Jambands.ca

US Foreign Policy (excluding Iraq)

Biggest Fan

Of the many issues that could be brought up in this thread the one that has got me 'urked' at the present time is how we deal with Turkey. I'm not sure if anyone else really cares but the whole situauion drives me a little crazy. Among the many issues I find it a little funny how we do not support them in their efforts in dealing with their terrorism issue. Its almost comical in that we feel that they should use 'restraint' but really do not offer any explanations as to why this is the case. I know one thing if we had this problem with our border to the North... GWB would not be having it(HA HA). If there was ever a country we should do everything to 'embrace' in my opinion it should be Turkey.

*Disclaimer-I know at times it seems like I'm 'trolling' for a fight but I really enjoy reading the opinions of the people on this board. There are not many (any) places I can go to engauge in this type of chat and the 'feedback' helps me (challenges) expand my world view. * I know that sounded real 'corny' but what the h@ll.

As far a Turkey the situation seems to be an amazing (-n- ironic) manifestation of what seems to be going on throughout the world. *I also have a soft spot for Turkey in that it is where my wife and I went on our honeymoon. If your going to go overseas once (at this point) in your life It and the People are amazing.

My second issue is with whats going on in Israel and the occupied territories. I was against their harsh stance in the form of 'collective punishment' (holding up money, threatening to limit electricity, etc.) but it seems to be working. There does'nt seem to have been any major flare ups since they put the policy in place. The old saying the 'ends don't justify...' but if it is working well then... I for one thought this approach would'nt work but...

Turkey's one place I wish I knew more about, both historically (especially the great big arc of the Ottoman Empire ending in collapse and modernisation through the 1920s) and currently (their bid for entry into Europe particularly). I don't know how this business with Iraq will affect either its secularity or its standing with the West; it may in the end be just so much sabre-rattling.

I'll also confess to being out of my depth in terms of what's going on in Gaza presently; it seems to be getting less coverage - or maybe I'm just paying less attention, I don't know - than other things that have unfolded there recently. I'd have thought the strike on Syria would have had more serious repercussions than it did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm assuming that 'you all' have been following whats been coming out of GWB during his MidEast trip. I reaaly like what he was saying with what Israel needs to do to help bring about the Peace process. (Sorry I do not have the link) Three of the things that caught my eye was that 1 Israel needs to go ahead and do what it needs to do regaurdless of what going on with the 'other guys'. 2 and 3 He stated that 'Palestine' should not look like 'swiss cheese'/ illegal settlements need to be a major focus. My questions are: 1 Why now??? Is he on target with his ideas. As far as myselg I cannot fiure 'for the life of me' why now. As far as number 2 I thought for the most part he was on target.

how can israel go ahead and do what it needs to do regardless of the other guys? what they "need to do" has tremendous impact on the other guys. this sounds like bush is suggesting israel adopt an american strategy to just do what it wants and screw everyone else.

my take on bush's recent ramblings is that he figures its easy to "bring peace to the middle east" and in doing so, he will save his horrendous legacy. he's as naive when it comes to foreign affairs as he has been at running his own country. and like Dr. Phil, he should just stay out of other people's business.

7 years into his presidency and this is his FIRST visit to Israel?

This tour of the Middle East is simply a way to spin that he really "cares" and wants to bring change. Nice way to attempt to salvage some sort of reputation as not being a complete bufoon as his legacy. He's also kissing some major Saudi asses like his father. Where do you think his bread and butter are coming from after he's out of office? Oil!

He'll be able to come back and say "Hey, I went to see the A-rabs and talked to Israel. I want peace. Too bad they didn't listen. Now let's go invade Iran/Jordan/Syria."

They just need an excuse to keep a massive military presence in the area in order to ensure their "control" over the oil flow.

On your initial question regarding the US position on Turkey.

From my understanding, the US is looking for a soft approach from Turkey on their civil unrest because of its consequences on the Iraqi stability.

The focus of Turkish unrest is between the Kurds and the rest of the country. The Kurds are concentrated in the SE of Turkey on the N border of Iraq. Borders in the middle east are quite arbitrary (more so than anywhere else, I don't know) and have often split tribal delineations.

The Kurds have played a powerful role in Iraq as they have been relatively friendly to the Iraqi restructuring. They were routinely subdued and terrorized by the Saddam regime, so they have a lot to gain with the new system.

Despite residing in Iraq, they have much more culturally in common with the Kurds of Turkey than any other population in Iraq. So, Turkey coming down hard on the Kurds across the border pisses off the Kurds in Iraq. Since angry Iraqi Kurds could further jeopardize the Iraqi security, the US doesn't want Turkey to pound too hard on their Kurds.

I'm sure there are many nuances missed in my take on things, but I don't really study the area.

Much like DEM - I would be very interested in learning more about the history of the area.

• 2 months later...

I'm doing my thing for recycling (ha ha). I think Iran for many reasons is one of the most important countries in the world at this point. I'm not a hawk in how we the USA should deal with them. It seems like this would be a good time to establish 'talks' with them. It seems by the blast and the history of them that we could 'warm' our relationship with them. Maybe not??? The link to the blast story. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24084359/ Any thoughts on the subject...

Nearly on the same issue is Carter getting a whole lot of 'beef' from the conservatives for his present trip to visit Hamas. My feelings why and the hell not try and 'normalize' relations with them. What is it going to some how make things worse over in there???

Edited by Guest