Jambands.ca

Electrical help

bouche

hi dare!

we went to jump in the hottube today on account of the crappy weather and it has NO POWER!

I've checked the breaker, and it's fine. Well, the 2 60 amps are at the on position and I reset them. Next I checked the GFI in our shed which is our ultimate protector. I reset that as well. Still no power.

The only other thing that we have is a bridge between breaker box and the shed GFI which I think is another GFI only it is very different looking.

It's under our deck so it's difficult to get at, but there doesn't seem to be a switch like a regular gfi. I open the lid of the grey box and there is something that's about 2 inches by 4 inches and it has a label ON - OFF. It seems like it should be pushed back in, and I can't seem to reach close enough to read the instructions. Is that essentially a switch that threw?

I don't want to force something that has DANGER written all over it.

I hope there is a certified electrician on this board somewhere ;)

It's under our deck so it's difficult to get at, but there doesn't seem to be a switch like a regular gfi. I open the lid of the grey box and there is something that's about 2 inches by 4 inches and it has a label ON - OFF. It seems like it should be pushed back in, and I can't seem to reach close enough to read the instructions. Is that essentially a switch that threw?

I've yet to write my C of Q, so I'm not certified, but I do have the hours completed.

First, there shouldn't be a second GFI on that circuit, (by code anyway) so I'm assuming, without looking at it that, the switch below the deck is a disconnect switch, try re-setting that switch. Unplug the tub first though, if possible.

Outside of physically seeing the switch/box I really can't help too much.

Ok, from what I can tell that is a disconnect switch. Also, it looks as though its tripped, although I can't be 100% certian by the picture.

You'll want to turn that circuit off at the supply (main panel) first.

Then, on the switch under the deck - turn it to the "off" position first, then turn it back to the "on" position and return power to that circuit from the main panel.

If you still have no power after that, I'd recommend getting an electrician in because it could be a couple different things, the disconnect switch has crapoped out or the GFI has crapped out etc. I could be wrong since not being able to actually test or see things in real time makes it hard to offer much detailed (and safe) help.

Hmm, one more question though which I should of asked first.

When you say you reset the 2 60amp breakers, did you mean you turned them "off" then turned them back "on" ?

I didn't have to reset them. I did just what you said. I flicked them off and back on. They didn't seem to be tripped.

The problem with the disconnect is that I don't understand how to throw it back on. I just see that big "brick" with the on off label, and now switches. Do I have to jam that in?

The problem with the disconnect is that I don't understand how to throw it back on. I just see that big "brick" with the on off label, and now switches. Do I have to jam that in?

Ok, from the picture you provided, it looks to me that there is a switch on that box. I circled it below.

Is there any switch on the cover or the side of the box not in view?

eebm9.jpg

larger view:

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/8611/eebm9.jpg

that doesn't seem to act like any switch. it seems to be just fused/formed into the plastic casing. I heaved on it, and the casing flipped up from the cable end and I got a peek and saw wire. If there is some sort of a switch, it must be inside. I felt all around the box without feeling anything switch worthy.

even though I took out the power at the breaker, I still felt uneasy messing around with this box. it's raining, and under the deck is all damp and muddy. probably not the ideal conditions for an electrical neophite like yours truely ;)

If I had rubber balls, I might be more adventurous today.

Yeah, I figured it was a disconnect switch. But I didn't figure on it being a non-fusible disconnect switch, which is why I thought there was a switch prsent. I would close it up exactly the way it was.

Only other thing I can suggest is getting some testers (rated for above 220) and test the live circuit at the GFCI box. If there is power to the GFCI box but no power when the the device is plugged into the GFCI, then you know the GFCI is probally shit (GFCIs are known to just die on occasion), if there is no power up to the GFCI box, then the problem is earlier in the circuit. Process of elimination really.

Your probally better off calling the hot tub folks, and/or an electrican if you don't know someone in your area to help out. Residential work is mainly non-union here in Hamilton so I never really do it. Whern I have or do, hot tubs are never a factor..lol

Sorry Mike, I wish I could help better, but without being hands on, seeing the circuit/box/panel etc it's not easy to nail down.

final result. the disconnect thingy was figured out. I just had to pull that thing On/Off out to realize what it was. So if you flip the thingy over, it puts it into the off position. So that wasn't the problem.

I then opened up the panel of the hottub for an inspection and saw nothing odd. I went further and opened up the box that the big ass power cable goes into and saw a whole bunch of black. Something blew and fried the board. I'm not sure if that's spooky as I thought having breakers and a gfi would halt any type of surge.

So we need actual service to replace the entire circuit board. just when the weather is hot tub perfect!