It can’t be said that Anastasio’s appearance was a complete surprise.

The 42-year-old has been something of an enigmatic character locally since a tumble with Whitehall Police in December 2006. Known as Ernest J. Anasatasio in the Washington County court system, the former front man was ordered to attend drug court after admitting he had a trove of prescription painkillers when pulled over.

As part of the drug court program, he was required to live in the area for at least three months.

Consider this his coming out party.

And what a party it was.

The Vermont native acted as if he’d had nothing to do since settling across the border in the Empire State.

He hit all the right notes and then added a few more during a nearly one-hour first set that featured Dead classics, “Friend of the Devil,†“Deep Elem Blues†and a raucous version of “Bertha.â€

In the latter song there was, for Anastasio, a certain emphasis on the line “Test me, test me, why don’t you arrest me?â€

The quip was not lost on the crowd – a motley amalgam of dreadlocks, loose ankle-length skirts and more than a few tie-dyed shirts that sufficiently distracted the arena’s security guards from the on-stage antics.

After a perhaps-too-long 40-minute interim the five members of Phil Lesh and Friends – yes they were there too – returned for two more hours of seamless jams.

And though it may have been Trey’s night the material was not.

“The Cumberland Blues,†“Wharf Rat,†and a nearly 15-minute version of “Help on the Way†were clear reminders that this performance was still very much indebted to the Dead.

The inimitable set provided a chance for Lesh’s friends – as in “Phil Lesh & Friends†– who are accompanying him on his latest 30-date tour to showcase their merits.

Jackie Greene, a 26-year-old California who hooked up with Lesh on a relative lark, appeared sick – grabbing tissues constantly and disappearing at inopportune moments. But he still managed to display the promise Lesh, 40 years his senior, saw in him.

Larry Campbell, best known for his recent work with Bob Dylan, also proved his resume is robust for a reason, offering healthy doses of vocals, violin accompaniment and guitar. I left wondering why he’s not more of a household name.

Meanwhile, drummer John Molo did enough to maintain his seat at the table and Steve Molitz provided an intriguing bit of synthesized sound from behind the keyboards, giving the classics a uniquely modern appeal.

It’s certain Lesh’s constant shuffling of venerable artists such as these that helps him maintain his show’s vibrancy. The constant reinvention of his music – while not losing sight of what made it popular in the first place – is what makes his show something to see.

In an interview with the Post-Star this week, Lesh described his shows in metaphysical terms.

And though I can’t speak for the rest of those in attendance, I certainly went on one hell of a musical journey.

Posted by DrewBKerr at 12:36 AM

I liked this little lyrical analysis somebody did

Annotations from a post on philzone

I.Alambama Getaway (Heard your plea in the courthouse. Jurybox began to rock and rise)

Pride of Cucamonga (and i done some time, and i done some time)

Friend of the Devil (sheriffs on my trail....spend my life in jail)

Deep Elem Blues (Have that ten dollars ready when the policeman comes)

Deal (I hate to leave you sittin there composin lonesome blues)

Bird Song

Bertha (test me test me, why dont you arrest me)

II ??

Viola Lee Blues> (the judge decreed it, the clerk he wrote it)

Cumberland Blues> (I cant help you with your troubles, if you cant help with mine)

Viola Lee Blues> (some got 6 months some got one solid, but me and my buddies all got lifetime here )

Cumberland Blues> (Some other fellow making nothing at all And you can hear him cryin)

Viola Lee Blues (you may know by that I've got a friend somewhere)

Plasma

Unbroken Chain (Roll you down the line boy, drop you for a loss, Ride you out on a cold railroad and nail you to a cross.)

Dark Star>

Wharf Rat> (Half of my life, I spent doin' time, for some other fucker's crime)

Dark Star>

Help on the Way> (I will pay day by day, anyway, Lock, bolt and key)

Slipknot!>

Franklin's Tower

Encore:

Box of Rain (A a box of rain will ease the pain and love will see you through)

In the latter song there was, for Anastasio, a certain emphasis on the line “Test me, test me, why don’t you arrest me?â€

The quip was not lost on the crowd – a motley amalgam of dreadlocks, loose ankle-length skirts and more than a few tie-dyed shirts that sufficiently distracted the arena’s security guards from the on-stage antics.

Wow....how neat, that's never been done before.