Jambands.ca

oink.cd busted

bouche

That's never how they'd track you down anyway. It'd be based on IP address. If the OiNK servers were tracking that sort of thing which is likely, they could look up the IP address and ask your ISP which house was getting that address.

Yep. I do realize that, but they would then have to then prove it was actually me who downloaded the 2.1 GB, the fake name and email (unique to OiNK only) only make that a bit more difficult.

Regardless, I'm not at all heartbroken over any of this, nor am I remotely concerned about any fall out on me.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if they go after everyone who used the tracker they'd be looking at hundreds of thousands of court cases... taking until about a couple of hundred years to prosecute

more likely looking for people who acquired things free then packaged and sold them for profit through a website... or the top hundred uploaders or something like that

they way I see the world it'll simply be a kiss and tell type investigation, stories that end up in the tabloids (netting the tabloids mega-thousands)... "and notable Wall Street executive, Billy Big Bucks, was found to have downloaded the entire Shania Twain collection along with The Bee Gee's greatest hits and Martha Stewart's Cooking with the Stars. Mr. Big Bucks attorneys denied comment upon these allegations."

The comments in this interview have made me realize that they don't know what they arrested the guy for.

They keep saying how people upload music to the website and people 180,000 people pay to download from the website.

The site is nothing more than a tracker helping to connect people with bits of files on their own machines. This is not a crime by one guy.

Picture3.jpg

I had already bought several albums I downloaded. I had a lot of stuff to replace after having cd's stolen from me or having cd's scratched to shit at parties and so on. Other stuff I bought after I had downloaded. No, I didn't buy Kanye West's new album but Immaculate Machine, Wayne Petti and independent artists I supported after hearing their albums off of the site.

Does anyone really think Mick Jagger gives a shit about me downloading Stones bootlegs? Should Wilco give a crap if I hear their album three weeks before it hits stores? It's so stupid. I downloaded Drive-By Trucker's "Blessing and a Curse" before it came out but I also bought three fucking copies the day it CAME out. I owe the music industry nothing. Overpriced concert tickets, overpriced merchandise it's all money money money!!! Oh the POOR record companies! Old men who can't figure out a way to make the industry change for the first time in 50 years!

and that's what really grinds my gears!

over on the indie boards people are saying Soulseek is the way to go if you get music download withdrawl... software thats much like Napster, slower than torrents but lots of selection to choose from (never used it myself, just passing it along)

guess Indietorrents pulled the plug themselves, homepage says "Home of the Independent (picture of rainclowd). What the fuck is a Torrent anyways?"

on Oink mostly scored things I'd previously bought or things I was curious about and wouldn't have shelled out cash for (but might buy in the future, though some others am very glad I didn't throw away my money on)

[ifpi] my burned cd collection is 99% plus free to trade live shows ok'd by the artist [/ifpi]

no guilt, if anything not being able to sample music as freely as I could would say I'll likely spend less purchasing store bought CDs in the future

http://torrentfreak.com/why_are_the_ifpi_and_bpi_allowed_071024/

Why Are The IFPI and BPI Allowed To Hijack OiNK?

Written by Ben Jones on October 24, 2007

As you have read here already, a joint team of Dutch and British law enforcement were involved in ‘Operation Ark Royal’, to take down the music torrent site Oink. This action however, has brought lots of questions, with very few answers. Questions such as “Why Are The IFPI and BPI Allowed To Hijack OiNK?â€

The British and Dutch Pirate Parties have issued a joint statement (English/Dutch) condemning the actions as retaliatory, and questioning the ethics of choreographing it, and letting representatives of the victims participate in the investigation. How many times do they let the father of a murder victim work on the investigation of the Murder?

They also condemn the police forces for allowing the presumption of innocence to be discarded, in that the domain of the website, has been effectively hijacked, and replaced by a page insinuating guilt on the part of the site owner. The ‘Presumption of Innocence’, better known as “innocent until proven guilty†is a cornerstone of law both in the Netherlands and UK. Surely, if anyone should have put a temporary website under the Oink domain, then it should have been the Cleveland police, or the Dutch police, not the record label owners union.

This violation of what should be standard practices brings into question the ethics and procedures of the forces involved. Cleveland police have yet to respond to inquiries, however.

Of further interest is the apparent investigation on the Dutch side by the Investigation Service of the Tax and Customs Administration (or FIOD-ECD for short). This would appear to be in relation to the claimed monies that were paid by users for access to the site, which are known to us here at TorrentFreak as “voluntary donationsâ€, but then we do our homework. The question does come to be how these criminal investigation groups manage to execute these raids, without first having done any investigation; undoubtedly heads will roll.

Timing is another interesting aspect to this case. Reportedly, the IFPI are upset that the Pirate Bay has acquired ifpi.com. However, it’s a domain they’ve not had control of (at least according to archive.org) since early this year at the latest, and so it’s hard to see how they will be able to have anything done about it, legally. Could this raid then be a retaliatory action on their part, targeting another site rather than the Pirate Bay, who are/were probably expecting some sort of backlash like this?

Whilst claims in the various press releases (BPI, IFPI, Cleveland police) all state that the site was notorious for pre-release music, it’s also relevant to consider the source of that music. According to a 2003 study by AT+T labs into the movie industry, the majority of early releases came from insiders, and its unlikely that the music industry is any different. Indeed, according to ‘apathy’, a moderator at music site Economy of Sound, several pre-releases have come from the record companies direct, where they have had the view that “you just cannot buy that kind of publicity.†Claims that pre-releases hurt sales are also not found to be based in fact, the Meshuggah album “Nothing†was leaked onto the internet, and became their best-seller.

However, perhaps the biggest thing to remember is that private sites store information. Thats how they work, and there is always some saved, in order to run ratios etc. In the end, we’re right back to the question, “Are Private Torrent Sites Safe†and it would appear that they are becoming less so as time goes on, irrespective of the law.

for altenatives i would reccomend a little program called BitChe. it can be found at:

http://www.download.com/Bit-Che/3000-2166_4-10543409.html

it's like google for torrent streams. the only time i've had ANY touble with downloads has been with BitTorrent(ext) sources. other than that , this little app. has worked amazingly for me.

peace

-killa-

So, here’s a list of sites to use instead of OiNK.

Aka “what to use instead of pinkâ€.

audionews.ru (Music production)

blackflowermusic.com

btbeat.com

bt.etree.org

btmusic.org

chronictracker.com

deepbassnine.com

dimeadozen.org

djiq.org

filemp3.org

funkytorrents.com

indietorrents.com

kerrazy-torrents.net

libble.com

metal-torrents.com

onemoresolo.net

pj.sidewalkcrusaders.com (Pearl Jam)

punkhc.dyndns.org

punktorrents.com

purelivegigs.com

smithstorrents.co.uk (The Smiths/Morrissey)

stmusic.org

thecellar.afraid.org

themixingbowl.org

thetradersden.org

torrentazos.com

tracker.twee.se

trancetraffic.com

zombtracker.the-zomb.com

exigomusic.org

vipmusic.org

modetrance.com

tranceroute.com

softmp3.org

punkoiska.com

metalbits.org

tracker.gunsnroses.us (Guns ‘n’ Roses)

mullemeck.serveftp.org/jps_beta/ (Japanese/Asian)

nipponsei.minglong.org (Anime OSTs)

tracker.shoegaze.lt/ (Shoegaze, Dreampop)

puretrance.org (Trance)

tracker.jpopsuki.com (J-pop)

zonebits.net (Primarily Danish music)

komodoisland.net

tracker.shoegaze.lt (Shoegaze, indie, post-rock)

proaudiotorrents.org (pretty self-explanatory)

u2torrents.com (U2)

and don’t forget:

thepiratebay.org

mininova.org

meganova.org

suprnova.org

isohunt.com

torrentspy.com

torrentz.com

Waffleswaffleswaffles and jam! Wondering about all the waffle talk? So do we.

But piracy is waffles of the 21st century.

KK that is sooo LONG and very impressive. It should be interesting on how this pans out. I feel sorry for the moderators. They ran a great cite and when ever I had a question someone was around with an answer.

*So whats a Canadian tire dollar anyways

**Tell me there are'nt people that think 1000 canadian dollars = 10 american dollars. Tell me that was a joke it would make me feel better (ha ha).

• 2 weeks later...